Bookmark and Share
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
Wac Maybe Hoping For A Merger ?
Mr. Peanut is on a roll !

Post-teleconference with WAC supremo
Posted on 01/26/2011 by dmccarney

Interesting day. Sit around all day waiting for news, then it all hits at once. First commissioner Karl Benson on the future of the Western Athletic Conference, followed by the conclusion of the Tevin Williams saga.

First things first…

Benson wasn’t especially forthcoming after speaking with the eight remaining athletic directors and school presidents via teleconference on Tuesday. Much of what he did say was already covered several weeks ago in San Antonio:

* The league has a “master plan” to add new members, focusing on football-playing schools, that could be finalized within the next 30 to 60 days, and preferably before July 1. He again indicated that there are “schools” prepared to accept invitations.

Of course, Benson declined to identify which schools, or how many, saying instead, “It would be very beneficial to the WAC. The first step is to add at least two football schools. Depending on the outcome of that, it will determine if and when we further direct our plan to non-football schools.”

* Benson indicated the search could take an eastern bent, saying, “We’d like to address geography. That’s an important factor. The better geography you have, the more stable a conference can be.”

And that was about it. No favorites, no specific format, just a general mandate to add more schools in the very near future.

Sorry, I know everyone’s dying for more details, but as a source with direct knowledge of the call told me, “There are several avenues this could take, small or rather large. You just don’t know. There’s nothing you could break right now.”

This person did provide one interesting tidbit, stressing that it has not been discussed in anything more than a passing fashion. Not only will the WAC look to expand, it might even investigate merging with another conference.

It’s hard to imagine any leagues that would be interested in such an offer. The only logical possibilities would be the Sun Belt and Conference USA, and it’s hard to see the benefits. Nonetheless, the mere suggestion indicates that the league could be looking about as far outside the box as possible.

We shall see. You can say this much — things are never dull in the Western Athletic Conference, are they?

BLOG ARTICLE
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/0...c-supremo/
01-27-2011 12:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: Wac Maybe Hoping For A Merger ?
(01-27-2011 12:15 AM)MG61 Wrote:  Mr. Peanut is on a roll !

Interesting day. Sit around all day waiting for news, then it all hits at once. First commissioner Karl Benson on the future of the Western Athletic Conference, followed by the conclusion of the Tevin Williams saga.

First things first…

Benson wasn’t especially forthcoming after speaking with the eight remaining athletic directors and school presidents via teleconference on Tuesday. Much of what he did say was already covered several weeks ago in San Antonio:

* The league has a “master plan” to add new members, focusing on football-playing schools, that could be finalized within the next 30 to 60 days, and preferably before July 1. He again indicated that there are “schools” prepared to accept invitations.

Of course, Benson declined to identify which schools, or how many, saying instead, “It would be very beneficial to the WAC. The first step is to add at least two football schools. Depending on the outcome of that, it will determine if and when we further direct our plan to non-football schools.”

* Benson indicated the search could take an eastern bent, saying, “We’d like to address geography. That’s an important factor. The better geography you have, the more stable a conference can be.”

And that was about it. No favorites, no specific format, just a general mandate to add more schools in the very near future.

Sorry, I know everyone’s dying for more details, but as a source with direct knowledge of the call told me, “There are several avenues this could take, small or rather large. You just don’t know. There’s nothing you could break right now.”

This person did provide one interesting tidbit, stressing that it has not been discussed in anything more than a passing fashion. Not only will the WAC look to expand, it might even investigate merging with another conference.

It’s hard to imagine any leagues that would be interested in such an offer. The only logical possibilities would be the Sun Belt and Conference USA, and it’s hard to see the benefits. Nonetheless, the mere suggestion indicates that the league could be looking about as far outside the box as possible.

We shall see. You can say this much — things are never dull in the Western Athletic Conference, are they?

BLOG ARTICLE

MG61, I get the feeling your really like Benson. You've even given him a nickname, Mr. Peanut!03-lmfao
01-27-2011 12:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Curtzilla Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kyle Busch
(01-27-2011 12:47 AM)CajunT Wrote:  * Benson indicated the search could take an eastern bent

Helloooo Georgia State !
01-27-2011 01:46 AM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2011 12:47 AM)CajunT Wrote:  
(01-27-2011 12:15 AM)MG61 Wrote:  Mr. Peanut is on a roll !

First things first…

BLOG ARTICLE

MG61, I get the feeling your really like Benson. You've even given him a nickname, Mr. Peanut!03-lmfao

Can't take credit. Mr. Peanut is what he is unaffectionately called on the WAC board.:odie:
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2011 08:55 AM by MG61.)
01-27-2011 08:55 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
Why on Earth would the SBC or CUSA want to do that? Why does Karl think anyone wants to save him or his league?
01-27-2011 09:21 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Only merger that makes sense is Big Sky. Those that want to go FBS can do so while keeping most Big Sky rivalries and travel in other sports. NCAA rules contemplate that a conference would have an FBS and FCS football league under one umbrella.
01-27-2011 09:25 AM
Advertisement

bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(01-27-2011 09:25 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Only merger that makes sense is Big Sky. Those that want to go FBS can do so while keeping most Big Sky rivalries and travel in other sports. NCAA rules contemplate that a conference would have an FBS and FCS football league under one umbrella.

Not only the Big Sky, the Southland Conference is another possibility. This is where they are currently looking for their new members. Either way it goes, I still say that the SBC has a great opportunity here that we are not seizing.
01-27-2011 09:41 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(01-27-2011 09:41 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  
(01-27-2011 09:25 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Only merger that makes sense is Big Sky. Those that want to go FBS can do so while keeping most Big Sky rivalries and travel in other sports. NCAA rules contemplate that a conference would have an FBS and FCS football league under one umbrella.

Not only the Big Sky, the Southland Conference is another possibility. This is where they are currently looking for their new members. Either way it goes, I still say that the SBC has a great opportunity here that we are not seizing.

I'm not so sure the Sun Belt isn't getting ready to make a move.
01-27-2011 09:48 AM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

Arkstfan, can you elaborate?

(01-27-2011 09:48 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(01-27-2011 09:41 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

I'm not so sure the Sun Belt isn't getting ready to make a move.
01-27-2011 10:11 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(01-27-2011 09:48 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I'm not so sure the Sun Belt isn't getting ready to make a move.

It must be the Texas A&M rumor...

Seriously, don't tease us like that.
01-27-2011 10:21 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(01-27-2011 09:21 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Why on Earth would the SBC or CUSA want to do that? Why does Karl think anyone wants to save him or his league?

There is no way a CUSA team would leave to join the WAC. They won't even leave to join the MWC.

SBC teams? That depends on what he knows and we may not. What will the new ESPN contract look like? How long does the current contract run? I'm sure it will go down dramatically, but will it be better than what the SBC has? Is there any incentive for a SBC team to join the WAC? Can they make more money? Can they get more exposure?

He needs to get all his ducks in a row, unless he is just acting out of desperation... which seems to be the case. I don't know what he's thinking.
01-27-2011 11:00 AM
Advertisement

bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-27-2011 11:00 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  
(01-27-2011 09:21 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Why on Earth would the SBC or CUSA want to do that? Why does Karl think anyone wants to save him or his league?

There is no way a CUSA team would leave to join the WAC. They won't even leave to join the MWC.

SBC teams? That depends on what he knows and we may not. What will the new ESPN contract look like? How long does the current contract run? I'm sure it will go down dramatically, but will it be better than what the SBC has? Is there any incentive for a SBC team to join the WAC? Can they make more money? Can they get more exposure?

He needs to get all his ducks in a row, unless he is just acting out of desperation... which seems to be the case. I don't know what he's thinking.

I may be wrong, but I believe the SBC contract will be up for renegotiation come 2012. If that is the case, with the current collegiate landscape and ESPN losing out on a couple of conferences, I look for the SBC to go in seeking a contract that will pay each school between $300k to $400k per program. This is based upon the SBC approaching the MAC with respect to conference quality, markets, and current post-season opportunities. If we can add in like a NMSU with their being in the Mountain time zone, I would say we would be closer to the mid $400k area.
01-27-2011 11:17 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Nothing to elaborate on. Circumstances are lining up where the Sun Belt can make a move without sticking its neck out to far and running the risk of getting it chopped off (see WAC vs. CUSA for Texas schools, see WAC vs. MWC for BYU).
01-27-2011 11:25 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(01-27-2011 11:17 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

I may be wrong, but I believe the SBC contract will be up for renegotiation come 2012. If that is the case, with the current collegiate landscape and ESPN losing out on a couple of conferences, I look for the SBC to go in seeking a contract that will pay each school between $300k to $400k per program. This is based upon the SBC approaching the MAC with respect to conference quality, markets, and current post-season opportunities. If we can add in like a NMSU with their being in the Mountain time zone, I would say we would be closer to the mid $400k area.

That sounds kind of high. That's what the WAC is getting with Boise, Nevada, Hawaii, and Fresno in it. However, like you say... ESPN has lost a couple of conferences so they have more money to spend now. All this will have to play out to see if Benson has a leg to stand on or if it would be better for the WAC and the SBC to merge in some kind of way and allow Benson to just retire.
01-27-2011 11:25 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-27-2011 11:25 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  
(01-27-2011 11:17 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

That sounds kind of high. That's what the WAC is getting with Boise, Nevada, Hawaii, and Fresno in it. However, like you say... ESPN has lost a couple of conferences so they have more money to spend now. All this will have to play out to see if Benson has a leg to stand on or if it would be better for the WAC and the SBC to merge in some kind of way and allow Benson to just retire.

Plus you have to factor in the fact that the economics of college football has changed. If Boise, Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno had stayed in the WAC, I could have easily seen you guys getting about $700k per school...or close to it...
01-27-2011 12:06 PM
YJason Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TROY
ESPN will need something to put on the air...so we might be in a position to ask for a little more than we were getting. Either air time, money or some of both.

Things do seem quite enough for some behind the sceens talks to be going on. How does things seem to leak out easer the further west you go? We didn't know who the ACC would invite until they pulled the trigger, but every move the P10/12 contemplated was widely reported.

Don't take this as either a flame on WW or an endorsement of Mr. Peanut, but wasn't WW talking retirement a few years ago? I believe I remember the presidents had to talk him into remaining for a little longer, or did I dream it?
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2011 01:27 PM by YJason.)
01-27-2011 01:24 PM
Advertisement

trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
(01-27-2011 01:24 PM)YJason Wrote:  ESPN will need something to put on the air...so we might be in a position to ask for a little more than we were getting. Either air time, money or some of both.

Things do seem quite enough for some behind the sceens talks to be going on. How does things seem to leak out easer the further west you go? We didn't know who the ACC would invite until they pulled the trigger, but every move the P10/12 contemplated was widely reported.

Don't take this as either a flame on WW or an endorsement of Mr. Peanut, but wasn't WW talking retirement a few years ago? I believe I remember the presidents had to talk him into remaining for a little longer, or did I dream it?

Fans don't want him but the presidents do...who's smarter? 03-lmfao Seriously, I believe that he set a plan and moved forward with it. The category that he's being measured by is progress...he can't make our teams win or lose...
01-27-2011 01:51 PM
VideoGreenEagle Offline
2nd String

(01-27-2011 01:51 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  Fans don't want him but the presidents do...who's smarter? 03-lmfao Seriously, I believe that he set a plan and moved forward with it. The category that he's being measured by is progress...he can't make our teams win or lose...

From what I've been able to gather, there are NO conference commissioners who are popular with fans. In the past 12 months of read excoriating comments about commissioners of the Belt, the WAC, CUSA, the Mountain West, the Big 12 and the MAC. And I think the fact I don't read fan sites from the BIg East, ACC, SEC, Big 10 or Pac 10 is why I haven't seen criticism of their commissioners. The job of a commissioner is to take the blame for the President's decisions.
01-27-2011 02:14 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(01-27-2011 01:24 PM)YJason Wrote:  Things do seem quite enough for some behind the sceens talks to be going on. How does things seem to leak out easer the further west you go? We didn't know who the ACC would invite until they pulled the trigger, but every move the P10/12 contemplated was widely reported.

Take a look at a map of the US time zones. There are 28 FBS schools in the Mountain, Pacific, and Hawaiian time zones.

Before latest realignment there were 10 Pac-10 schools and one Big XII so 11 of 28 were in BCS leagues. It's now 12 of 28. The pool of FBS candidates is small. Start culling based on program and it gets much smaller (ie no one would expect Idaho or Wyoming to be on Pac-10 radar). That means one could guess and have a high probability of being right with that few in the realistic mix, journalists have an easier time because there are fewer targets to work.
01-27-2011 02:23 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
What is the minimum number of sports a conference must sponser?
01-27-2011 06:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.