14) Rudy Giuliani 2%
15) Judd Gregg 2%
16) Gary Johnson 2%
17) Other 2%
18) Donald Trump 1%
19) Haley Barbour 1%
20) Jon Huntsman, Jr. 0%
21) John Thune 0%

I'm absolutely thrilled Palin and Newt did so terrible. I'm stunned Gary Johnson pulled even 2% with Ron Paul in the running... perhaps he can expand the Ron Paul R[evol]ution after all. Ron Paul finished second, and had this been an open straw poll he would have blown the doors off everyone. This was a closed straw poll to GOP state delegates. Ron Paul pulling 11% of the GOP establishment is surprisingly high.
01-24-2011 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: New Hampshire Straw Poll
Fact is, Romney is the early leader and the media is giving in attention. That's a huge problem.
01-24-2011 11:12 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(01-24-2011 11:12 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  Fact is, Romney is the early leader and the media is giving in attention. That's a huge problem.

Do you realize how stunning it is Ron Paul finished 2nd among GOP state delegates in any state? I was a state delegate to the SC GOP convention in 2008. Lemme tell ya ... it's not easy to get in. It's one big establishment buddy-buddy circle jerk on naming delegates. The only reason I became one is there were so many buddy-buddies they decided to go to half vote delegates, and I was an alternate, and was seated when some didn't show.

Ron Paul should perform THE WEAKEST among that crowd of any demographic. He pulls more from progressives and liberals (who agree on transparency, military, civil liberties with Paul) than he does neoconservatives (who agree on NOTHING with Paul). And the soul of the GOP party leadership is still very neoconservative.
01-24-2011 11:17 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(01-24-2011 11:12 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  Fact is, Romney is the early leader and the media is giving in attention. That's a huge problem.

Romney gets nominated I don't vote republican this time around...

I swallowed my pride and voted for McCain but Romney is as authentic as the music you buy on a Beijing Street corner..
01-24-2011 11:46 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Republicans may find themselves in the position where they could beat Obama--if only they didn't have to run someone against him to do it.

I'm thinking the appropriate republican strategy may be to focus on holding the house and taking the senate. I think Obama may prove to have very short coattails. There are a lot more vulnerable democrats than vulnerable republicans among the senators up for re-election. I think Americans have seen enough of one-party rule from both sides to conclude that divided rule is better, even if it means gridlock. Republican efforts to hold the house will be helped because the states losing seats are generally blue, the states gaining seats are generally red, and the legislatures and governors supervising the redistricting are largely R's.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011 11:55 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
01-24-2011 11:55 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(01-24-2011 11:55 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Republican efforts to hold the house will be helped because the states losing seats are generally blue, the states gaining seats are generally red, and the legislatures and governors supervising the redistricting are largely R's.

I understand that districting plays a big role in this, but I can't help but think this is somewhat fallacious.

In simplest terms, the people moving will vote the same way, and thus the seats effectively stay with the party. The only thing that changes is which state gets the representation.

In short, population redistribution does little to change the party divides.

Now, a more detailed analysis can provide evidence that there is an effect. But, I've yet to read any commentary that provided any analysis to justify this assertion.
01-24-2011 12:11 PM
Advertisement

BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
I know it's NH and to be expected, but it's still frightening to see Mittens in that much of a landslide.
01-24-2011 12:15 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
It's too early to speculate. After all this is NH. Funny, I don't think Paul even went to NH.
01-24-2011 01:15 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(01-24-2011 01:15 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  It's too early to speculate. After all this is NH. Funny, I don't think Paul even went to NH.

He didn't.
01-24-2011 02:31 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
Lots of crazy people on that list. The top two I can deal with. 05-stirthepot
01-24-2011 03:08 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Romney looks like the president in a movie where the president is a villain.
01-24-2011 03:12 PM
Advertisement

Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
Ron Paul has no shot at getting the nomination. It's pointless to even speculate like he might.

Romney, Newt, Huckabee are the most likely at this point, and Romney is probably the most likely out of those 3.

Frankly no one that is likely to be in the field gets me excited. Christie jumps in and I'll get interested.

Keep the House, get the Senate. I like that approach.
01-24-2011 06:22 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
GTS...I see nothing here unexpected. Paul gathered 9% in the last election in NH and the state is FULL of Massholes that want nothing more than to make NH an extension of their former locale.

I'm sorry....The only candidate I have worked for and donated a dime to is RP. Still...I know damn well he has absolutely zero chance of becoming POTUS. If he runs again...I will again donate..but I still will do so knowing the outcome is futile. The odds are stacked so firmly against him that Satan would have a better chance of being elected Pope than him leading America.
01-24-2011 07:59 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(01-24-2011 06:22 PM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  Ron Paul has no shot at getting the nomination. It's pointless to even speculate like he might.

Romney, Newt, Huckabee are the most likely at this point, and Romney is probably the most likely out of those 3.

Frankly no one that is likely to be in the field gets me excited. Christie jumps in and I'll get interested.

Romney...NO, Newt...NO, Huckabee?...Hell NO Please tell me that this is not the best the GOP can offer America.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011 08:04 PM by Fo Shizzle.)
01-24-2011 08:03 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(01-24-2011 06:22 PM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  Keep the House, get the Senate. I like that approach.

Get the White House. Repeal Obamacare.

I'd like the Republicans to grab another 40 seats in the House in 2012 which is very "do-able" because of Re-Districting. Get out some pencils and draw!

Honestly... there is no way Obama is going to be re-elected if unemployment is still above 8% in 22 months. And I don't see unemployment dropping anytime soon. I see it increasing as the upcoming stagflation wave kicks in.

If the economy collapses (or even stays the same) between now and November 2012, the Republicans could Nominate Ron Paul and he could be elected.

After all, anything could be an improvement.
01-24-2011 08:04 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(01-24-2011 08:04 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  
(01-24-2011 06:22 PM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  Keep the House, get the Senate. I like that approach.

I'd like the Republicans to grab another 40 seats in the House in 2012 which is very "do-able" because of Re-Districting. Get out some pencils and draw!

Honestly... there is no way Obama is going to be re-elected if unemployment is still above 8% in 22 months. And I don't see unemployment dropping anytime soon. I see it increasing as the upcoming stagflation wave kicks in.

If the economy collapses (or even stays the same) between now and November 2012, the Republicans could Nominate Ron Paul and he could be elected.

I can not imagine the horror we are going to go through if RP can be elected due to the economy.... I'm going to leave the country ASAP.03-lmfao
01-24-2011 08:07 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(01-24-2011 08:07 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(01-24-2011 08:04 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  

I can not imagine the horror we are going to go through if RP can be elected due to the economy.... I'm going to leave the country ASAP.03-lmfao

The Republicans could nominate Dick Cheney and he'd beat Obama.

In other words, Obama will have his 30% minority/ hard core leftist base and everyone else would be voting Republican.
01-24-2011 08:20 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(01-24-2011 08:03 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(01-24-2011 06:22 PM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  Ron Paul has no shot at getting the nomination. It's pointless to even speculate like he might.

Romney...NO, Newt...NO, Huckabee?...Hell NO Please tell me that this is not the best the GOP can offer America.

There is better out there, but they have to run. I want Christie to run in a major way. But he seems adament that he won't.

WMD the republicans won't nominate Paul, regardless if he could win a general against Obama. If Paul could win a general, any of the other candidates could as well.

Mitch Daniels is intriguing as a candidate.

Bottom line, Christie is the only candidate that could get people really talking. Palin is the other, but she it too awful to even comtemplate getting the nomination.

Bottom line, the economy needs to still be in the tank for a republican to win. If it's on the upswing Obama wins in a walk. Not because he's better in so much as the GOP offers nothing better.
01-24-2011 08:22 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(01-24-2011 08:22 PM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  
(01-24-2011 08:03 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

There is better out there, but they have to run. I want Christie to run in a major way. But he seems adament that he won't.

WMD the republicans won't nominate Paul, regardless if he could win a general against Obama. If Paul could win a general, any of the other candidates could as well.

Mitch Daniels is intriguing as a candidate.

Bottom line, Christie is the only candidate that could get people really talking. Palin is the other, but she it too awful to even comtemplate getting the nomination.

Bottom line, the economy needs to still be in the tank for a republican to win. If it's on the upswing Obama wins in a walk. Not because he's better in so much as the GOP offers nothing better.

Yes...As Carville told Clinton...."It's the economy stupid"
All the GOP needs to do is bring in the independent and moderate dem. voters. They totally screwed up with Palin on the ticket last time. If she is there again...Obama will have a second term. I still maintain if Joe Lieberman had been the running mate...the GOP would have given Obama a run for his money.
01-24-2011 08:32 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
I'm surprised Palin is as high as she is and Christie is as low as he is. Trump? Give me a friggin break.
01-24-2011 09:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.