Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting Realignment Talk
Bookmark and Share
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
Interesting Realignment Talk
There is a powerful force against more changes in the bigger conferences.
Check this interview with Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com (the guy that broke the major realignment stories of the summer).
Link
Go to about the 3:30 mark of the interview.
ESPN is taking measures to stop or at least slow future movements among the Pac 10-12, the Big 12-10, the Big 10-12 and the SEC.
11-17-2010 08:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Interesting Realignment Talk
That really came out when the Pac-16 deal blew up.

To me its counter-intuitive at first thought because its easy to wrap up the world if the SEC, Big 10, and Pac-10 go to 16.

Then when you think back over, it makes perfect sense. If all the clout is in those few hands, they hold all the leverage with the networks.
11-17-2010 09:06 PM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Does the WAC have a back up plan in case they lose Hawaii?
11-18-2010 01:07 AM
Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(11-18-2010 01:07 AM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  Does the WAC have a back up plan in case they lose Hawaii?

I'm sure the WAC will add someone like the Devry Institute of Phoenix Online Branch Campus located at the Prestigious San Jacinto Community College. Immediately following such an amazing addition, the La Tech fans will come out in droves talking about how this addition will be the greatest thing they have ever heard of ever and will proclaim dominance over every non-bcs conference in existance. All the while, every fan from every other conference in the country will...

[Image: facepalm.jpg]

The moral of this story is...don't do drugs.
11-18-2010 03:04 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(11-18-2010 01:07 AM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  Does the WAC have a back up plan in case they lose Hawaii?

Who knows.

I'm sure step one is to make triple sure UNT and ULL haven't changed their minds.

If Hawaii were to bail, the auto bids and NCAA money are gone. Tech's president tells local writers that he is extremely impressed with the vision and leadership of the Sun Belt conference and sees it as a chance to advance the Tech program (ie. CUSA still isn't answering calls even though not calling collect any more).

Texas State and UTSA re-affirm their committment to FBS and add a "with sugar on top" to their application to Sun Belt.
11-18-2010 10:57 AM
Advertisement

CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

I Root For: Louisiana
(11-18-2010 10:57 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Who knows.

I'm sure step one is to make triple sure UNT and ULL haven't changed their minds.

If Hawaii were to bail, the auto bids and NCAA money are gone. Tech's president tells local writers that he is extremely impressed with the vision and leadership of the Sun Belt conference and sees it as a chance to advance the Tech program (ie. CUSA still isn't answering calls even though not calling collect any more).

Texas State and UTSA re-affirm their committment to FBS and add a "with sugar on top" to their application to Sun Belt.

We haven't changed our minds. I can't speak for North Texas, but considering current economics and looming budget cuts no way is UL diving off the deep end into the WAC.
11-18-2010 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(11-18-2010 11:11 AM)CajunT Wrote:  

Who knows.

We haven't changed our minds. I can't speak for North Texas, but considering current economics and looming budget cuts no way is UL diving off the deep end into the WAC.

Saw this in a post a while back on gomean green.com & think it really sums up UNTs opinion of joining the wac.

Secretary: "RV, Benson from the WAC is on the phone for ya."

Villarreal: "Tell him no thanks, still not interested."
:odie:
11-18-2010 11:32 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(11-17-2010 08:15 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  There is a powerful force against more changes in the bigger conferences.
Check this interview with Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com (the guy that broke the major realignment stories of the summer).
Link
Go to about the 3:30 mark of the interview.
ESPN is taking measures to stop or at least slow future movements among the Pac 10-12, the Big 12-10, the Big 10-12 and the SEC.

You mean the guy that was pimping Texas to the Big 10 and PAC 10 ad nauseum? No thanks (he wasn't breaking stories...he was trying to create them). The guys a tool, he's lost all cred' as far as I'm concerned.
11-18-2010 11:37 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Brown wasn't creating stories. Texas was hell bent on Pac-10 until ESPN and other power brokers intervened.
11-18-2010 11:57 AM
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

(11-18-2010 11:57 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Brown wasn't creating stories. Texas was hell bent on Pac-10 until ESPN and other power brokers intervened.

You're right...but he was their tool. No journalistic integrity as far as I'm concerned. When listening to him, you'd might as well be listening to the UT A.D. If you understand and are all right with this, then ok. But please don't try to pass this guy off as a legitimate news source (with all due respect to UT; he's more a propaganda maven than reporter).
11-18-2010 12:21 PM
Shof Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns

Who knows.

Benson was in Texas this week looking over facilities in San Marcos and San Antonio. A question was posed WRT future WAC membership, and once again he mentioned NT, meaning he would call them again to gauge interest; but that was the only school he mentioned by name.
11-18-2010 12:47 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(11-18-2010 12:21 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(11-18-2010 11:57 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Brown wasn't creating stories. Texas was hell bent on Pac-10 until ESPN and other power brokers intervened.

You're right...but he was their tool. No journalistic integrity as far as I'm concerned. When listening to him, you'd might as well be listening to the UT A.D. If you understand and are all right with this, then ok. But please don't try to pass this guy off as a legitimate news source (with all due respect to UT; he's more a propaganda maven than reporter).

He may have been getting used, but he was the first one with the news that the Pac10 wanted to expand and that Texas was the prize. As far as I know, nothing he's reported was ever proven false.
Not sure why the animosity, but the guy nailed it.
And what he speaks about in this interview makes a lot of sense.
11-18-2010 12:49 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(11-18-2010 12:47 PM)Shof Wrote:  Benson was in Texas this week looking over facilities in San Marcos and San Antonio. A question was posed WRT future WAC membership, and once again he mentioned NT, meaning he would call them again to gauge interest; but that was the only school he mentioned by name.

North Texas must be giving him some indication of interest....no one would be that persistent without reason.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2010 01:07 PM by Fanof49ASU.)
11-18-2010 12:50 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I would rather hear from a reporter that is getting inside information and is reporting what forces are influencing the direction of things than to read yet another column from a sports "reporter" at a "legit" outlet like a TV station or a newspaper or magazine who gets bored one night and takes the crayons and US map place mat from the kids meal at the restaurant to draw up a dream realignment scenario that has no basis in fact and is easily refuted with any knowledge of the business, or worse the pieces written by another reporter who indirectly cites that crayon fueled piece by saying "there are some reports".
11-18-2010 01:04 PM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(11-18-2010 12:50 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(11-18-2010 12:47 PM)Shof Wrote:  Benson was in Texas this week looking over facilities in San Marcos and San Antonio. A question was posed WRT future WAC membership, and once again he mentioned NT, meaning he would call them again to gauge interest; but that was the only school he mentioned by name.

North Texas must be giving him some indication of interest....no one would be that persistent without reason.

Agreed. If they truly said "no" as forcefully as some of our mean green friends would have us believe, then Benson would not be continuing these statements.
11-18-2010 01:14 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(11-18-2010 01:04 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I would rather hear from a reporter that is getting inside information and is reporting what forces are influencing the direction of things than to read yet another column from a sports "reporter" at a "legit" outlet like a TV station or a newspaper or magazine who gets bored one night and takes the crayons and US map place mat from the kids meal at the restaurant to draw up a dream realignment scenario that has no basis in fact and is easily refuted with any knowledge of the business, or worse the pieces written by another reporter who indirectly cites that crayon fueled piece by saying "there are some reports".

That's one helluva sentance asf'. 04-bow
11-18-2010 01:18 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
With his new job, he doesn't get to talk much....only listens......so he takes it out online.
11-18-2010 01:20 PM
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(11-18-2010 01:14 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  
(11-18-2010 12:50 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  

Agreed. If they truly said "no" as forcefully as some of our mean green friends would have us believe, then Benson would not be continuing these statements.

Denton Record-Chronicle Mean Green Blog

UNT mailbag9:34 AM Thu, Nov 18, 2010 | Permalink
Brett Vito E-mail News tips
TT was wondering -- like many people have over the last few months -- if UNT could be warming up to the idea of moving to the WAC. It's the story that won't die.

TT mentioned that Texas State and Texas-San Antonio might have been asked to try to talk UNT into the switch.

If UNT hasn't made the jump after being approached as many times as it has already, I don't see the school making the move now.

Hawaii has talked about going independent. Where would UNT be then?

The Sun Belt is a whole lot more stable. UNT would have a couple of Texas rivals in the WAC, but the school's athletic program would essentially be saying out loud to everyone that it considers itself to be on the same level as UTSA and Texas State, a couple of teams moving up to the FBS ranks. UNT has been there for a long time.

I just don't see it.

gomeangreen.com thread
http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index....ntry528442
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2010 01:30 PM by MG61.)
11-18-2010 01:26 PM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(11-18-2010 01:18 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(11-18-2010 01:04 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I would rather hear from a reporter that is getting inside information and is reporting what forces are influencing the direction of things than to read yet another column from a sports "reporter" at a "legit" outlet like a TV station or a newspaper or magazine who gets bored one night and takes the crayons and US map place mat from the kids meal at the restaurant to draw up a dream realignment scenario that has no basis in fact and is easily refuted with any knowledge of the business, or worse the pieces written by another reporter who indirectly cites that crayon fueled piece by saying "there are some reports".

That's one helluva sentance asf'. 04-bow

Its like the guy that can't get a word into a conversation without getting interupted. If he says it loud enough and fast enough without pausing, he can finish the sentence without interruption.
11-18-2010 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.