Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC May Expand
Bookmark and Share
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
MAC May Expand
http://www.annarbor.com/news/emu-ad-mac-...ar-future/

According to the above link, the MAC may look to expand within the next two years, and Temple more than likely will be joining a new conference. I said all along that the Big East and Temple would more than likely strike a deal. I beleive the key to that deal is Villanova (since both Temple and Villanova are in the Philly area). Since Villanova has been extended an offer to bring their football up to the FBS Big East level, odds are that Temple and its now solid football and always solid basketball programs will join the Big East. As for MAC additions, I could definitely see offers to either WKU and MTSU, or both. That is, unless Missouri State decides to move up their football to the FBS level. Then I could see them replacing either WKU or MTSU on that list.

Things are getting interesting...is the SBC Office paying attention to all of this?
09-22-2010 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
RE: MAC May Expand
(09-22-2010 02:17 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  http://www.annarbor.com/news/emu-ad-mac-...ar-future/

According to the above link, the MAC may look to expand within the next two years, and Temple more than likely will be joining a new conference. I said all along that the Big East and Temple would more than likely strike a deal. I beleive the key to that deal is Villanova (since both Temple and Villanova are in the Philly area). Since Villanova has been extended an offer to bring their football up to the FBS Big East level, odds are that Temple and its now solid football and always solid basketball programs will join the Big East. As for MAC additions, I could definitely see offers to either WKU and MTSU, or both. That is, unless Missouri State decides to move up their football to the FBS level. Then I could see them replacing either WKU or MTSU on that list.

Things are getting interesting...is the SBC Office paying attention to all of this?

What in your opinion does the MAC provide to either to entice them?

Other the false PERCEPTION that it is better in football?

I'd think the move would do more harm to their baseball programs.

I also do not think that the move offers anything of benefit to their hoops programs (both M and W).
09-22-2010 02:29 PM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-22-2010 02:29 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  
(09-22-2010 02:17 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  http://www.annarbor.com/news/emu-ad-mac-...ar-future/

I also do not think that the move offers anything of benefit to their hoops programs (both M and W).

One thing the MAC has over the SBC is perception. With the WAC all but dead, the MAC will move up for a greater share of the BCS proceeds that are split amongst the Non-AQ's. That means, if the MAC continues to finish ahead of the SBC, a greater payout per school is possible depending upon where the MAC falls (otherwise this will be negated as the money will be split amongst 14 teams). On top of that, the MAC should be ready to renegotiate its television deal with ESPN, so that will also be a way to sway them with more money. Even further, the MAC's RPI in M Basketball seems to higher than the SBC (16 compared to 21). So, in a nutshell, if it is sold right, it would be hard for most schools to turn down.
09-22-2010 02:41 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-22-2010 02:41 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

One thing the MAC has over the SBC is perception. With the WAC all but dead, the MAC will move up for a greater share of the BCS proceeds that are split amongst the Non-AQ's. That means, if the MAC continues to finish ahead of the SBC, a greater payout per school is possible depending upon where the MAC falls (otherwise this will be negated as the money will be split amongst 14 teams). On top of that, the MAC should be ready to renegotiate its television deal with ESPN, so that will also be a way to sway them with more money. Even further, the MAC's RPI in M Basketball seems to higher than the SBC (16 compared to 21). So, in a nutshell, if it is sold right, it would be hard for most schools to turn down.

That RPI in basketball was last year, one of the SB's worse in recent memory. Also, that counts Temple. You take Temple out (should they go to Big East) and the SB gets the edge over the MAC.
09-22-2010 02:43 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte

The MAC is a bus league centered around multiple Ohio schools; good for NORTHERN schools, but not for Southern schools. I do not see either MT or WKU leaving the SBC for a lateral to the MAC and its frozen tundra.
09-22-2010 02:45 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns

It's still a killer for baseball and that's very important for WKU and MT.
09-22-2010 02:46 PM
Advertisement

bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-22-2010 02:43 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

That RPI in basketball was last year, one of the SB's worse in recent memory. Also, that counts Temple. You take Temple out (should they go to Big East) and the SB gets the edge over the MAC.

That RPI did not include Temple. Temple is in the A10 for all other sports except football.
09-22-2010 02:51 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
If UNT turned down a WAC with Boise in it; what make anyone think the MAC could offer anything enticing to MTSU and WKU?

Don't get me wrong, they have some nice schools and work as hard as anybody..but do you really up and leave for a lateral move? I doubt it, plus everyone in the Belt seems pretty content at this time (unless C-USA comes knocking 03-cloud9).
09-22-2010 03:09 PM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
Too many possibilities for WKU/MTSU to even consider MAC right now. Potential shuffling of C-USA, expansion to SBC, etc. I'd want to see how this all plays out. I would not be interested in jumping to MAC at this point.
09-22-2010 03:16 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-22-2010 02:51 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  
(09-22-2010 02:43 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

That RPI did not include Temple. Temple is in the A10 for all other sports except football.

Haha, yeah I had a brain fart.
09-22-2010 03:25 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
the MAC is a bottomless pit. it's been around for 50 plus years and they've been stagnant for many of them.

On the other hand, the Belt just secured it's second bowl bid in just 10 years of FBS football! We've fleshed out our roster and added some solid programs with a good geographic footprint, one where every member can travel to the others at minimal cost (except UNT, sorry guys).

It just makes more sense to stay together. the WAC is as good as gone, so we'll get that much more of the pie. The membership is solid and rivalries are developing nicely. we have two great bowls INSIDE our footpring. the list just keeps going on and on. we may not be a power 6 conference, but we're growing and i'm proud of us.

I'd like to think we're strong enough now to where if C-USA were raided again of their cream, our membership would stand firm. If that were to happen, you may see the demise of C-USA, at which time we could bring in the teams in our footprint that we wanted and really strengthen our hold on the southeast mid-major market.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2010 04:03 PM by Burn the Horse.)
09-22-2010 04:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(09-22-2010 04:01 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  the MAC is a bottomless pit. it's been around for 50 plus years and they've been stagnant for many of them.

On the other hand, the Belt just secured it's second bowl bid in just 10 years of FBS football! We've fleshed out our roster and added some solid programs with a good geographic footprint, one where every member can travel to the others at minimal cost (except UNT, sorry guys).

It just makes more sense to stay together. the WAC is as good as gone, so we'll get that much more of the pie. The membership is solid and rivalries are developing nicely. we have two great bowls INSIDE our footpring. the list just keeps going on and on. we may not be a power 6 conference, but we're growing and i'm proud of us.

I'd like to think we're strong enough now to where if C-USA were raided again of their cream, our membership would stand firm. If that were to happen, you may see the demise of C-USA, at which time we could bring in the teams in our footprint that we wanted and really strengthen our hold on the southeast mid-major market.

Being from Troy, you probably didn't know this 05-stirthepot.......but.......it's just 46 miles further to UNT than to FIU from Troy and DFW is a major nearby airport. Also keep in mind that while Troy may recruit heavily in Florida, Arkansas State, ULL and ULM recruit heavily in Texas. Go on-line and check. Beleive you will find that it is much cheaper to fly from Miami to DFW than from Miami to Montgomery. UNT may be easier to get to than Troy for a number of members.05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2010 04:59 PM by MG61.)
09-22-2010 04:27 PM
UABGT Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB
La tech to the mac football only is my bet
09-22-2010 04:33 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(09-22-2010 04:33 PM)UABGT Wrote:  La tech to the mac football only is my bet

Where would they put their other sports ? Inquiring minds want to know.:odie:
09-22-2010 04:49 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee

Middle Tennessee is a SOUTHERN SCHOOL. There is nothing attractive, absolutely nothing, about the MAC to MT fans.
09-22-2010 05:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
WKU and MTSU would be crazy to leave the Sun Belt for the MAC.

The SBC had a down year in basketball last year, but I still think the SBC has better overall basketball programs than the MAC. Would those schools really want to send their football teams up north to play in the much colder conditions? Plus the MAC doesn't even come close to the SBC when it comes to baseball.

Just seems like a losing situation to leave imo.
09-22-2010 05:23 PM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
I have no clue why the OP thinks Villanova moving up increases the likelihood of Temple to the BE. It vastly decreases it, because Temple adds nothing (i.e., Philadelphia market) at that point. You just get another poorly supported team whose excellent HC will be hired away in a year or two by some big program and then they'll be back in mediocrity.
09-22-2010 06:08 PM
Gibson Tiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis

The Big East is a possibility for Temple but I think C-USA is also a possible destination for them.Before the alliance talk with the Mountain West began the C-USA rumor was the league going to 14 adding Temple & TCU.Who knows where that stands now.
09-22-2010 06:57 PM
UABGT Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB
(09-22-2010 04:49 PM)MG61 Wrote:  

OVC, Southland, Southern etc
09-22-2010 08:27 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
(09-22-2010 08:27 PM)UABGT Wrote:  
(09-22-2010 04:49 PM)MG61 Wrote:  

OVC, Southland, Southern etc

I think that the MAC made the football arrangement with Temple in hopes that they would eventually join for all sports. I don't think that anybody has been all that happy with it since then and I doubt that they would do it again.

MTSU... don't think they want the MAC. Period. WKU was ready to go 5 years ago. That ship has sailed.

Of course... Cleveland is only an hour further than Hot Springs... 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2010 08:39 PM by Hilltopper2K.)
09-22-2010 08:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.