Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WAC to sue Nevada, Fresno, MWC
Bookmark and Share
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
WAC to sue Nevada, Fresno, MWC
The Reno Gazette-Journal has learned that the Western Athletic Conference will file a lawsuit against Nevada, Fresno State and the Mountain West Conference.

The suit is in response to the two schools’ revelations that they plan to leave the conference for the Mountain West in 2011.

The RGJ has obtained a copy of the lawsuit.

Jane Tors, special assistant to the president for media relations, confirmed Nevada had received the lawsuit and said President Milton Glick was not immediately available for comment.

“On behalf of President Glick, we’re disappointed by this,” Tors said. “The primary reason we’re disappointed is the suit was filed before any discussions had ensued. We had publicly indicated that these matters can be resolved and that they should be resolved directly between the parties.”

WAC commissioner Karl Benson said earlier Monday during the weekly WAC football coaches teleconference call that he was “not prepared to address any legal issues right now.” Attempts to reach him Monday afternoon were unsuccessful.

The lawsuit, through the Golden, Colo., office of Bradley, Devitt, Haas & Watkins, claims more than 20 allegations. It was filed in District Court in Jefferson County, Colorado.

A message left with attorney Jon Bradley was not immediately returned.

The WAC is seeking that Nevada and Fresno State not withdraw from the conference before June 30, 2012, that all defendants (including the Mountain West) be prohibited from scheduling contests that interfere with games to be played against remaining WAC members through 2011-12, and for further relief as the court sees just.

Nevada and Fresno State accepted the MWC’s invitation on Aug. 13. Both indicated their desire to join the MWC in 2011.

http://www.rgj.com/section/blogs16?plckC...d=blogDest
09-13-2010 10:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: WAC to sue Nevada, Fresno, MWC
Everyone knew this was coming and they are still disappointed?

That is like being disappointed that you did not win the lotto.
09-14-2010 07:22 AM
VideoGreenEagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNT
Get you popcorn, this is going to be interesting.
09-14-2010 08:28 AM
UABGT Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB
WAC tries to screw the MWC and sue when of blows up in their face. Don't you just love this country.
09-14-2010 08:41 AM
Advertisement

bmwilder139 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ULM
(09-14-2010 08:41 AM)UABGT Wrote:  WAC tries to screw the MWC and sue when of blows up in their face. Don't you just love this country.

Exactly. So stupid. 03-puke
09-14-2010 08:48 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Wait a minute, the WAC tries to underhandidly work with BYU to assist them in leaving the MWC and join the WAC, the MWC catches wind of it and legally invites Fresno and Nevada who gladly accept, and then the WAC decides to sue...this makes absolutely no sense...
09-14-2010 10:05 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(09-14-2010 10:05 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  Wait a minute, the WAC tries to underhandidly work with BYU to assist them in leaving the MWC and join the WAC, the MWC catches wind of it and legally invites Fresno and Nevada who gladly accept, and then the WAC decides to sue...this makes absolutely no sense...

I agee, the case has little merit. However, a friendly court may issue an injunction forcing the two schools to uphold the contract until the case gets around to being heard. It's a stalling tactic by the WAC to try to get the two schools to stick-around until they can bolster their conference with other members. Looks like it might be there lst shot.
09-14-2010 10:13 AM
Advertisement

ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(09-14-2010 08:41 AM)UABGT Wrote:  WAC tries to screw the MWC and sue when of blows up in their face. Don't you just love this country.

Yep, try to screw your neighbor and then look for an attorney when he screws you in self defense . . . the WAC leadership is retarded . . . 03-lmfao
09-14-2010 11:21 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
the NCAA needs to develop a "Castle Law" for this very reason. 03-lmfao
09-14-2010 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
The suit has nothing to do with the buyouts or such. The Reno paper posted the complaint, which is merely a request for an injunction to require Fresno and Nevada to play in the WAC until June 30, 2012.
09-14-2010 12:22 PM
Advertisement

AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(09-14-2010 10:05 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  Wait a minute, the WAC tries to underhandidly work with BYU to assist them in leaving the MWC and join the WAC, the MWC catches wind of it and legally invites Fresno and Nevada who gladly accept, and then the WAC decides to sue...this makes absolutely no sense...

I'll add to that, not only is it nonsensical but it is also expensive.

I'm curious about a couple of things, (did not RTFA)

Did the conference members vote to sue?

and

Who picks up the legal fees?

Because it seems to me that the conference is wasting their money, and if LaTech is sharing in the fees, that means its wasting La. taxpayer money which really means that its wasting MY money AND yours.
09-14-2010 12:23 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-14-2010 12:22 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  The suit has nothing to do with the buyouts or such. The Reno paper posted the complaint, which is merely a request for an injunction to require Fresno and Nevada to play in the WAC until June 30, 2012.

Correct. This whole thing is about the timing.

The WAC believes that Fresno and Nevada's announcement came too late for them to leave after the 2011 season. If those two schools leave, the WAC would need permission from the NCAA to play with just six football schools since no one will be ready to move into the WAC by then.

If the schools stay through 2012, someone moves in to take their place and it's somewhat business as usual.

This is an injunction the WAC better win, or they are in deeper do do than they're in right now.
09-16-2010 07:47 AM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
(09-16-2010 07:47 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  
(09-14-2010 12:22 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  The suit has nothing to do with the buyouts or such. The Reno paper posted the complaint, which is merely a request for an injunction to require Fresno and Nevada to play in the WAC until June 30, 2012.

The WAC believes that Fresno and Nevada's announcement came too late for them to leave after the 2011 season. If those two schools leave, the WAC would need permission from the NCAA to play with just six football schools since no one will be ready to move into the WAC by then.

If the schools stay through 2012, someone moves in to take their place and it's somewhat business as usual.

This is an injunction the WAC better win, or they are in deeper do do than they're in right now.

Please lose WAC, please lose.
09-16-2010 10:33 AM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(09-16-2010 10:33 AM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  
(09-16-2010 07:47 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

Please lose WAC, please lose.

Why are you worried about the WAC? I hate to see them go out; they're not a threat to CUSA or the SBC. I hope they manage to get UTSA and Texas State up and fill in with some non-football teams to boost the conference. Perhaps they'll even take Denver off your hands.
09-16-2010 03:05 PM
stebo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
How can the WAC possibly replace ANYONE by 2012? UTSA has yet to play a single snap of football. Their first game will be next year - 2011. They cannot play in the WAC in 2012. They cannot even play in the WAC in 2013. The earliest that they could play in the WAC, should they qualify for FBS status - and if the moratorium is lifted - would be 2014. The WAC knows that it is going to be down to 6 teams, they just want to get some money out of it. This is sour grapes. The WAC is on life support, they are officially the Big West. Actually, they are in worse shape than the Big West because they are at risk of losing their auto bids to all NCAA sanctioned events. The Big West had their non-football schools to provide safety in that regard. What a mess.

But when NT moved up, we needed a home and we took the Big West invite to provide that home. UTSA (the "Runners") and TSU@SM will jump at the chance to be in a "bona-fide" FBS conference, just as we all did. I love it, the Belt will move up in stature and finally gain some separation from them. They will be (after the departures) the worst football conference in the country, without a doubt.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2010 06:38 PM by stebo.)
09-16-2010 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.