Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

That $5 million?
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
That $5 million?
Nevada says, they don't have to pay because they didn't sign the contract and Fresno doesn't have to pay if they play in the WAC in 2011.
08-19-2010 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
RE: That $5 million?
(08-19-2010 09:34 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Nevada says, they don't have to pay because they didn't sign the contract and Fresno doesn't have to pay if they play in the WAC in 2011.

03-lmfao They'll definitely be there for the 2011 season. Did WW write that contract?
08-19-2010 09:36 AM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Not sure who is telling the truth, but ESPN reports that the $5 million buyout was Fresno's idea.

"On a conference call Friday with the other seven WAC presidents, Fresno State president John Welty made a motion to sign a binding agreement that included a $5 million buyout if any of the schools left the conference within five years, according to sources. Nevada president Milt Glick also was on the call, and according to sources, he and Welty signed the agreement."
08-19-2010 09:41 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(08-19-2010 09:41 AM)dchi72 Wrote:  Not sure who is telling the truth, but ESPN reports that the $5 million buyout was Fresno's idea.

"On a conference call Friday with the other seven WAC presidents, Fresno State president John Welty made a motion to sign a binding agreement that included a $5 million buyout if any of the schools left the conference within five years, according to sources. Nevada president Milt Glick also was on the call, and according to sources, he and Welty signed the agreement."

I truly in my heart hope that it was in fact Fresno's idea. I love the idea of them having to stick around longer to avoid paying it because... its simply funny.

Buyouts are the dumbest idea ever and are evidence that most people entrusted with college athletic departments aren't bright enough to hold that trust.

Nothing is worse than having to work on a cooperative effort with someone who doesn't want to be a part of the cooperative effort. Much better to make them give a year's heads up warning and be rid of them rather than do a stupid penalty idea.
08-19-2010 09:59 AM
Advertisement

johnnylightnin Offline
Huh?

Nevada says they didn't sign it, but they admit to having verbally agreed to it. I think, if Benson had a spine, he could get it out of them. Alas, he probably won't.
08-19-2010 10:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Doesn't really matter. They just stay an extra year and don't have to pay.
08-19-2010 10:33 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
When is the earliest Nevada can play in the MWC ?

Wasn't the deadline for conference changes on June 30 ?

Nevada and Fresno still in WAC for the 2011 season ?

(08-19-2010 09:59 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(08-19-2010 09:41 AM)dchi72 Wrote:  Not sure who is telling the truth, but ESPN reports that the $5 million buyout was Fresno's idea.

I truly in my heart hope that it was in fact Fresno's idea. I love the idea of them having to stick around longer to avoid paying it because... its simply funny.

Buyouts are the dumbest idea ever and are evidence that most people entrusted with college athletic departments aren't bright enough to hold that trust.

Nothing is worse than having to work on a cooperative effort with someone who doesn't want to be a part of the cooperative effort. Much better to make them give a year's heads up warning and be rid of them rather than do a stupid penalty idea.
08-19-2010 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-19-2010 11:01 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  When is the earliest Nevada can play in the MWC ?

its a conference deadline not an NCAA thing. NCAA has no control over expansion and in theory teams could move whenever they want. its more or less the individual leagues that set entry and exit deadlines...

I imagine for the right amount of money FSU and Nevada can leave after this season if they want
08-20-2010 01:17 AM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

(08-19-2010 11:01 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  When is the earliest Nevada can play in the MWC ?

According to the WACs legal counsel they must stay for 2 seasons.
08-20-2010 07:50 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(08-20-2010 07:50 AM)dchi72 Wrote:  According to the WACs legal counsel they must stay for 2 seasons.

Pretty standard. The window to leave 2011 closed June 30.

The $5 million is only for first to depart. I will wager that before it is all over that Nevada will produce documentation that they sent their notice of withdrawal to the league office first. That invalidates Fresno's penalty and Nevada having not signed (if it is contract as reported rather than bylaw and there is not other evidence of assent) will attempt to avoid the penalty as well.

Several reports indicate that Fresno and Nevada have agreed to split the penalty if it is imposed and the MWC has reportedly agreed to pay up to half.

If they pay the penalty, they would be entitled to early departure under most agreements. When FIU joined we needed an immediate member and picked up part of their departure cost.

I don't believe MWC would be offering to help with the cost unless they wanted them in place for 2011 and in the end that's probably what happens. The sides sit down and reach a negotiated number that is less than $5 million and they leave after this season. They'll do that because the WAC would easily spend $500,000 to $1 million just trying to get the money because suits against state institutions involve extra wrinkles. Plus the time wasted waiting to get before a judge is worth something.
08-20-2010 08:04 AM
Advertisement

dchi72 Offline
1st String

Benson and the WAC legal council are stating that both insitutions will be required to pay $5 million.

Will it happen? Guess that is up to the courts.
08-20-2010 08:09 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(08-20-2010 08:09 AM)dchi72 Wrote:  Benson and the WAC legal council are stating that both insitutions will be required to pay $5 million.

Will it happen? Guess that is up to the courts.

That will be hard to do if it is for the first to leave. Technically once the first notice was received, the league no longer was an FBS league so there will be some fun arguments. I can't remember my civ pro that well when it comes to state institutions, but I think they have to sue each individually in their own state. In other words one suit filed in Fresno and one in Reno.

There will be a settlement and it will be less than $5 million.
08-20-2010 08:20 AM
stebo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
I didn't see this thread - I posted something very similar this morning. Once one school left, the agreement is void. Just like NMSU and La Tech could leave on their own now with no penalty. The schools have a right to protect their own interests above any secret handshake. They agreed to be loyal to one another, not the WAC with Texas State or the UTSA Rattlesnakes (that have yet to even play a down of football). All bets were off when the first invite went out and was accepted. My guess would be that Fresno accepted first - they had the press conference first - they announced first. The two schools will probably pay $1.25 million each for half of the fee - and MWC chips in the other half (in the form of waiving their entry fees). In the end, both schools will be in a MUCH stronger conference - BYU doesn't go anywhere and the WAC is officially the new Big West.
08-21-2010 07:56 AM
Advertisement

bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
The $5M is really not as big a deal as everyone thinks. At the end of the day, both Nevada and Fresno can join the MWC with issues of the $5M still looming. Then, the WAC will have to sue them both, which can and may drag out in the courts for at least 2 years. At that point, that $10M penalty will be settled for about $3-4M, plus attorney's fees and expenses. After 2 years, both schools will have raised enough money to pay that bill together...not really a big deal.
08-21-2010 08:11 AM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

(08-21-2010 08:11 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  The $5M is really not as big a deal as everyone thinks. At the end of the day, both Nevada and Fresno can join the MWC with issues of the $5M still looming. Then, the WAC will have to sue them both, which can and may drag out in the courts for at least 2 years. At that point, that $10M penalty will be settled for about $3-4M, plus attorney's fees and expenses. After 2 years, both schools will have raised enough money to pay that bill together...not really a big deal.

With the State of California issuing IOUs instead of paying thier bills it becomes a big deal. Especially since payment is due in 60 days.

California is forcing employees to take unpaid days off. They are cutting social programs left and right. The leftist political forces will pound this into the ground. They will not let a state institution use any state money to pay for an athletic exit fee when they can use it for political gain. If Fresno is able to pull the money together from private sources they will still use this event to make political points.

They will run commercials telling the people of California how many state employees could be at work on a given day with that money, or how many kids they could feed, or some other politically hot button issue.

Will it end up in court? Probably will with Nevada. Fresno has pretty much admitted they owe the money. Anything is possible but with budget woes they way they are and both schools having to spin this to thier respective states it could become a political nightmare.
08-21-2010 08:32 AM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(08-21-2010 08:32 AM)dchi72 Wrote:  
(08-21-2010 08:11 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  The $5M is really not as big a deal as everyone thinks. At the end of the day, both Nevada and Fresno can join the MWC with issues of the $5M still looming. Then, the WAC will have to sue them both, which can and may drag out in the courts for at least 2 years. At that point, that $10M penalty will be settled for about $3-4M, plus attorney's fees and expenses. After 2 years, both schools will have raised enough money to pay that bill together...not really a big deal.

With the State of California issuing IOUs instead of paying thier bills it becomes a big deal. Especially since payment is due in 60 days.

California is forcing employees to take unpaid days off. They are cutting social programs left and right. The leftist political forces will pound this into the ground. They will not let a state institution use any state money to pay for an athletic exit fee when they can use it for political gain. If Fresno is able to pull the money together from private sources they will still use this event to make political points.

They will run commercials telling the people of California how many state employees could be at work on a given day with that money, or how many kids they could feed, or some other politically hot button issue.

Will it end up in court? Probably will with Nevada. Fresno has pretty much admitted they owe the money. Anything is possible but with budget woes they way they are and both schools having to spin this to thier respective states it could become a political nightmare.

I believe this will be settled quietly out of court and for far less than $5M. If it goes to court it will be very bad publicity for the WAC, its member schools, and BYU as they worked secretly behind the scenes to harm the MWC and its member institutions by poaching BYU for all but football.

The WAC started the fight and the MWC ended the fight. The WAC has enough problems it does not need that kind of national negative publicity.
08-21-2010 09:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.