Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NuMexAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
RE: How the Big XII came back to life
(06-16-2010 05:15 PM)MG61 Wrote:  OrangeBloods.com article
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094753

Great story. One that needs to be remembered for a long time due to the significance of what almost happened.

Great job by Chip Brown all the way through. He nailed almost every aspect. Another significant aspect of this story is how a college fan internet site reporter scooped every newspaper in the country (and I realize he is a former DMN reporter). Is this also a harbinger of things to come?
06-16-2010 11:28 PM
CrushMI Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Big X-II

This should be the new logo for the Big 12 - 2.
06-17-2010 12:04 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(06-16-2010 11:28 PM)NuMexAg Wrote:  Great story. One that needs to be remembered for a long time due to the significance of what almost happened.
Great job by Chip Brown all the way through. He nailed almost every aspect. Another significant aspect of this story is how a college fan internet site reporter scooped every newspaper in the country (and I realize he is a former DMN reporter). Is this also a harbinger of things to come?

How 'bout this my Aggie friend. This guy Chip Brown is and has been a tool of the UT Athletic Director this entire time. That the AD and orangeblood have been out there floating false rumors and manufactored dead-lines (TX to the Big 10, TX to the PAC 16 by Friday, A&M to the SEC, etc.) to try to get the best deal for themselves. If the Big XII is as great as orangeblood is now trying to spin, then why did Nebraska bolt, why did Colorado bolt, why was Mizzou so desperate to get out?

This guy is now practicing 'revisionist history' by ignoring all the false dead-lines orangeblood was hanging on everyone from Notre Dame to the PAC-10 to the SEC. At the end of the day, the Big SW is down by two of their more intriguing members and are courting anybody who will listen. Spin that!
06-17-2010 09:03 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I don't for one minute believe Texas to Pac-10 was false. It took TAMU negotiating with the SEC to derail it.
06-17-2010 09:27 AM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(06-17-2010 09:03 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  If the Big XII is as great as orangeblood is now trying to spin, then why did Nebraska bolt, why did Colorado bolt, why was Mizzou so desperate to get out?

They didn't/don't like the revenue sharing model. Even if they were making more than an even distribution they still weren't sniffing the big boys' cleats. They feel like there is a better situation for them in the Big10 and Pac10. Many of the schools being yanked around by Texas don't have enough value on their own to jump anywhere else that is better.
06-17-2010 09:33 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(06-17-2010 09:27 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I don't for one minute believe Texas to Pac-10 was false. It took TAMU negotiating with the SEC to derail it.

asf', at the end of the day it was false. So was every other rumor. These guys (the Texas AD and his henchman at ob.com) where putting pressure on every place they knew how. They forced Nebraska out by making the Big XII members vote in that ultamatum to its members, 'we want to know by Friday if your in the BXII or not'. Two days later Nebraska was gone.

Then the PAC-16 or 14 was floated, all the while the Texas to the Big 10 rumor was not allowed to die. Texas did not give a rat's butt about any of its fellow members and, your right, would have bolted to the PAC if ESPN hadn't come along and out-bid Fox (or whatever).

Point is, Texas comes out of this looking like a ham-fisted tyrant. And I can't blame any of them for trying to get out. You can almost visualize some big fat Henry the VIII type figure as Texas and five skinny servants as KU, KSU, Baylor, ISU and TT cowering beneath him. With Mizzou and TAMU on chains in the dungeon trying to escape any way they can.
06-17-2010 09:58 AM
Advertisement

RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(06-17-2010 09:58 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  You can almost visualize some big fat Henry the VIII type figure as Texas and five skinny servants as KU, KSU, Baylor, ISU and TT cowering beneath him. With Mizzou and TAMU on chains in the dungeon trying to escape any way they can.

They're welcome to leave if they can find a better situation. Don't blame Texas for doing whatever they can to better their revenue. Texas isn't dragging anyone anywhere. These schools listed are living better off Texas' scraps than if they went elsewhere.
06-17-2010 10:26 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-17-2010 09:58 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(06-17-2010 09:27 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I don't for one minute believe Texas to Pac-10 was false. It took TAMU negotiating with the SEC to derail it.

asf', at the end of the day it was false. So was every other rumor. These guys (the Texas AD and his henchman at ob.com) where putting pressure on every place they knew how. They forced Nebraska out by making the Big XII members vote in that ultamatum to its members, 'we want to know by Friday if your in the BXII or not'. Two days later Nebraska was gone.

Then the PAC-16 or 14 was floated, all the while the Texas to the Big 10 rumor was not allowed to die. Texas did not give a rat's butt about any of its fellow members and, your right, would have bolted to the PAC if ESPN hadn't come along and out-bid Fox (or whatever).

Point is, Texas comes out of this looking like a ham-fisted tyrant. And I can't blame any of them for trying to get out. You can almost visualize some big fat Henry the VIII type figure as Texas and five skinny servants as KU, KSU, Baylor, ISU and TT cowering beneath him. With Mizzou and TAMU on chains in the dungeon trying to escape any way they can.

Eh, little dramatic for my tastes. Yeah the schools have to suck up to Texas (AND Oklahoma AND Texas A&M, who mysteriously benefit as well as Texas yet escape wrath, there was a very small difference in OU's over-share and UT's the last reported year) but their alternative is a dramatic reduction in income and prestige. They've made a judgment and come to the conclusion that's a good deal.

If I'm going to sell my prized used chewing gum collection to you as soon as you get the money together and Fanof49 reports it, that is true. If Bmarkey suddenly offers 10% more and has money in hand, he gets the collection, Fanof49 wasn't wrong about the situation as it existed at the time, he was wrong in the final result because a new element entered the situation that each of us was unaware of. Doesn't make his reporting bad in any manner. Means he didn't predict a future that none of us predicted either.
06-17-2010 11:22 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
Arkstfan has been watching too much Spongebob.
06-17-2010 11:30 AM
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(06-17-2010 11:22 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  If I'm going to sell my prized used chewing gum collection to you as soon as you get the money together and Fanof49 reports it, that is true. If Bmarkey suddenly offers 10% more and has money in hand, he gets the collection, Fanof49 wasn't wrong about the situation as it existed at the time, he was wrong in the final result because a new element entered the situation that each of us was unaware of. Doesn't make his reporting bad in any manner. Means he didn't predict a future that none of us predicted either.

Wait wait...

You have a prized chewing gum collection? Why the HELL wasnt I notified of this!!! See my Signature! 01-lauramac2

04-cheers
06-17-2010 11:42 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

I Root For: FAU
(06-17-2010 11:30 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Arkstfan has been watching too much Spongebob.

should of added one of these...
:spongebob: :squidward: :patrick: :sandy: :mrkrabs: :gary:
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 11:47 AM by NCowl.)
06-17-2010 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(06-17-2010 11:30 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Arkstfan has been watching too much Spongebob.

As long as he's not eating sponge pudding........

[Image: 842589918_0c512e9cbd.jpg]
06-17-2010 12:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
Did Heinze do a MTSU label? Where'd that MTSU blue come from? Where's the pegasus...on the back?
I need to keep a copy of that.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2010 12:22 PM by Fanof49ASU.)
06-17-2010 12:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.