Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FIU softball defeats No. 4 Florida
Bookmark and Share
RomanFIU Offline
Miami Vice

I Root For: FIU
FIU softball defeats No. 4 Florida
Quote:GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The FIU softball team handed No. 4 Florida just its sixth loss of the season on Tuesday evening as the Golden Panthers defeated the Gators, 8-3, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

The victory was FIU's first over a ranked opponent this season and marks the first ever win over a top-five team in FIU softball history. The only other time FIU defeated a top-10 opponent was on March 15, 2008, when the Golden Panthers got past No. 7 USF, 2-1, and the last time the Golden Panthers defeated a top-25 opponent was on April 5, 2009, when FIU defeated No. 20 Louisiana, 3-2.

With the win, FIU improves to 30-15 on the season, while Florida moves to 34-6. The 30 wins mark the eighth 30-win season in school history for FIU softball.

Game two of Tuesday's originally scheduled double header was cancelled due to rain.

Freshman Jessy Alfonso led off with a single up the middle for FIU before freshman Beth Peller followed suit with an infield single to put runners on first and second for the Golden Panthers. Peller and Alfonso then put together a double steal as Alfonso crossed the plate to give FIU a 1-0 lead.

Florida retaliated in the bottom of the first, as back-to-back hits put runners on first and second and a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases for the Gators before an FIU outfield error on an attempted sac fly allowed Florida to take a 2-1 lead.

Senior Lauren Spiers recorded a lead-off single to left field in the top of the second and then advanced to third on a pair of outs at first. Sophomore Kelsey Grabiak would then record her first career double to drive in Spiers and knot the score at 2-2.

Sophomore Ashley McClain gave FIU a 3-2 advantage in the top of the third inning with her ninth home run of the season as she slammed the first pitch she saw over the centerfield wall.

The top of the fourth saw sophomore Jennifer Gniadek lead off with a single to left field before sophomore Jenny Welch doubled to right centerfield to put runners on second and third for the Golden Panthers. Alfonso came through with a two-out single to left centerfield, driving in Gniadek and moving Welch to third base as FIU took a 4-2 lead. A walk loaded the bases for the Golden Panthers and McClain singled up the middle to send Welch across the plate, but Alfonso was thrown out at home to end the inning with FIU holding a 5-2 advantage.

Corrie Brooks led off the bottom of the fourth for Florida with a solo home run to put the score at 5-3, but three consecutive outs, including back-to-back strikeouts by senior Kasey Barrett, ended the inning.

In the top of the sixth inning, Welch led off with a single up the left side before a pair of walks loaded the bases for FIU and a third walk sent Welch across the plate, putting the Golden Panthers on top, 6-3. Freshman Brie Rojas then came through with a two-out, two-RBI single to centerfield to increase FIU's lead to 8-3.

Florida threatened in the bottom of the seventh, putting its lead runner on base on the strength of a walk, but a strikeout and two pop-outs brought the game to a close, and the Golden Panthers came away with the 8-3 victory.

Barrett pitched her 13th complete game of the season versus the Gators, striking out four while allowing five hits and two earned runs, as she improves to 15-8 on the year.

Offensively, McClain led FIU with a 2-for-4 performance at the plate, two RBIs and one run. The Brandon, Fla., native now owns 46 RBIs on the year as she continues to inch closer to the FIU single-season record 51-RBI mark.

Welch also went 2-for-4 on the day and Alfonso notched a 2-for-3 outing, as both scored a team-high two runs. As a team, FIU out-hit Florida, 11-5, for the game.

The Golden Panthers return to action this weekend, April 24-25, when FIU travels to Mobile, Ala., to take on Sun Belt Conference foe South Alabama. Saturday's double header is slated for a 2 p.m. ET start with the final contest of the series set for 2 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Congrats to the ladies on a great job beating the No. 4 team in the country on their field. Congrats to Coach for a great homecoming :D
04-20-2010 07:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

troy4ever21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Troy & SBC
RE: FIU softball defeats No. 4 Florida
Congrats! I love seeing SBC teams destroy $EC teams! 04-rock
04-20-2010 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
SWEET!!
04-20-2010 08:01 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
Congrats to FIU!!!!
04-20-2010 08:56 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Wow, that's a pretty impressive win. That will stand out when the NCAA committee decides on at-large bids.. if FIU doesn't win the conference tourney of course..
04-20-2010 09:42 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Good win for the lady softballers. This new head coach has certainly turned things around...Congrats!
04-20-2010 09:56 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
04-bow Wow, an historic win for the Panthers. Haven't been following softball that closely. I guess I need to start checking in on that.
04-21-2010 08:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.