Bookmark and Share
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
MBB: Former Cornhusker signs with UNT
Former Cornhusker Alonzo Edwards Signs With Mean Green Basketball
Courtesy: University of North Texas
Release: 04/14/2010

DENTON, Texas (4/14/10) - North Texas head basketball coach Johnny Jones signed former Big-XII forward Alonzo Edwards to play for the Mean Green in 2010-11.

Edwards comes to North Texas via Lon Morris College, where he averaged 7.9 points and 3.2 rebounds per game last season. A shooting option from anywhere on the court, Edwards was 15-45 (33 percent) from 3-point in helping the Bearcats to a Region XIV South Division best 25-6 record.

Considered one of the nation's top players coming out of Klein Forest High School in Houston, Edwards earned First-Team All-State as well as All-America honors for the Golden Eagles. He averaged a double-double in both his junior and senior seasons, posting 15 points and 10 rebounds per game in his final year.

"I think he's going to be a great addition to our basketball team," Jones said. With his versatility and his skill set of passing, shooting, defending and rebounding, Alonzo will definitely help fill the void left by the graduation of Eric Tramiel. He's from a great program at Lon Morris, and we're extremely excited to have him apart of our Mean Green family."

Texashoops.com ranked Edwards as the No. 13 player in the state coming out of high school, and ESPN.com ranked him the No. 18 small forward in the country. Backed by those accolades, Edwards signed with Nebraska in Doc Sadler's first class and spent two years in Lincoln.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2010 02:37 PM by MeanGreen61.)
04-14-2010 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
RE: MBB: Former Cornhusker signs with UNT
Next, RJ McGhee. And then... To Be Determined.
04-14-2010 03:55 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
Nice!
04-14-2010 04:35 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(04-14-2010 04:35 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  Nice!

I checked the WKU site for a signing day announcement, didn't see one yet.

Will one of you guys post the signing haul from today once the release comes out? Very curious to see who signs today and who doesn't.
04-14-2010 04:43 PM
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
For some reason I beleive that we might get additional good news in the near future on at least one transfer from a Big 6 program.

JJ seems to have good luck with DFW area kids who sign with out of state and then decide, for whatever reason, they want to come back home. They've, for the most part, been solid contributors to the program.

Not a bad list here

Shawnson Johnson from LSU

Kendrick Davis from Arkansas

Keith Wooden from Arizona State

Collin Dennis from South Florida

George Odufuwa from Arizona State
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2010 05:15 PM by MeanGreen61.)
04-14-2010 04:53 PM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-14-2010 04:43 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  
(04-14-2010 04:35 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  Nice!

I checked the WKU site for a signing day announcement, didn't see one yet.

Will one of you guys post the signing haul from today once the release comes out? Very curious to see who signs today and who doesn't.

According to the Daily News blog we are expecting letters tomorrow.

Why, are you holding out hope for Snap?
04-14-2010 05:53 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(04-14-2010 05:53 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  According to the Daily News blog we are expecting letters tomorrow.

Why, are you holding out hope for Snap?

Peters is the one I'm curious about, but not primarily out of a desire to land him.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a heck of a talent and I'd have loved to land him right up until we got the commit from McGhee. I don't look forward to the prospects of 3 years of a Dickerson and Peters backcourt, that's for sure.

The main reason I ask is that there were rumors flying around even before the SBC tournament about Peters wavering on his WKU commit. Based on the latest commit you guys got, and the fact that you guys have 5 commits in a year with 4 graduating seniors... Something is going to have to give. Either someone is backing out, or someone on scholarship is transferring.

I'm just wanting to know for sure whether the new SG commit was a potential substitute for Peters, or whether you guys are going to lose someone else (like Magley last year) to transfer.

I'm interested to see, once their eligibility is up, who winds up as the better player between Peters and McGhee. All the recruiting analysis sites seem to have them ranked practically identically, and they play the same position in what sounds like a pretty similar style.

I'd love to have both, if for no other reason than to keep Peters out of Bowling Green... But considering our departing class next year, I wouldn't mind the final scholarship going towards a transfer player who can help ease the reloading year.
04-14-2010 06:24 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

Green is the WKU transfer I didn't know about. New commit makes more sense now.
04-14-2010 07:14 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-14-2010 07:14 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  Green is the WKU transfer I didn't know about. New commit makes more sense now.

All 5 WKU recruits have signed thier LOI's. Brandon "Snap" Peters is officially a Hilltopper.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2010 04:44 PM by Hilltopper2K.)
04-15-2010 04:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.