Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

House plans to resurrect law requiring 'gay' hires
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Roberta, here is your chance to get a real job.

Fresh off health-care victory, Dems target Christian employers

Posted: April 03, 2010 9:35 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn 2010 WorldNetDaily

[Image: frank3.jpg]
Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass.

Now that the health-care fight has proven House Democrats can muscle through legislation without a drop of bipartisan support, plans are underway to resurrect a bill that would make employers susceptible to lawsuits for refusing to hire "gay" or transsexual employees.

H.R. 3017, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2009, or ENDA, makes it unlawful for government agencies or businesses with more than 15 employees to refuse hire or promotion of anyone based on "gender-related identity, appearance or mannerisms or other gender-related characteristics of an individual, with or without regard to the individual's designated sex at birth."

The bill does make exceptions for the U.S. military, religious organizations and some businesses with non-profit 501© designations, but makes no provisions for business owners' consciences. A small construction company that wanted to maintain a Christian reputation, for example, could be sued if it refused to hire transvestites.

Openly homosexual members of the House, enthused by the health-care victory, are now looking to return from the congressional recess to begin work on ENDA.

Why do lawmakers like the idea of "rights" for sexual lifestyle choices. Get "The Marketing of Evil: How Radicals, Elitists, and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised as Freedom" to find out!

''I am now confident that we will be getting a vote on ENDA,'' bill sponsor Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., told Boston's Edge, ''The fact is, there was no chance of getting [Pelosi] to focus on this until health care was done. Health care is now done.''

He continued, "What people in our community need to do now is focus on lobbying members of the House so that we have the votes for it.''

The bill already has 198 cosponsors, not far from the number of votes needed to pass or the 219 that enabled the health-care legislation to squeak through.

Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., in fact, is confident the measure is primed to pass.

Baldwin told the Edge, ''I've heard encouragement that as soon as we return from this recess we will promptly take up ENDA. I suspect that's the result of feeling some real confidence that the votes are in.''

When asked by Keen News Service, a national news outlet featuring reporting on lesbian, "gay," bisexual and transsexual issues, if the measure has enough votes, Baldwin answered, "As someone who has actually counted the votes, I believe that there are."

Baldwin added, "That's one of the things the LGBT Equality Caucus does is to [focus] attention to making sure we can tell [House] leadership, with accuracy, what the vote would be if they bring the measures up to the floor."

As WND reported when the bill was put forward three years ago, several groups voiced opposition to ENDA, which empowers the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to enforce its provisions using some of the same powers granted by 1964's Civil Rights Act.

"This bill would unfairly extend special privileges based upon an individual's changeable sexual behaviors, rather than focusing on immutable, non-behavior characteristics such as skin color or gender," said Shari Rendall, director of legislation and public policy for Concerned Women for America. "Its passage would both overtly discriminate against and muzzle people of faith. "Former Secretary of State Collin Powell put it well when he said, 'Skin color is a benign, non-behavioral characteristic. Sexual orientation is perhaps the most profound of human behavioral characteristics. Comparison of the two is a convenient but invalid argument,'" Rendall quoted.

"Over the years, the homosexual lobby has done a masterful job of co-opting the language of the genuine civil rights movement in their push for special rights," explained former CWFA Policy Director Matt Barber, who now serves with Liberty Counsel. "This bill represents the goose that laid the golden egg for homosexual activist attorneys."

The bill does contain certain provisions and exceptions, including the following:

ENDA only affects companies with more than 15 employees

The U.S. military, as well as religious organizations and some 501© non-profit organizations are exempted

The law does not enforce preferential treatment or quotas, but specifically deals only with claims of disparate treatment

The law does not require businesses to open their women's bathrooms or locker rooms to men calling themselves women, or men's rooms to women, so long as "reasonable access to adequate facilities" is provided that is "not inconsistent with the employee's gender identity"

The law does not preclude "reasonable dress or grooming standards" at the workplace, provided the employer permits an employee undergoing a "gender transition" to adhere to the same dress as the gender to which the employee is "transitioning"

The law does not require employee benefits to be extended to unmarried partners.
As stated earlier, however, the bill holds no exemption for an employer's faith or conscience, an omission that has drawn heavy criticism:

"This bill would force Christian, Jewish or Muslim business owners to hire people who openly choose to engage in homosexual or cross-dressing behaviors," said Barber, "despite a sincerely held religious belief that those behaviors are dangerous, sinful and not in keeping with basic morality.

"ENDA would essentially force employers to check their First Amendment protected rights to freedom of religion, speech and association at the workplace door," he said.

H.R. 3017 was referred to four House committees in June of last year, but has been dormant since the House Education and Labor Committee held hearings on the bill last September.
04-04-2010 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
RE: House plans to resurrect law requiring 'gay' hires
i dont understand why we need an act for things like this. Let the market take care of it.
04-04-2010 04:43 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(04-04-2010 04:43 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i dont understand why we need an act for things like this. Let the market take care of it.

I thought the First Amendment already settled this.
04-04-2010 05:02 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
So hooters will have to hire guys??
04-04-2010 05:13 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(04-04-2010 05:13 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  So hooters will have to hire guys??

T-girls. Just look for the adam's apple.
04-04-2010 05:45 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
another useless waste of time.....plenty of gays already have jobs packing meat, pushing in stools, tapping prostates, etc
04-04-2010 06:08 PM
GilWinant Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: good games
There's all sorts of thorny issues tied up in this, but I think the first question is one of practical implementation. How does one prove whether they are gay, straight, or bi-sexual? If there were hiring preferences for GLBT, then I'm sure the number of people claiming to be GLBT would skyrocket. I'm all for non-discrimination in hiring, but it's much easier to quantify compliance based on race or gender. I'm not sure how it would be done for sexual orientation.
04-06-2010 01:39 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

Plenty of lesbians work at Hooters, for all the same reasons guys go there.
04-06-2010 01:59 PM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(04-06-2010 01:39 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  There's all sorts of thorny issues tied up in this, but I think the first question is one of practical implementation. How does one prove whether they are gay, straight, or bi-sexual?

Simple. One question per gender. For men...do you watch American Idol? For women...do you watch women's basketball?
04-06-2010 02:19 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(04-06-2010 02:19 PM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  
(04-06-2010 01:39 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  There's all sorts of thorny issues tied up in this, but I think the first question is one of practical implementation. How does one prove whether they are gay, straight, or bi-sexual?

Simple. One question per gender. For men...do you watch American Idol? For women...do you watch women's basketball?

03-lmfao

It's funny 'cause it's true!
04-06-2010 02:32 PM
Advertisement

BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(04-06-2010 01:59 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Plenty of lesbians work at Hooters, for all the same reasons guys go there.

The wings? 03-drunk
04-06-2010 04:15 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(04-04-2010 03:32 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  [Image: frank3.jpg]
Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass.

No better reason needed for not hiring gays.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2010 09:20 PM by Paul M.)
04-06-2010 09:19 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Gays are some of the most prosperous in the country. ...and when I say gays, I don't mean those fruits marching in parades in San Fran. I mean normal gays who just want to be left the f--k alone. There are two gay couples living in my hood and my facility security officer, a retired US Army CW3 who was a drill a year before I was born, is a lesbian. Also have a good friend who's a retired USAF Master Sergeant who's gay. They don't need any help. What this legislation wants is the freaks to be covered. Many view all gays as freaks. I do not. I think it's weird as **** what they do, but that's their choice. The freaks are the radical gays who want to throw it up in your face on Main Street, USA. MOST just want to live their lives.
04-06-2010 09:37 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
I tend to just see those you just described as... people. I would venture a guess that most of the gays I know, I don't even know they're gay. I suspect you are right that this is all about the freaks. And I give the freaks ****.
04-06-2010 09:48 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I wonder how many companies like Family Christian Stores or Salem Communications would convert to non-profit status to get around this legislation (for example, Lifeway is a 501©3 organization).

You also have to question the sanity-or at least the motives-of those who would apply for a job with a company that holds a worldview diametrically opposed to their worldview. They either aren't that smart, or they're more interested in collecting judgment from a lawsuit than a paycheck.
04-06-2010 10:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(04-06-2010 09:48 PM)Paul M Wrote:  I tend to just see those you just described as... people. I would venture a guess that most of the gays I know, I don't even know they're gay. I suspect you are right that this is all about the freaks. And I give the freaks ****.

Funny, the Lesbian FSO is becoming extremely fiscally conservative, the retired USAF Master Sergeant has ALWAYS been a Republican (has a picture of Bush going from airman to lieutenant in his game room), and the two gay guys around the corner cannot stand Democrats and understand "parades" do their cause more harm than good. The other gay couple close to the entrance I have no contact with. I'm in the "wrong" group according to the board and the gay guys I do know can't stand them. Kinda funny, actually. The only two gay couples in the neighborhood can't stand each other. Then again, the gay couple at the entrance had an Obama sign in their yard. Only one in this 400K-2Mil neighborhood.
04-06-2010 10:08 PM
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.