Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could Bartow be headed elsewhere
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Could Bartow be headed elsewhere
I'm hearing rumblings and rumors that he may be approached by a few schools. This rumor has surprised me a great deal.
03-08-2010 04:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Could Bartow be headed elsewhere
(03-08-2010 04:07 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  I'm hearing rumblings and rumors that he may be approached by a few schools. This rumor has surprised me a great deal.

From Grimm's Dad?
03-08-2010 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
silence dogood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: bucs
please share what schools might be interested
(03-08-2010 04:07 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  I'm hearing rumblings and rumors that he may be approached by a few schools. This rumor has surprised me a great deal.
03-08-2010 05:25 PM
youngbuc Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, USC Cocks
Penn State
03-08-2010 05:34 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
I`m not surprised AT ALL
03-08-2010 05:53 PM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

Take him away Calgon. Just make sure he leaves some decent recruits. If he's looking around...I don't want him around. A coach with a little charisma would help more than I can say. While we are getting to the tournament...I think a better measure of success is the program growing...is attendance up? How are the finances? How can we move off of page 2 of a local paper after winning the conference tournament. I know the answers to some of those questions but not all. If he does leave...I would hope that Stanton would put the breaks on and revisit everything about the athletic department...We need a reexamination and establish where we are going.

The basketball coach is a centerpiece position. I think at ETSU is a lucrative spot that would have some names very interested. How did College of Charleston get Bobby Crimmins? Perhaps because he's to old...I don't know.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 06:23 PM by Mister Jennings.)
03-08-2010 06:16 PM
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
I don't want to give details away because it could get the source in trouble, but lets just say the school isn't a BCS major, but it's a definite step up.
03-08-2010 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BucNut22 Offline
All American

(03-08-2010 06:44 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  I don't want to give details away because it could get the source in trouble, but lets just say the school isn't a BCS major, but it's a definite step up.
Can we at least get a region out of you? Deep south, mid west, northeast?
03-08-2010 07:21 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Is he interested in leaving?
03-08-2010 07:23 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
I'm not sure that he'd be interested in leaving but if someone offered to double or triple your pay, wouldn't you give it a thought. The job I am hearing is located East of the appalachians.
03-08-2010 07:34 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
East Carolina?
03-08-2010 07:52 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
I'm skeptical, just as I was skeptical when he was supposedly on his way out after his third year.

Now, if there was a school that was willing to give him a salary increase and the fact any basketball coach would have to be upset that ETSU is building facilities for every sport BUT basketball after what they've done to his arena, I could see where he'd be interested.

But I posted the topic about the NCAA appearances of ETSU against the schools that took coaches away from the Bucs. From that standpoint, I think he's got to look at what he has here.

Positives- he'll be the coach here longer than anyone has been since 1973. He's led the Bucs to more NCAA appearances than any other.

He's got the powerhouse basketball program in the A-Sun. Now, maybe that's not much, but it's something. It's enough for Rick Byrd.

Negatives- There are other things than being Rick Byrd. There's potentially more money. And while I could see Scott Wagers sticking around unless he's plucked as an assistant by a major program because of his roots in the community with his wife being a TV anchor or something, a Mike Boyd or other assistant could be plucked from him.

And, again, wouldn't you want to break free of an administration that seems to SAY basketball is their premier sport, but then gives facilities to every sport except basketball.

Still, I'm skeptical that a program would be interested in Bartow. He essentially inherited his 2004 team and you can't diminish the fact the Bucs made it to the NCAAs this year because of favorable draws in the A-Sun Tournament.

He's 48, not old, but also not of the age of an up and coming head coach.

I've always thought if a major program wanted him as an assistant, he might be interested. But as the head man? I'm not so sure.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 09:01 PM by PittsburghBucs.)
03-08-2010 08:58 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

(03-08-2010 08:58 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  I'm skeptical, just as I was skeptical when he was supposedly on his way out after his third year.

Now, if there was a school that was willing to give him a salary increase and the fact any basketball coach would have to be upset that ETSU is building facilities for every sport BUT basketball after what they've done to his arena, I could see where he'd be interested.

But I posted the topic about the NCAA appearances of ETSU against the schools that took coaches away from the Bucs. From that standpoint, I think he's got to look at what he has here.

Positives- he'll be the coach here longer than anyone has been since 1973. He's led the Bucs to more NCAA appearances than any other.

He's got the powerhouse basketball program in the A-Sun. Now, maybe that's not much, but it's something. It's enough for Rick Byrd.

Negatives- There are other things than being Rick Byrd. There's potentially more money. And while I could see Scott Wagers sticking around unless he's plucked as an assistant by a major program because of his roots in the community with his wife being a TV anchor or something, a Mike Boyd or other assistant could be plucked from him.

And, again, wouldn't you want to break free of an administration that seems to SAY basketball is their premier sport, but then gives facilities to every sport except basketball.

Still, I'm skeptical that a program would be interested in Bartow. He essentially inherited his 2004 team and you can't diminish the fact the Bucs made it to the NCAAs this year because of favorable draws in the A-Sun Tournament.

He's 48, not old, but also not of the age of an up and coming head coach.

I've always thought if a major program wanted him as an assistant, he might be interested. But as the head man? I'm not so sure.
Here's the thing, when Murry first started coaching I don't think being a HC in a 1 bid league was what he had in mind. I've never felt that ETSU was Murry's final destination. It is purely my opinion but I think that he thinks he belongs in the upper tier of the coaching ranks.

Its has always seemed to me like Bartow has been trying to get back somewhere, where I`m not sure.
03-08-2010 09:37 PM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

Murry Bartow is no Gene Bartow.
03-08-2010 11:59 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Like Bartow or not what ETSU accomplished this year, 20 wins, trip to the NCAA's, Tournament champs, etc... is remarkable. As much as we've pissed and moaned this is easily the best coaching job he's EVER done. You tell me a coach at this level who can A: have his up and coming big man make a mistake, correct it only to be tragically killed within the same few months. B: Replace your two top scorers to graduation along with a key role player and C: Lose a HUGE piece of your puzzle when your All-Conference stud/third leading scorer from last year goes down with a season ending injury. Couple that with the garbage that two overzealous dads have been pulling and he managed to put together a 20 win season with back to back NCAA appearances? I'm not always a Bartow supporter most of the time but him and his staff have done one hell of a job.
On top of all that, Murry has three NCAA Tournament appearances and an NIT. It's not suprising that another school would look at his numbers here and want to poke around and ask questions.
03-09-2010 12:08 AM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

(03-09-2010 12:08 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Like Bartow or not what ETSU accomplished this year, 20 wins, trip to the NCAA's, Tournament champs, etc... is remarkable. As much as we've pissed and moaned this is easily the best coaching job he's EVER done. You tell me a coach at this level who can A: have his up and coming big man make a mistake, correct it only to be tragically killed within the same few months. B: Replace your two top scorers to graduation along with a key role player and C: Lose a HUGE piece of your puzzle when your All-Conference stud/third leading scorer from last year goes down with a season ending injury. Couple that with the garbage that two overzealous dads have been pulling and he managed to put together a 20 win season with back to back NCAA appearances? I'm not always a Bartow supporter most of the time but him and his staff have done one hell of a job.
On top of all that, Murry has three NCAA Tournament appearances and an NIT. It's not suprising that another school would look at his numbers here and want to poke around and ask questions.

I agree with everything you say.... I give Murry this, his assistants are loyal to him. I am wondering where Mike Boyd is? I don't see him in the teams victory celebration picture. I also wonder if Wagers is still a deChellis guy?
03-09-2010 12:35 AM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Now Mister- you know very well that it's much more important for David Mullins to be in that picture than the assistant coaches!

Lover- I'm not a Bartow basher, but in the A-Sun, this isn't the accomplishment you make it out to be.

Plus, how exactly did Seth Coy "correct his mistake?"
03-09-2010 06:29 AM
silence dogood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: bucs
its always good to have a coach that other programs want. never blame a coach who takes a look - especially if it is an improvement financially. hey - this is what happens when you win championships
03-09-2010 06:43 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

It's incredible, but it seems more people believe in one post that Bartow will be going somewhere, despite his age and up and down career at ETSU, from a second hand source than they do David Mullins, who has never missed an opportunity to be patronizing, shallow, unethical and misguided, would be checking out the sex toys with a minor from a poster who isn't quoting someone else.
03-09-2010 07:05 AM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(03-09-2010 07:05 AM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  It's incredible, but it seems more people believe in one post that Bartow will be going somewhere, despite his age and up and down career at ETSU, from a second hand source than they do David Mullins, who has never missed an opportunity to be patronizing, shallow, unethical and misguided, would be checking out the sex toys with a minor from a poster who isn't quoting someone else.

Four 20 win seasons and four post-season appearances in 7 seasons is going to get a few phone calls Bartow's way, whether it materializes into an offer or not. That's pretty realistic.

Whether or not Dave Mullins was at Spencer's is something I would hope most of this board could care less about.
03-09-2010 08:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.