Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rocket Basketball
falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Rocket Basketball
I'm back after a long absence since enrolling in the marriage dissolution relocation program. I did go to the Alabama game on Monday and had a couple of thoughts. First this may sound crazy, but I thought Toledo played good defense all things considered. I thought Dressler and Lo (even though he couldn't hit free throws) did well on the inside, especially since there were obvious size mismatches. To out rebound a team that big was excellent. Even though Bastfield may not become a scorer, he looks to have the makings of a good field general, made good decisions, and shows the attitude to become a leader. Barnett seems to be developing well. I think Griffin is a project and very raw. I know he just came off of a broken hand and maybe it was just me, but I'm not crazy about his ball handling right now. It looks like they still need a few pieces and it will be interesting to see what this team becomes over the next couple of years. I know their record stinks right now, but they only have two upper classmen, Cross basically had to start from scratch when he arrived, and the team is still upbeat. I think if it would have been a Joplin team, they would have been down 40 at the half trying to run up and down the court with a team that had the size and athletisim of Bama.
01-08-2010 11:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

utbasketballfans Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Rocket Basketball
Yeah down 40 at half, and At home. With-out looking this up I think Stan lost less Non-Conference home games then Cross had in 2 years. Its gotta be close. Lets just be honest though Joplin was just a terrible coach and didnt achieve anything because he didnt make the Tourney in 12 years (thats what ANTI-JOPLIN people say). I hope he goes to EMU builds a program and wins the MAC. In the process getting a win at Savage Arena give a ole shout out to his budy Mike O'(Holy & Great) Brien.
01-09-2010 01:38 AM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
Wow. Got issues?
01-09-2010 02:41 AM
rockytop Offline
1st String

(01-09-2010 01:38 AM)utbasketballfans Wrote:  Yeah down 40 at half, and At home. With-out looking this up I think Stan lost less Non-Conference home games then Cross had in 2 years. Its gotta be close. Lets just be honest though Joplin was just a terrible coach and didnt achieve anything because he didnt make the Tourney in 12 years (thats what ANTI-JOPLIN people say). I hope he goes to EMU builds a program and wins the MAC. In the process getting a win at Savage Arena give a ole shout out to his budy Mike O'(Holy & Great) Brien.

I am almost with you. I would rather UT win the MAC, even if I wish Stan was still the coach. I will always wonder how much better Joplin would have done recruiting with all the new facilities we have today.
01-09-2010 07:43 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-09-2010 07:43 AM)rockytop Wrote:  
(01-09-2010 01:38 AM)utbasketballfans Wrote:  Yeah down 40 at half, and At home. With-out looking this up I think Stan lost less Non-Conference home games then Cross had in 2 years. Its gotta be close. Lets just be honest though Joplin was just a terrible coach and didnt achieve anything because he didnt make the Tourney in 12 years (thats what ANTI-JOPLIN people say). I hope he goes to EMU builds a program and wins the MAC. In the process getting a win at Savage Arena give a ole shout out to his budy Mike O'(Holy & Great) Brien.

I am almost with you. I would rather UT win the MAC, even if I wish Stan was still the coach. I will always wonder how much better Joplin would have done recruiting with all the new facilities we have today.

Joplin was a decent floor coach, but he couldn't recruit or close the deal. Izzo almost let him go because he couldn't bring kids in. The best player Stan ever had (Stempin) was recruited by Brian Gregory the one year he was at Toledo. The only way Stan got Justin Ingram was because he knew his dad.

Bob Simon (now at 11-4 Fairfield) recruited Pinson and all of the Chicago kids (Valencia,Kent,Young). When he left recruiting dried up.

Tony Jones also brought in some good players, but they were almost all troublemakers (see Tennessee now).
01-09-2010 08:53 AM
utbasketballfans Offline
Water Engineer

I think if we have Kasief Payne in Joplins last year we go from a 11-19 team to easily 19-11 team. I dont care what you say Joplin had a good system. He played aggressive defense with big guards that created turnovers. Our MAC-Championship year I dont think any team in the league had as good of back-court as we did. Unfortionatly Tim Pollitz(I mean Miami) had a heck of a game and knocked us off in the Semi-Final. Stan was named Coach of the Year, has ONE ONE bad year after winning the regualr season MAC Championship(Which is much tougher than winning a little 3 games in a row) and we give him the axe. Atleast 11-19 was by far his worst year, we may only see another 8 win season(reality).

Cross is going to find out he isnt fit up to be a coach, we would have atleast seen allitle bit of signs. "O well Cross cant take any risk on recruits because the NCAA is watching him" That is also what I hear from the mainly ANTI-JOPLIN people, because Joplin made the mess its all Joplins fault when in reality, the Individual basketball players (ADULTS) made some very poor decisions to make a little money on the side. Its a very sad situation for me atleast, but I can only look forward. So ill now look forward to a great showing by the rockets today at Savage Arena(I laughed after I wrote that)
01-09-2010 09:01 AM
Advertisement

utbasketballfans Offline
Water Engineer

"The only way Stan got Justin Ingram was because he knew his dad."

O wow thats a terrible way to get a recruit, is by having a good relationship with the players dad. So in essance he didnt really get his commitment he just got his dads (makes sense).

I think recruiting would have been maybe a pinch better but, I think Stan would probably be the only person that could answer that because, I dont know how often the Athletic Facility pitch was given or how well(or lack) it worked
01-09-2010 09:06 AM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
There may be a couple of folks on here that actually ARE anti-Joplin, but I'm certain they're in the minority. Doesn't matter. He's gone and he's not coming back. If anyone here is anti-ANYBODY, I'd say your hatred of Cross would put you in the lead.

I liked Stan as a player and as a coach. He seemed open enough. I'm not blaming Stan for everything that was wrong, but the fact is, he's in a business where the head man is responsible for everything, whether or not it's his fault. That includes shady players who screw the university and their coach.
01-09-2010 10:58 AM
utbasketballfans Offline
Water Engineer

Yeah so if I am ANTI-Cross(which I am at the moment cause he has no idea how to run a program from what ive seen) It’s because of statistics he has NONE he is a losing coach. A LOSER, these last two games really have shown me what this team is made of(and its not a whole lot). I’ve already displayed Joplins record to Cross, when I am against(or don’t like the way things are going) something I am not going to run in a corner and say "well ill pay for another 2-seats of season tickets next year because I know we’re going to be so much better next year". You guys, don’t drink the cool-Aid he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I’m not saying don’t support the program but just realize that we don’t have a good coach. Most UT fans on here seem more knowledgeable to make that assement.

Karl forgive for not liking a coach and being a little bit more impatient then everyone else. If he doesn’t go .500 in year three he has to be gone. Seriously no exceptions.
01-09-2010 05:39 PM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
Not asking you to like him or anybody else. I'm just surprised with the level of hostility (as I read it anyway).
01-09-2010 06:47 PM
utbasketballfans Offline
Water Engineer

Well Karl I just am sick of losing were going to have probably close to 50 loses in 2-years under the Cross Administration, thats a TON of losing. I think I am harsh at times because I have seen and expect so much more. This team is so poorly coached its unbelivable but thats my 2 cent opinion.
01-09-2010 08:23 PM
Advertisement

trockets1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UT ROCKETS
(01-09-2010 08:23 PM)utbasketballfans Wrote:  Well Karl I just am sick of losing were going to have probably close to 50 loses in 2-years under the Cross Administration, thats a TON of losing. I think I am harsh at times because I have seen and expect so much more. This team is so poorly coached its unbelivable but thats my 2 cent opinion.

Well a bunch of players that never went to class and got charged with gambling charges is better.......................03-puke03-puke03-banghead
please find some where else to post
Not that I am happy with the program but come on
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2010 01:23 AM by trockets1.)
01-09-2010 10:22 PM
utbasketballfans Offline
Water Engineer

O im sorry did I offend you please do forgive me I feel so terrible.

Joplin did much more good to the school then bad ill tell you that much and 8-25, and 3-13 to me a fan that cares about W's thats not very good lol. Its alright though the programs literally going down the dumps not a whole lot we season ticket holders can do besides give Him(the Dictator) our money. Im so happy I WONT feel commited to goto those games even though I probably still will cause my kids love them. But we wont sit were we are sitting now.
01-10-2010 12:39 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2010 10:22 PM)trockets1 Wrote:  
(01-09-2010 08:23 PM)utbasketballfans Wrote:  Well Karl I just am sick of losing were going to have probably close to 50 loses in 2-years under the Cross Administration, thats a TON of losing. I think I am harsh at times because I have seen and expect so much more. This team is so poorly coached its unbelivable but thats my 2 cent opinion.

Well a bunch of players that never went to class and got charged with glambling charges is better.......................03-puke03-puke03-banghead

Don't forget, one of his "graduates" is or was a garbage man for the city.
01-10-2010 01:18 AM
trockets1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UT ROCKETS
Okay then dont go. That is simple, but dont act like everything was great under Joplin- As I said before I am not happy with the programs results.
Any way are you a grad of UT??? And if you are all negitive I would not like to hear from you again. And just so you know I was in classes with some of Joplins players and there is no way they passed....................
01-10-2010 01:21 AM
Shrakk Offline
I bleed midnight blue

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
(01-10-2010 01:18 AM)utpotts Wrote:  

Well a bunch of players that never went to class and got charged with glambling charges is better.......................03-puke03-puke03-banghead

and probably makes more and has better benefits than other graduates that use their degrees. so what?
01-10-2010 07:14 AM
Advertisement

adunifon Offline
Heisman

(01-10-2010 01:18 AM)utpotts Wrote:  

idiotic comment
01-10-2010 08:00 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(01-10-2010 01:18 AM)utpotts Wrote:  Don't forget, one of his "graduates" is or was a garbage man for the city.

And that same player won several academic awards including MAC Academic Honor ROll and two Hummel Scholarships for highest point average on the team. Worked briefly as a garbage collector while awaiting the start of his professional basketball season.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2010 08:15 AM by H2Oville Rocket.)
01-10-2010 08:14 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-10-2010 08:14 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(01-10-2010 01:18 AM)utpotts Wrote:  Don't forget, one of his "graduates" is or was a garbage man for the city.

And that same player won several academic awards including MAC Academic Honor ROll and two Hummel Scholarships for highest point average on the team. Worked briefly as a garbage collector while awaiting the start of his professional basketball season.

Let's not disparage garbage collectors. I have a lot more respect for garbage collectors than I have for--say, investment bankers. Garbage collectors perform an important and necessary service.
01-10-2010 09:44 AM
rockytop Offline
1st String

As one who is old enough to remember the glory years of Rocket basketball, I was sickened at yesterday's performance bt the UT men. If you prefer that to the Joplin era, or any era in UT basketball, you have my condolences. Good coaches make an immediate impact on a program. They may not win big at first, but the product they put on the floor shows signs of life. We are in big trouble.
01-10-2010 10:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.