Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

From Cajun board-- Independence Bowl Audit
Bookmark and Share
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
From Cajun board-- Independence Bowl Audit
Audit for the year ended 2/29/09 is up on the Louisiana Legislative Auditor's website PDF link

Auditor's opinion states there is still a concern about the I-Bowl Foundation's ability to continue operations. Does it mean an end to the I-Bowl? No. It means trouble for the Foundation running the bowl game.

On to the numbers....

1. Ticket revenue DECREASED approximately $150k from the prior year. Seriously, it went DOWN from the prior year ticket revenue.

2. The Foundation lost approximately $85,000 for the year ended 2/29/09, which is better than the $450,000 lost the prior year. Still not good when you had a "home" team playing in the game. However, part of that decrease in the loss from the prior year can be attributed to #4 below.

3. The Foundation has a note payable with Capital One for the new scoreboad at their stadium. Payments are due each year in the amount of $150k. For the year ended 2/29/09, the Foundation DID NOT pay their $150k!! They were able to extend the length of the note since they were not able to pay it this fiscal year.

4. The Foundation is trying to cut costs in order to become more profitable. While total expenses did decrease approximately $600k for the year, $550k of that decrease was due to LTU and NIU being the schools in the game, therefore the Foundation did not have to pay as much to those schools if say the SEC and Big 12 were able to fill their spots. So basically, they have not reduced any of their expenses. Had the Big 12 or SEC conferences, or both, had enough teams, you could have been looking at approximately $700k in losses for the Foundation this year.

The Foundation has now filed suit against former title sponsor PetroSun for non-payment of their sponsorship fees. No idea how that will turn out in court.

Doesn't look good for the I-Bowl Foundation. Once you start not being able to make your payments on your loans, you're screwed.
09-30-2009 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
RE: From Cajun board-- Independence Bowl Audit
perhaps they should bring in teams from close by, ya know, with fans who will ACTUALLY COME TO THE GAME (i.e. Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns rather than Northern Illinois)
09-30-2009 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
This would be a bigger story is the I-Bowl had not found a new title sponsor. With a new title sponsor they are definitely back on the scene.
09-30-2009 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
It does kind of suck that the Bowls can just arbitrarily pay out less to a Sun Belt or non Rich Six team. I assume that's written in the contract ?

Hell....... they'll be making us pay them before too long.
09-30-2009 12:21 PM
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(09-30-2009 12:21 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  It does kind of suck that the Bowls can just arbitrarily pay out less to a Sun Belt or non Rich Six team. I assume that's written in the contract ?

Hell....... they'll be making us pay them before too long

Hell, dont they already?

The schools have to buy thier share of tickets and if they dont sell them they eat the cost.
09-30-2009 12:33 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

Oh well. Independence Bowl wouldn't have had that problem if they would've been smart and taken Louisiana over NIU. Dumbest bowl decision I've ever seen.
09-30-2009 03:30 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

(09-30-2009 03:30 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Oh well. Independence Bowl wouldn't have had that problem if they would've been smart and taken Louisiana over NIU. Dumbest bowl decision I've ever seen.

that's what i'm saying.
09-30-2009 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.