Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Bowl line-ups -- Anybody keeping track?
Bookmark and Share
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Bowl line-ups -- Anybody keeping track?
The Emerald Bowl? The Poinsettia? ...etc?
08-28-2009 12:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: New Bowl line-ups -- Anybody keeping track?
Nutin hunny
09-04-2009 07:32 AM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
What conference are they from? Sunbelt?
09-05-2009 10:36 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
The Big East should be making every possible effort to get the Big 12 into St. Petersburg, since they need to replace the Sun/Gator, as well as taking the ACC spot in the Music City as payback for grabbing the Sun.

Big East ... out of the Gator/Sun ... into the Champs.

Big Ten ... out of the Champs ... into the Gator ... out of the Alamo ... into the Texas.

Big 12 ... out of the Sun/Gator ... into the ??????????

ACC ... out of the Humanitarian ... into the GMAC ... out of the ?????????? ... into the Sun.

Pac-10 ... out of the Poinsettia ... into the Alamo.

CUSA ... out of the GMAC ... into the Hawaii ... out of the Texas ... into the ??????????

The Emerald needs to decide if it wants to keep the ACC or go with the WAC or some type of hybrid deal with the Poinsettia rotating the WAC, Navy, and Army. CUSA also has to finagle a replacement for the Texas.
09-08-2009 06:15 PM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Thanks Krocker.

Appreciate you keeping us posted.

The more I think about your idea of the hybrid, it just makes sense to do it that way.
09-10-2009 05:26 AM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
09-10-2009 03:21 PM
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

Thanks for the heads up, Jedi, as I had been too busy to catch anything about the announcement today. I expect the Poinsettia to roll out a similar agreement matching up the MWC vs. Army once, Navy once, and the WAC twice either tomorrow or later this week. Doing that is the only thing that makes sense, especially with this new Emerald deal in place, just as I had written a few other times.

This means that the ACC is out of San Francisco, of course, so you can just substitute the word Emerald in place of the ?????????? that I previously listed above. My next hope is that the Music City will dump the ACC in favor of Big East #3 plus one option for Notre Dame. Beyond that, I hope St. Petersburg invites Big 12 #7 or #8 to be the new Big East opponent, replacing CUSA in that contest.
09-10-2009 05:35 PM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-10-2009 05:35 PM)Krocker Krapp Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up, Jedi, as I had been too busy to catch anything about the announcement today. I expect the Poinsettia to roll out a similar agreement matching up the MWC vs. Army once, Navy once, and the WAC twice either tomorrow or later this week. Doing that is the only thing that makes sense, especially with this new Emerald deal in place, just as I had written a few other times.

This means that the ACC is out of San Francisco, of course, so you can just substitute the word Emerald in place of the ?????????? that I previously listed above. My next hope is that the Music City will dump the ACC in favor of Big East #3 plus one option for Notre Dame. Beyond that, I hope St. Petersburg invites Big 12 #7 or #8 to be the new Big East opponent, replacing CUSA in that contest.

Is the St. Petersburg Bowl talking with the Big 12?

With the Poinsettia, ...I'm hoping your right. Any word yet?
09-13-2009 03:22 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Acc and Music still together. BE bowls biggest change may be a new NY bowl game with big 12#8 vs BE. If that game comes together big 12 in St Pete will be out.
09-17-2009 07:19 AM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
A NY Bowl?

If Myles Brand was still around, he'd probably say that Cartel schools can now play 2 D1-aa schools a year to ensure they have enough Bowl eligible schools.
09-17-2009 10:06 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

The Yankee Bowl is going to be Big East #4, possibly with a 1-in-4 Notre Dame option, against Big 12 #7. Also still in play is the fact that the Papa John's Bowl has made a proposal to upgrade from SEC #9 to SEC #8. This has implications for the Big 12 as they will want a better game for their #8, meaning they could send their #8 to St. Pete, leaving the Independence Bowl stuck signing SEC #9 against Big 12 #9. Now, realistically, those teams will not qualify every year so the game will actually end us as CUSA against MAC most of the time.

There is still no word from the Poinsettia so I can only guess that they are holding out for two years of Big 12 #8, as opposed to settling for two years of the WAC, but the problem is what the Big 12 would do in the other two years. You can bet just about anything that MWC fingerprints are all over this bit of foot dragging. No other bowl is believably available for a B12/WAC hybrid agreement. I also assume the Big 12 wants a solid destination rather than a shaky situation. We may be weeks from knowing if every bowl deal has been finalized.
09-18-2009 09:35 PM
Advertisement

jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-18-2009 09:35 PM)Krocker Krapp Wrote:  The Yankee Bowl is going to be Big East #4, possibly with a 1-in-4 Notre Dame option, against Big 12 #7. Also still in play is the fact that the Papa John's Bowl has made a proposal to upgrade from SEC #9 to SEC #8. This has implications for the Big 12 as they will want a better game for their #8, meaning they could send their #8 to St. Pete, leaving the Independence Bowl stuck signing SEC #9 against Big 12 #9. Now, realistically, those teams will not qualify every year so the game will actually end us as CUSA against MAC most of the time.

There is still no word from the Poinsettia so I can only guess that they are holding out for two years of Big 12 #8, as opposed to settling for two years of the WAC, but the problem is what the Big 12 would do in the other two years. You can bet just about anything that MWC fingerprints are all over this bit of foot dragging. No other bowl is believably available for a B12/WAC hybrid agreement. I also assume the Big 12 wants a solid destination rather than a shaky situation. We may be weeks from knowing if every bowl deal has been finalized.

Krocker - Any news from the Poinsettia?
09-29-2009 04:05 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl Announces Agreement With Army
Courtesy: Army Athletic Communications
Release: 09/28/2009

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl has reached an agreement with Army that guarantees the Black Knights a berth in the postseason bowl game if Army is bowl eligible in 2013 bowl officials announced on Monday. Army will oppose the second pick from the Mountain West Conference in the contest.

“We are thrilled to announce this partnership with the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl,” said Army Director of Athletics Kevin Anderson. “Bruce Binkowski and his staff have done a tremendous job with this bowl game and we are excited to have the opportunity to showcase our program on the West Coast. I feel our players and fans will relish the opportunity to visit San Diego around the holidays.

“As a national program, we have proven an ability to attract large crowds to bowl games. I anticipate stellar support for the Army team on the West Coast.”

Since their inaugural contest in 1890, the Black Knights have never played a game in the city of San Diego, nor have they participated in a bowl game in the state of California. In all, Army has appeared in the Golden State on 10 occasions with their most recent California showing dating back to 1983 when the city of Pasadena hosted the Army-Navy Classic.

Army, which stands 2-2 on the young season, sports one of the most storied histories in all of college football. The Black Knights captured three consecutive national championships from 1944 through 1946, boast three Heisman Trophy winners and have sent 26 individuals to the National Football Foundation College Football Hall of Fame.

Should the Black Knights register six victories this season, they would earn a berth in the Eagle Bank Bowl against the eighth selection from the Atlantic Coast Conference. The game, which debuted last season, is scheduled to be played on Dec. 29 in Washington, D.C. Army owns direct tie-ins with the Emerald Bowl in 2011, and the Eagle Bank Bowl in 2012 as well.

This article appeared on the United States Military Academy website on Monday, September 28, 2009.
09-29-2009 11:00 PM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Man krocker. Its kinda spooky that what you've been saying should happen -- happened. :)

This is definitely good news.

Thanks for keeping us posted.
09-30-2009 02:46 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

(09-30-2009 02:46 AM)jediwarrior Wrote:  Man krocker. Its kinda spooky that what you've been saying should happen -- happened. :)

I do not think it is so much spooky, Jedi, as simply being a matter of following the trends and knowing a few people in the bowl world. The only piece of the puzzle left to be filled in, as far as the service academies are concerned, is Army to the Armed Forces Bowl, if eligible, in 2010. I think the people in Fort Worth are worried that it is too soon to count on Army making it but they have backed themselves into a corner by signing Navy for 2013. The hybrid with DC and CUSA is the only thing that makes sense for them now. It looks like I need to update my chart from above.

Big East ... out of the Gator/Sun ... into the Champs ... out of either the Papa John's or Toronto ... into the Yankee.

Big Ten ... out of the Champs ... into the Gator ... out of the Alamo ... into the Texas.

Big 12 ... out of the Sun/Gator ... into the Yankee ... out of the Independence ... into the ??????????

ACC ... out of the Humanitarian ... into the GMAC ... out of the Emerald ... into the Sun ... out of the Gator ... into the Independence.

Pac-10 ... out of the Poinsettia ... into the Alamo ... out of the Hawaii ... into no replacement.

SEC ... out of the Independence ... into the Gator.

CUSA ... out of the GMAC ... into the Hawaii ... out of the Texas ... into the ??????????

MWC ... into the Humanitarian ... into the Independence.

WAC ... into the Emerald/Poinsettia.

The MAC and Sun Belt are status quo for now but both have room for more bowls. The question is can the MWC sustain six bowls and why did the Independence choose them over CUSA? You can also ask why the GMAC wants ACC #9 when they could sign Sun Belt #2 with a future member in their city? I also think Big 12 #8 needs to go to St. Petersburg against the Big East. CUSA can move to the Papa John's while the Big East retains Toronto because SEC #9 will rarely be available. The proposed Dallas Bowl pitting Big 12 #8 against Big Ten #8 would be a risky proposition.
10-10-2009 12:05 AM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Excellent work krocker.

Army? I predict no more than 5 wins this season.

I'm with you on the Independence Bowl. C-USA seems the more logical choice, but...maybe TCU appeals to them along with BYU whom has fans everywhere.

Shocked that the Pac-10 dropped the Hawaii Bowl with no replacement in-hand. So the Pac is down to 6 Bowls?
10-10-2009 06:21 AM
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

(10-10-2009 06:21 AM)jediwarrior Wrote:  Shocked that the Pac-10 dropped the Hawaii Bowl with no replacement in-hand. So the Pac is down to 6 Bowls?

Yes ... and I heartily applaud them for not being greedy jerks like the SEC and ACC ... the Pac-10 has never qualified seven teams for bowls so it made absolutely no sense to have seven affiliations in the first place.
10-18-2009 11:10 PM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-18-2009 11:10 PM)Krocker Krapp Wrote:  
(10-10-2009 06:21 AM)jediwarrior Wrote:  Shocked that the Pac-10 dropped the Hawaii Bowl with no replacement in-hand. So the Pac is down to 6 Bowls?

Yes ... and I heartily applaud them for not being greedy jerks like the SEC and ACC ... the Pac-10 has never qualified seven teams for bowls so it made absolutely no sense to have seven affiliations in the first place.

Was the Pac-10 looking for a 7th Bowl or did they decide 6 was their limit?
10-20-2009 12:59 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

(10-20-2009 12:59 AM)jediwarrior Wrote:  Was the Pac-10 looking for a 7th Bowl or did they decide 6 was their limit?

The Pac-10 made the wise decision that six bowl deals is their limit because they have never qualified seven teams for the postseason. It makes no sense to sign a contract that they would not be able to fulfill. This is one league that should be applauded for taking a sensible stance on the issue.
11-04-2009 06:30 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-10-2009 12:05 AM)Krocker Krapp Wrote:  
(09-30-2009 02:46 AM)jediwarrior Wrote:  Man krocker. Its kinda spooky that what you've been saying should happen -- happened. :)

I do not think it is so much spooky, Jedi, as simply being a matter of following the trends and knowing a few people in the bowl world. The only piece of the puzzle left to be filled in, as far as the service academies are concerned, is Army to the Armed Forces Bowl, if eligible, in 2010. I think the people in Fort Worth are worried that it is too soon to count on Army making it but they have backed themselves into a corner by signing Navy for 2013. The hybrid with DC and CUSA is the only thing that makes sense for them now. It looks like I need to update my chart from above.

Big East ... out of the Gator/Sun ... into the Champs ... out of either the Papa John's or Toronto ... into the Yankee.

Big 12 ... out of the Sun/Gator ... into the Yankee ... out of the Independence ... into the ??????????

ACC ... out of the Humanitarian ... into the GMAC ... out of the Emerald ... into the Sun ... out of the Gator ... into the Independence.

Pac-10 ... out of the Poinsettia ... into the Alamo ... out of the Hawaii ... into no replacement.

SEC ... out of the Independence ... into the Gator.

MWC ... into the Humanitarian ... into the Independence.

WAC ... into the Emerald/Poinsettia.

The MAC and Sun Belt are status quo for now but both have room for more bowls. The question is can the MWC sustain six bowls and why did the Independence choose them over CUSA? You can also ask why the GMAC wants ACC #9 when they could sign Sun Belt #2 with a future member in their city? I also think Big 12 #8 needs to go to St. Petersburg against the Big East. CUSA can move to the Papa John's while the Big East retains Toronto because SEC #9 will rarely be available. The proposed Dallas Bowl pitting Big 12 #8 against Big Ten #8 would be a risky proposition.

Early reports coming out of Dallas had indicated the possibility of CUSA being part of that bowl. That, of course, happened with CUSA vs Big Ten matchup...with what appears as the Big 12 as a backup. In reality, most years the Dallas Classic Bowl will be CUSA vs Big 12 #8...that is, the matchup in the Texas Bowl is now moved to Dallas...but played on Jan 1 along with the New Year Big Ten Bowls of Outback, CapitalOne, and Rose.

With SEC/Big Ten matchup in Gator, the Liberty Bowl matchup will drop down to SEC #7/#8 but no announcement has been made.

CUSA will also play in the EagleBank Bowl against ACC #8 in two out of four years as Navy and Army rotate in other bowls. There is some confusion but I think CUSA would also play if ACC didn't have a bowl elgible team. Nice bowl for CUSA, especially Marshall and ECU.

The fourth CUSA bowl against a BCS opponent is the St. Pete Bowl vs BE #6 or USF.

New Orleans Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, and Hawaii Bowl round out CUSA's 7 bowl agreements.

Those 7 CUSA bowls include:
(1) One New Year's Bowl.
(2) Five BCS opponents (SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, and BE)
(3) Four PostXmas Bowls (Liberty, Dallas, EagleBank, Armed Forces)
(4) One Xmas Eve Bowl, the only bowl that day (Hawaii)
(5) And 5 bowls played on off campus sites.

Previously, CUSA before it expanded to 12 teams had only four bowls, Liberty vs MWC, New Orleans, H-Bowl, and I forget the 4th. It might have been the then called GalleryFurniture Bowl. No sure. None were against a BCS opponent; none on New Years day.
11-14-2009 12:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.