Big East commish: other people interested in "16 team league model"
Bookmark and Share
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Big East commish: other people interested in "16 team league model"
now which conferences could that be?

excerpt from SI.com article:

Quote:...SI.com: When I asked fans over Twitter whether there were any specific subjects they wanted me to address with you, the No. 1 response by far was potential expansion plans. Is it on the horizon?

Marinatto: It's not in the immediate future. I don't think our membership has an appetite for it at this point, unless [going to 17 teams] happens to be something that brings value to football. If Penn State was interested in moving back to the East, we'd be interested in that because they bring value. We are only eight [in football], but I think it's an attractive situation because when our coaches are out there recruiting, they can sell players that their chance of earning a berth in a major bowl is more favorable. If you look over the last five years, almost every school has been in position to win our conference at some point.

What I'm hearing from people, interestingly, is they're looking at the [16-team league] model we created [in 2004], which we heard at the time was too big, and they're saying that the size has become a positive. People are talking about expanding to our size. It would be interesting if something we did out of necessity does become a model.......
07-11-2009 03:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
RE: Big East commish: other people interested in "16 team league model"
None of the big power conferences are looking at expanding to 16 teams. My belief is that John Marinatto was referring to the Terry Holland idea for CUSA from a while back. Otherwise maybe the Atlantic 10 is looking at adding two more schools to alleviate travel costs.

He is just throwing out the idea that unnamed other leagues are looking at 16 to make it seem like the current Big East has some kind of perfect composition in my opinion. Nothing to see. One job of a conference commissioner is to put forth the best face for the media.
07-11-2009 04:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
RE: Big East commish: other people interested in "16 team league model"
We know it's not the WAC. :)
07-11-2009 05:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.