Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who woulda thunk it - 2009 Chicago White Sox
Bookmark and Share
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Who woulda thunk it - 2009 Chicago White Sox
Is there a team that more often sticks it to critics and naysayers as much as the white sox this past decade. Every year they are left for dead (including by me this year) and they are right in the thick of things. Going for 7 wins in a row right now and lead Grienke and the Royals 4-0. They are the hottest team in baseball right now. Not sure where all the credit should go, but with each passing year the more I realize Ozzie really is one of the best managers in baseball.
07-03-2009 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: Who woulda thunk it - 2009 Chicago White Sox
He won a world series, and always out does the pythagorean theorem expected win totals. Just because he says obnoxious things, doesn't mean he's been a bad manager. It should be pretty obvious he's good at his job and has been for a long time. A 7 game win streak shouldn't tell you that, even teams like the Pirates get on hot stretches as the Sox are now.
07-03-2009 09:32 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(07-03-2009 09:32 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  He won a world series, and always out does the pythagorean theorem expected win totals. Just because he says obnoxious things, doesn't mean he's been a bad manager. It should be pretty obvious he's good at his job and has been for a long time. A 7 game win streak shouldn't tell you that, even teams like the Pirates get on hot stretches as the Sox are now.

It is not the 7 game win streak that is telling me that, it is the fact he has his team right in the middle of things year in and year out despite very low expectations.
07-03-2009 09:43 PM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
10 of their last 12 and most of those on the road. Sox are in solid shape to challenge Detroit for the Central Title. Floyd and Danks have been almost flawless their last 6 starts.
07-04-2009 10:47 AM
Advertisement

NIUGAHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(07-03-2009 09:04 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Is there a team that more often sticks it to critics and naysayers as much as the white sox this past decade. Every year they are left for dead (including by me this year) and they are right in the thick of things. Going for 7 wins in a row right now and lead Grienke and the Royals 4-0. They are the hottest team in baseball right now. Not sure where all the credit should go, but with each passing year the more I realize Ozzie really is one of the best managers in baseball.

I heard on the radio that in a survey among MLB players on which managers they would most and least like to play for. I don't remember who they said the favorite among the players was, but the least favorite was Lou Pinella of the Cubs. The second least favorite by a very small margin was Ozzie from the Sox. So I guess there aren't too many players who really want to play in Chicago.
07-04-2009 12:23 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
(07-04-2009 12:23 PM)NIUGAHuskie Wrote:  
(07-03-2009 09:04 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Is there a team that more often sticks it to critics and naysayers as much as the white sox this past decade. Every year they are left for dead (including by me this year) and they are right in the thick of things. Going for 7 wins in a row right now and lead Grienke and the Royals 4-0. They are the hottest team in baseball right now. Not sure where all the credit should go, but with each passing year the more I realize Ozzie really is one of the best managers in baseball.

I heard on the radio that in a survey among MLB players on which managers they would most and least like to play for. I don't remember who they said the favorite among the players was, but the least favorite was Lou Pinella of the Cubs. The second least favorite by a very small margin was Ozzie from the Sox. So I guess there aren't too many players who really want to play in Chicago.

I was quite surprised that Piniella was top of that list. But he does have some bad track records with players over his managerial career. LaRussa was 3rd on that last.
I think Torre was the favorite.

Kinda find it funny that all those managers are considered some of the top in the game today and all have won Managers of the Year during their career
07-04-2009 12:43 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
They are all the most famous and well known. These guys are taking long surveys where they were asked a ton of questions. I really doubt they put much thought into it, the top 4 managers happened to be 4 of the most well known and outspoken managers in baseball. Not a coincidence. Plenty of big name guys have taken lesser deals (Dye, Konerko, Buehrle) to stay with the Sox, so clearly Ozzie isn't that bad to play for.

All of those managers LaRussa, Piniella, Joe Torre (who was 4th), and Ozzie have been very successful in this league. I wouldn't be too worried about what the poll says.
07-06-2009 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.