Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference re-alignment
Bookmark and Share
trojanblood Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Conference re-alignment
I have been hearing the rumor about UT and aTm leaving the BIG XII. The reason why iI ask this question is for the simple fact that there was a rumor that was spreading across the stadium club seating at the 2007 FAU/TROY game that BIG EAST and CUSA representatives were at the game checking out both schools for possible membership into one of those two conferences. SO I pose this thought. What would it take for TROY, FAU or any school in the Sunbelt to move conferences? I am not trying to start an argument like the last thread I started got some people very heated up you might say. Just want feed back.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2009 07:09 PM by trojanblood.)
05-16-2009 07:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
RE: Conference re-alignment
Texas and Texas AM are not leaving the Big 12. The only conference they would even consider is the SEC. Since the SEC isn't looking for new members that means no one is moving. Now in the case they do move. The SBC should stick togeather for the simple fact that we are growing strong. We are in the position to be a mid-major SEC conference. We're in the right location for recruiting and the southeast loves football. The SBC is the fastest growing conference. If we could get basketball to the point we have 3 team in the tourny each year we will be even stronger.

Everybody want to move to a bigger conference. I want the SBC to stay the same for the simple fact that we have a good foundation to build on.
05-16-2009 07:19 PM
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(05-16-2009 07:07 PM)trojanblood Wrote:  I have been hearing the rumor about UT and aTm leaving the BIG XII. The reason why iI ask this question is for the simple fact that there was a rumor that was spreading across the stadium club seating at the 2007 FAU/TROY game that BIG EAST and CUSA representatives were at the game checking out both schools for possible membership into one of those two conferences. SO I pose this thought. What would it take for TROY, FAU or any school in the Sunbelt to move conferences? I am not trying to start an argument like the last thread I started got some people very heated up you might say. Just want feed back.

FAU has no prayer because they are the most cash-strapped athletic department in the Sun Belt. They already have the worst facilities and they had to buy second-hand football practice uniforms from Air Force.

Troy, I don't know. The football program is top notch, but beyond that you don't really offer much. Average attendance in football and baseball. Poor to pathetic attendance in bball and no advantageous media market.

If another conference comes after SBC schools, they would come after MTSU, WKU, South Alabama or maybe even FIU.
05-16-2009 07:38 PM
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
It's rumored that the NFL is scouting Troy for possible membership.02-13-banana They have several competitors because the SEC, Big East, CUSA and PAC 10 are in constant text message communication with Troy officials about jumping to their respective conferences.04-rock FAU has been ruled out because Schnelly refuses to communicate by any means other than an old fashioned phone.03-banghead

To further complicate matters, ESPN is preparing a special investigative report indicating that Troy message board supporters are responsible for these and other rumors that seem to be surfacing mysteriously all to frequently with no credible source being identified and/or listed05-stirthepot

More later, but the meds are kicking in and it's time for my nap.03-woohoo
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2009 08:45 PM by MeanGreen61.)
05-16-2009 08:29 PM
trojanblood Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

LOL...That was funny. You know what is funnier..??? How many games has UNT won in the past 3 years...uh 6 I think and 1 of those was against a pitiful FIU team in 2006 that took 7 OT's to win. So dont knock us for your miserable and pathetic football team that you guys have aquired.

I just wanted feed back, not your attempt to be funny!!!
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2009 08:46 PM by trojanblood.)
05-16-2009 08:44 PM
sotsclarinet08 Offline
2nd String

(05-16-2009 07:38 PM)theboro Wrote:  Troy, I don't know. The football program is top notch, but beyond that you don't really offer much.

I don't really know what you mean by that. Football is our strong point yes but we are excelling at almost every sport. Softball was 1st all season until the end and finished 3rd. Men's Basketball was picked to finish next to last and we finished 2nd in the east and 3rd overall and got a bid to the CBI tournament and lost by only 2 points to CofC (93-91)! Women's basketball tied for 3rd. Baseball finished 3rd this year and is hosting the SBC tournament. And we also have a sport that none of the other schools in the SBC have, Rodeo. Men's rodeo finished 3rd and the Women's finished 3rd in the Ozark Region championships!

Men's basketball attendance consistently got better this year. Baseball never had a home attendance below 1,000 this year.... And all of our facilities are brand new and are some of the best in the southeast. Except for our Arena (which will be replaced by 2012).
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2009 09:04 PM by sotsclarinet08.)
05-16-2009 08:51 PM
Advertisement

Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(05-16-2009 08:29 PM)MeanGreen61 Wrote:  It's rumored that the NFL is scouting Troy for possible membership.02-13-banana They have several competitors because the SEC, Big East, CUSA and PAC 10 are in constant text message communication with Troy officials about jumping to their respective conferences.04-rock FAU has been ruled out because Schnelly refuses to communicate by any means other than an old fashioned phone.03-banghead

To further complicate matters, ESPN is preparing a special investigative report indicating that Troy message board supporters are responsible for these and other rumors that seem to be surfacing mysteriously all to frequently with no credible source being identified and/or listed05-stirthepot

More later, but the meds are kicking in and it's time for my nap.03-woohoo

Umm lets see,
High school coach high school team= lots of losses in D1 football.
05-16-2009 08:54 PM
OldJaguar Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USA
Tis always fun to wish and hope....
Tis fun to compare conferences.. I love the chat about how the Sun Belt is better than fill in the blank because fill in the blank .
Fun is fun but soneone needs to face a few facts.
Fact 1: With the exception of our (few) fans, the world in general would not notice if the belt were to slide into the ocean.
Fact 2. We have very few fans. And even fewer who attend games.
Fact 3. The item which stands out to me is the cash the schools in the above mentioned (post) CUSA and Big East receive from media deals. Compare this to the amount belt teams receive from our media contracts.

Will the Big East come calling for any belt team.. Maybe , but I doubt it.
Why.. Take football.. look at your home attendance. Big East weak sister UConn drew 39000 last year at home. Take basketball.. only 2 Big East basketball schools drew fewer than the total seats in TROY's new arena at 4200 and 4650. When do you think Troy will average 4000 for basketball. I hope they do. But if they draw 5500 they will be in 3rd from the last in attendance.

When South played Louisville I was in attendance. They drew 17,000+ for FL A&M and the same for USA. Next year they will be in a new arena which seat over 23000 and will be sold out. 23000 is almost the total of the entire belt attendance average for basketball and more than most draw for football.

I am a belt fan and supporter. But we need to understand winning a few games is less important than winning the hearts of fans.
Every Belt school needs thousands of more fans.
05-16-2009 10:00 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
(05-16-2009 10:00 PM)OldJaguar Wrote:  Tis always fun to wish and hope....
Tis fun to compare conferences.. I love the chat about how the Sun Belt is better than fill in the blank because fill in the blank .
Fun is fun but soneone needs to face a few facts.
Fact 1: With the exception of our (few) fans, the world in general would not notice if the belt were to slide into the ocean.
Fact 2. We have very few fans. And even fewer who attend games.
Fact 3. The item which stands out to me is the cash the schools in the above mentioned (post) CUSA and Big East receive from media deals. Compare this to the amount belt teams receive from our media contracts.

Will the Big East come calling for any belt team.. Maybe , but I doubt it.
Why.. Take football.. look at your home attendance. Big East weak sister UConn drew 39000 last year at home. Take basketball.. only 2 Big East basketball schools drew fewer than the total seats in TROY's new arena at 4200 and 4650. When do you think Troy will average 4000 for basketball. I hope they do. But if they draw 5500 they will be in 3rd from the last in attendance.

When South played Louisville I was in attendance. They drew 17,000+ for FL A&M and the same for USA. Next year they will be in a new arena which seat over 23000 and will be sold out. 23000 is almost the total of the entire belt attendance average for basketball and more than most draw for football.

I am a belt fan and supporter. But we need to understand winning a few games is less important than winning the hearts of fans.
Every Belt school needs thousands of more fans.

Fact 1: The SBC has doubled in attendance the past 5 years.

Fact 2: The SBC is the fastest growing mid-major conference in football.

Fact 3: WKU would hold there on in the Big East in basketball attendance.

Fact 4: The SBC is a top notch baseball conference ranked 7th overall.

Fact 5: with the addition of WKU this year and USA in 20012 the SBC will be one of the best mid-major football conferences.

My opinion: The SBC will pass CUSA and the MAC within the next 5 years if all teams stick together.
05-16-2009 10:26 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
You Troy fans are adorable when you're angry.

Be sure and let us know when you manage to make a bowl in consecutive years (congrats on those "co-championships"!) so we can send you a cake or a cookie basket or something.
05-17-2009 02:24 AM
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(05-17-2009 02:24 AM)thetastygreek Wrote:  You Troy fans are adorable when you're angry.

Be sure and let us know when you manage to make a bowl in consecutive years (congrats on those "co-championships"!) so we can send you a cake or a cookie basket or something.

Now, don't get me wrong, I hate Troy as much as the next guy, but a North Texas fan taking shots at the Trojans right now makes as much sense as a football bat.

Seriously, UNT had the worst Division I FBS program in the universe last year and you're taking shots?
05-17-2009 06:34 AM
Advertisement

OldJaguar Offline
Water Engineer

1.Double attendance at football games? That is wonderful , but the average capacity of Belt stadiums is 27,232. The largest are 31,000. The average home game attendance for belt football teams last year was 18,353. CUSA averaged about 10,000 more. The 2 weakest attendance teams in CUSA drew over 19,000. The 2 weakest teams in the belt drew 13,852 and 16,126. The belt's attendance champ last year , ULL, drew 21,468 mighty Troy drew 19,231. CUSA had 3 teams over 35,000.
2. Fastest growing what? Quality? Interest? Attendance?
3. WKU attendance in the big East..WKU average home attendance in basketball was 5138. WOW thet would have put them at 15th place in the big East third from the bottom. If they sold out every home game they woule move up 2 places.
4. Baseball in the belt is great and we all know it. But nobody cares..4 or more belt teams drew less than 500.
5. Adding WKU and USA will be great. You are correct.

Please understand I want the belt to be the best. But we will have to work twice as hard. We get no help from history or population. Which of these TV markets would you be fighting to get into if you were building a new conference? BG? Murfreesboro? Denton? Jonesboro? Lafayette? Monroe?

Winning goes only so far.
If you were adding to your conference would you rather add a team which would fight for the conference championship in football every year and whose home attendance was 22,000 or a team in the middle of your pack whose attendance was 40,000?

Lastly.. I have 2 friends who serve on the GMAC Mobile bowl selection committee. A great gig if you can get it. The visit 8-12 games a year as Bowl Reps. My words in these posts are in part taken from what they learned from the commissioners of CUSA and the Big East and ADs at those conference schools.

Are you picky about who you want to add to the belt? They are picky times 10.
They want schools who are in great markets.
They want schools who draw over 25,000 in football and 5,000 in basketball. They want schools who have the best facilities.
And lastly you better sell a lot of season tickets.
05-17-2009 07:33 AM
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I'd want in the Murfreesboro or BG market, seeing as how it's Nashville.

I'd also want in the Denton market, seeing how it's Dallas.

But ever since UNT eliminated Division I football, I don't think they'd be a candidate.
05-17-2009 07:37 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Let's go to the root point. UT and TAMU leaving.

Where to?

The SEC just before the economy got really bad signed a mega-deal with CBS & ESPN. Works out to $17 million per team. Huge increase because before that they were splitting around $10 million per team between TV, bowls, championship events, and the NCAA Tournament.

The only reason to add teams is to add revenue. To make it worthwhile, CBS and ESPN would have to raise the TV package by more than $35 million per year. Except now with ad sales falling off the table, CBS and ESPN appear to have over-paid for the SEC. CBS might pay more because they don't have a presence in Texas. ESPN would likely not, they already have UT and TAMU in their inventory and it reduces the value of their Big 12 contract. So you can scratch that even though UT and TAMU would leap at it because the money would be better for them.

Next choice? Big 10. OK the Big 10 would have to go to 13 or find yet another member. A significant portion of their TV is tied up in their in-house network meaning they are bleeding dollars right now because they have assumed the risk of ad sales. There is potential revenue out there for a title game but your venue choices are Detroit, Indy, Dallas and Houston and 11 schools won't like the Dallas and Houston options. How much desire does ESPN/ABC have to hurt their Big 12 inventory to help their Big 10 contract? Probably very little. Unlikely there is enough money to make it work.

Pac-10? Not hardly. There isn't much value for 10 Pacific time zone schools to be treated to 5 pm tip-offs on Wednesday night.

The Texas/TAMU window has closed unless the Big 10 can find some way to make it work.
05-17-2009 07:47 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
the promblem with moving up to C-USA is the schools are large metro area,
West side of Sun Belt would be overlaping markets & private schools will be
real picky. If there mass exdious from C-USA, C-USA would look towards the
MAC to gain markets, Bowls & protect Marshall on an island.

With MWC not wishing to make any moves. That means WAC is a stable conf.
MWC is showing no intrest in Boise, Frenso or Haw.
Why the WAC is not putting east div together with LousT & NMST together is beyond me.
WAC has 3 bowl tie-ins & consistentaly puts more than that in bowl games.
they recentally had at-large in BB & gets teams in NIT
You guys scream base ball, Frenso won BB last yr.

12 team conf would lower travell costs, set up CG in football,
2 mini tourn in Basketball & Baseball with CG at latter date.
Put WAC in Tex & Cali, 2 biggest market out there.

Seems like no brainer to me
05-17-2009 08:00 AM
OldJaguar Offline
Water Engineer

The boro and BG in the Nashville market?
Sure..You are counted in the market that cares about the goings on in Nashville. But take a deep breath .. The people in Nashville do not care much about MTSU or WKU.. How may people in Nashville will be discussing the WKU-MTSU co-championship around the water cooler on Monday? 10? 100? You are in Their Market.. They are in no way in yours! Go to Nashville and ask people on the street which is their favorite Sports team. Who they support. Who they would watch on TV or in person.
Even easier count the number of MTSU /WKU hats or shirts you see.
Count the number of GB or boro based companies that have ads in Nashville papers or on Nashville TV stations. Then count the number of Nashville based Ads at your stadium and arena.

Lastly ask your athletic director about your impact on the Nashville Market. Obviously you will find I am wrong. That is why our TV package is so great. We have Miami, Nashville x 2, Mobile, Dallas, the rich sun coast of FL, and New Orleans as Market Areas . We are in great shape and spend our time counting the TV revenue.
05-17-2009 08:53 AM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
We are just 35 miles from Nashville.

I'm willing to bet the house that MT gets more pub in Nashville than USA gets in Mobile.

(05-17-2009 08:53 AM)OldJaguar Wrote:  The boro and BG in the Nashville market?
Sure..You are counted in the market that cares about the goings on in Nashville. But take a deep breath .. The people in Nashville do not care much about MTSU or WKU.. How may people in Nashville will be discussing the WKU-MTSU co-championship around the water cooler on Monday? 10? 100? You are in Their Market.. They are in no way in yours! Go to Nashville and ask people on the street which is their favorite Sports team. Who they support. Who they would watch on TV or in person.
Count the number of GB or boro based companies that have ads in Nashville papers or on Nashville TV stations. Then count the number of Nashville based Ads at your stadium and arena.

Lastly ask your athletic director about your impact on the Nashville Market. Obviously you will find I am wrong. That is why our TV package is so great. We have Miami, Nashville x 2, Mobile, Dallas, the rich sun coast of FL, and New Orleans as Market Areas . We are in great shape and spend our time counting the TV revenue.
05-17-2009 10:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
[quote='OldJaguar' pid='4331324' dateline='1242568403']
The boro and BG in the Nashville market?

[/quote

UT has most the Nashville market. Just like Alabama has all the Mobile market. I am sure nobody cares about USA in Mobile either. I doubt you would see anybody wearing USA hats or t-shirts or talking about the football team that plays highschool teams this upcoming season. The fact of it is, is that most of the schools with the largest support and money got a huge head start on most the Sun Belt schools and we are just trying to play catch up. It just takes time.
05-17-2009 10:33 AM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
MT also has more alumni living in Nashville than any other university.
05-17-2009 10:34 AM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-17-2009 10:33 AM)MT FAN Wrote:  UT has most the Nashville market. Just like Alabama has all the Mobile market. I am sure nobody cares about USA in Mobile either. I doubt you would see anybody wearing USA hats or t-shirts or talking about the football team that plays highschool teams this upcoming season.

You'd be surprised. I see people wearing USA and USA Football T's all over town all the time. Also, don't forget the fact we had 10-16,000 (depending upon the source) show up at Ladd Peebles to watch the spring scrimmage game.
05-17-2009 10:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.