MBB- FIU hiring Isiah Thomas?
Bookmark and Share
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
MBB- FIU hiring Isiah Thomas?
ESPN says FIU is trying to hire Thomas.

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4065658
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2009 05:16 PM by statefanatic.)
04-13-2009 05:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
RE: MBB- FIU hiring Isiah Thomas?
When you have no fans or tradition --- go for the stylish hire. Makes sense.
04-13-2009 06:21 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
Maybe he could sexually harass some of the student body.
04-13-2009 06:32 PM
MeanGreenEagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: North Texas
(04-13-2009 06:21 PM)galojah Wrote:  When you have no fans or tradition --- go for the stylish hire. Makes sense.

Dang, some WKU fans are quick to get snooty towards the rest of the Belt when it comes to basketball.

Check the sig to be brought back down to earth Toppers.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2009 06:39 PM by MeanGreenEagle.)
04-13-2009 06:39 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

Oh, please... PLEASE, as a devoted heckler, I hope this comes true.

I thought Mike Jarvis was an easy target... I can't wait to say hello to the man who killed the CBA and dug the Knicks another few miles down in the grave.
04-13-2009 06:46 PM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
MeanGreen, your point was basketball, yet you try to refute it with a football video? If all you can hang your hat on as a UNT fan is a win over a winless (vs. I-A) WKU team-- you need to rethink some things yourself.

Blunt maybe, but true. FIU has no basketball fan support and no tradition. I don't think anyone would argue with that.
04-13-2009 06:59 PM
Advertisement

Joel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FIU
I am... perplexed to say the least, as an FIU fan. Would the name bring media attention and recognition? Yes, it gives the media down here an intruiging storyline to follow. Recruiting? Probably would get even better than it has been. Coaching ability? It's suspect... abyssmal track record in New York, but was decent in Toronto and Indiana. Controversial? Very... and this is the one thing that REALLY concerns me.

I'm not gonna lie, our basketball program needs life. It needs something to really breathe some kind of life into it. If this was the Heat making this kind of a hire, I would be fuming. But FIU... it's a different story. Can he be successful? I don't know. IF he gets the job, he needs to be kept on a tight leash. The LAST thing this school needs is a legal fiasco involving a coach. I think he could make a positive short term impact and if he ends up being successful as a college coach (it is a completely different environment than the NBA, after all) then we might have hit the jackpot.

I'm leaning towards supporting this move... only because I trust our Atheletic Director Pete Garcia and what he has been able to do with our sports' programs.
04-13-2009 07:22 PM
posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

I think Isaiah would be a tremendous hire. Just on the standpoint that he is a big name guy who would attract a tremendous amount of attention. He would more than certainly attract recruits. Does he come with baggage, yes. But this would be a great way to get publicity, and if it happens, a good coach.

Yes a good coach, not great but definitely not bad. He had a tougher hand in NY then Roucco had down here.
04-13-2009 07:26 PM
fauowls561 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FAU
(04-13-2009 06:46 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  Oh, please... PLEASE, as a devoted heckler, I hope this comes true.

I thought Mike Jarvis was an easy target... I can't wait to say hello to the man who killed the CBA and dug the Knicks another few miles down in the grave.

There is no comparision here. Mike Jarvis is a bona fide college basketball coach with a history of success everywhere he's coached. Thomas is a walking disaster who makes every situation he enters worse.
04-13-2009 07:27 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(04-13-2009 07:27 PM)fauowls561 Wrote:  
(04-13-2009 06:46 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  Oh, please... PLEASE, as a devoted heckler, I hope this comes true.

There is no comparision here. Mike Jarvis is a bona fide college basketball coach with a history of success everywhere he's coached. Thomas is a walking disaster who makes every situation he enters worse.

Jarvis also has a checkered history and questionable recruiting ethics. I'm saying that as a rival fan, they're both very easy to torment from behind the bench.

I'll give you $400 a week if you'll be my friend, though. 05-stirthepot
04-13-2009 07:32 PM
MiRi Offline
Water Engineer

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2009 07:49 PM by MiRi.)
04-13-2009 07:49 PM
Advertisement

posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

MIRI!!!! You beat me to it....

Oh well I'm gonna post it anyway!!!!

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking...97814.html

Well I didn't think we would be able to afford the guy. But hopefully he can bring this program up. I certainly hope so. Media attention will be good for a little.
04-13-2009 07:53 PM
MiRi Offline
Water Engineer

Haha!

On one hand I am worried due to his coaching history. On the other hand, I am looking forward to see if he can get students pumped up for basketball, if he can get us some good funding and media attention.

Also, on the bad side, I have my Cane buddy laughing at me. 03-razz

I guess we'll see what happens.
04-13-2009 07:59 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I'm on both side of the fence here.....It certainly surprised the heck out of me, but hey...it could turn out to be a great hire...or just another coach with a losing record for FIU hoops.....

At this point, I'm liking it more and more......wishful thinking doesn't necessarily turn into reality....

Welcome to FIU, Isiah!
04-13-2009 08:34 PM
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Denton Record-Chronicle Blog.

April 13, 2009

Isiah Thomas to FIU? Not buying it
7:41 PM Mon, Apr 13, 2009
Brett Vito

Florida International men's basketball coach Sergio Rouco was reassigned within the department after five mostly mediocre seasons today.

Almost immediately, rumors started that Isaiah Thomas, one of the best players in NBA history and the former coach of the New York Knicks, was on FIU's wish list.

I have covered games at Pharmed Arena. There are better venues at a lot of Texas high schools.

I just can't see Thomas starting over at FIU, despite the Sun Belt's reputation for reviving basketball coaching careers. Former LSU coach John Brady ended up at Arkansas State, Mike Jarvis went to Florida Atlantic, which also gave Matt Doherty a second chance before he left for SMU.

(Insert your own joke about Doherty taking a step down by leaving FAU for SMU here)

It sounds like FIU will negotiate with Thomas for a week and then look for another coach if it can't seal the deal. By the way, bet the bank on Rouco landing somewhere as an assistant and taking big center Freddy Asprilla with him.

My guess is that FIU will end up with another coach and benefit a little from the splash it made by leaking the Thomas news.

FIU sure could use a little publicity in the Miami area where its rival Florida Atlantic has come out way ahead. The Owls have won bowl games the last two seasons behind Howard Schnellenberger while FIU has struggled until last year when it seemed to get it right by hiring Mario Cristobal. Neither team has done much in basketball -- both teams were terrible last year -- but FAU has some hope after hiring Jarvis, who will be able to recruit.

FIU is taking a bath in a local rivalry, which is about as pleasant as UNT fans watching SMU succeed in anything (and I am not saying they have).

The school needs to get this one right like it did with Cristobal. I would just be shocked if FIU can pull off landing Thomas.
04-13-2009 08:48 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-13-2009 08:48 PM)MeanGreen61 Wrote:  Denton Record-Chronicle Blog.

April 13, 2009

Brett Vito

Florida International men's basketball coach Sergio Rouco was reassigned within the department after five mostly mediocre seasons today.

Almost immediately, rumors started that Isaiah Thomas, one of the best players in NBA history and the former coach of the New York Knicks, was on FIU's wish list.

I have covered games at Pharmed Arena. There are better venues at a lot of Texas high schools.

I just can't see Thomas starting over at FIU, despite the Sun Belt's reputation for reviving basketball coaching careers. Former LSU coach John Brady ended up at Arkansas State, Mike Jarvis went to Florida Atlantic, which also gave Matt Doherty a second chance before he left for SMU.

(Insert your own joke about Doherty taking a step down by leaving FAU for SMU here)

It sounds like FIU will negotiate with Thomas for a week and then look for another coach if it can't seal the deal. By the way, bet the bank on Rouco landing somewhere as an assistant and taking big center Freddy Asprilla with him.

My guess is that FIU will end up with another coach and benefit a little from the splash it made by leaking the Thomas news.

FIU sure could use a little publicity in the Miami area where its rival Florida Atlantic has come out way ahead. The Owls have won bowl games the last two seasons behind Howard Schnellenberger while FIU has struggled until last year when it seemed to get it right by hiring Mario Cristobal. Neither team has done much in basketball -- both teams were terrible last year -- but FAU has some hope after hiring Jarvis, who will be able to recruit.

FIU is taking a bath in a local rivalry, which is about as pleasant as UNT fans watching SMU succeed in anything (and I am not saying they have).

The school needs to get this one right like it did with Cristobal. I would just be shocked if FIU can pull off landing Thomas.

Tell that writer is not Pharmed Arena, but US Century Bank Arena....wrong there....and it's almost confirmed...it seems to his chagrin...that Thomas will be the new FIU coach...according to the Miami Herald and FIU's beat reporter, Pete Pelegrin...maybe he would try and contact him before writing this full or factual errors report..geez..
04-13-2009 08:55 PM
Advertisement

Joel Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-13-2009 08:55 PM)FIUFanatic Wrote:  

April 13, 2009

Brett Vito

Tell that writer is not Pharmed Arena, but US Century Bank Arena....wrong there....and it's almost confirmed...it seems to his chagrin...that Thomas will be the new FIU coach...according to the Miami Herald and FIU's beat reporter, Pete Pelegrin...maybe he would try and contact him before writing this full or factual errors report..geez..

Wow... does this guy know anything? This is just plain sloppy reporting. Period. Obviously didn't do research before writing this up.
04-13-2009 09:24 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(04-13-2009 09:24 PM)Joel Wrote:  
(04-13-2009 08:55 PM)FIUFanatic Wrote:  

April 13, 2009

Brett Vito

Wow... does this guy know anything? This is just plain sloppy reporting. Period. Obviously didn't do research before writing this up.

He's a solid reporter. This was not a newspaper piece, this was a quick hit reaction piece he did for a blog he runs on behalf of the newspaper.

As for the error on the name, you'll have to excuse him for not being up to the second on naming rights changes. According to Wikipedia, the naming rights only changed at the end of last year. He may not have ever been to the US Century Bank Arena (and who could forget a charming corporate name like that anyway?). Even if he did make it there after the name change, for the past 5 seasons, it was Pharmed.

You FIU people are almost as bad as North Texas fans. 03-razz
04-13-2009 10:11 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

Also... FULL of factual errors? Aside from one easily understood mistake on a corporate name, what did he get wrong?

90% of what was in that was clearly identified as opinion. And did he not praise Cristobal and the football improvement enough to satisfy you guys?

I hope you guys do wind up landing Thomas, but either way... Ease up a little bit.
04-13-2009 10:14 PM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

AP Source: FIU close to naming Isiah Thomas coach
By TIM REYNOLDS - AP Sports Writer

Isiah Thomas is on the verge of starting his coaching career over at Florida International.

The Hall of Fame point guard and former New York Knicks coach is deliberating whether to take over FIU's basketball program, a person with knowledge of the school's search told The Associated Press on Monday night.

The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because university officials have not authorized anyone to reveal search details, said FIU was "very hopeful" that a deal could be closed with Thomas on Tuesday morning. He would replace Sergio Rouco, who was ousted after five consecutive losing seasons, including a 13-20 campaign this year.

If Thomas accepts, he would be introduced in Miami on Wednesday. He did not immediately respond to messages left on his phone by The Associated Press on Monday night.

Thomas became the Knicks' president in 2003, their coach in 2006 and was fired in 2008 after, among other things, a sexual harassment lawsuit and almost never-ending chants from fans who wanted him gone. He remains under contract with the Knicks, but has permission to seek work elsewhere.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh was aware Monday night of FIU's interest in hiring Thomas, but the team couldn't specifically say what the status of the contract talks were.

Among the other candidates on FIU's list: Former Miami Heat players Ed Pinckney and Tim Hardaway, both of whom continue to have strong ties to South Florida. Pinckney is an assistant coach with the Minnesota Timberwolves but still maintains a residence in the Miami area; Hardaway briefly coached the now-defunct Florida Pit Bulls of the American Basketball Association.

"I want to put my name in the hat, but I think Isiah Thomas is getting it," Hardaway told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I know I can bring some good prospects in. I have a good eye for good talent, so I'm putting my name in to try."

One of those prospects Hardaway could have possibly brought in: His son, Tim Hardaway Jr., who is already a highly sought-after recruit by many Division I programs.

But almost as soon as Rouco's firing - a "reassignment," the school called it, since he remains under contract - the buzz centered around Thomas.

In recent years, the Golden Panthers and athletic director Pete Garcia lured Mario Cristobal away from Miami to take over their football program, landed noted college baseball recruiter Turtle Thomas as that program's coach, plus opened an on-campus football stadium and even has made inroads on hosting professional and international soccer matches.

And now, this could be the biggest get yet for FIU: Thomas, who helped the Detroit Pistons win a pair of NBA championships as a point guard, then had success as coach of the Indiana Pacers before things unraveled for him with the Knicks.

A year ago, the Knicks finished 23-59, prompting Thomas' firing. They never won a playoff game in his tenure as president or coach.

Thomas went 56-108 in New York and is 187-223 as an NBA coach, leading the Indiana Pacers to the playoffs in three straight years from 2000-03. Once he was hired to run the Knicks, he acquired Stephon Marbury from Phoenix, a move - much like the one where he gave center Jerome James a $30 million contract - that never panned out.

And there were off-the-court issues, too.

A jury found that Thomas and Madison Square Garden sexually harassed former team executive Anucha Browne Sanders and ordered the company to pay $11.6 million in damages. That, along with the losing, brought on a wave of "Fire Isiah!" chants that would typically start soon after tip-off at MSG.

Then this past October, Thomas found himself dealing with more drama. Officers responded to his New York-area home after a 911 call reporting an overdose on sleeping pills. According to police reports, those officers found a man passed out on the floor and gave him oxygen until an ambulance arrived.

Authorities never publicly identified Thomas as the victim, but a person familiar with the case later confirmed to the AP that it was the former NBA star.

A new beginning potentially awaits at FIU, which could clearly use a spark. The Golden Panthers have lost 20 games in three of the last four years, and haven't had a winning record since going 16-14 in the 1999-2000 season.
04-13-2009 10:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.