Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Tugs 2009 Tournament Thread
Bookmark and Share
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:
NIU Tugs 2009 Tournament Thread
The 40+ year NIU tradition begins Sunday, April 19th concluding with the 5th place, 3rd place and championship matches on Saturday, April 25th. There are 9 teams in the bracket. Crowds for the championship match should reach 2000+. Comcast Sports Net will be doing an extended new segment (4-5 minutes in length) on the tournament.

Massive party at Molly's afterward. VIP room with 3 hours of free keg beer for anyone showing their proof of attendance at Tugs. This is going to be the best year for NIU Tugs ever.

My team, Sigma Nu (#6 seed), faces TKE (#3 seed) on Monday. Another good Monday match will be #5 Sigma Pi vs. #4 SAE. If you've never been to NIU Tugs, I highly recommend going to see a match or two. It is a sport unlike anything you've ever seen before.
04-11-2009 09:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chicago IL Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Myself
RE: NIU Tugs 2009 Tournament Thread
Guys pulling a rope. Exciting.
04-11-2009 09:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
(04-11-2009 09:58 PM)Chicago, IL Wrote:  Guys pulling a rope. Exciting.
Each others ropes.
04-11-2009 11:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
go figure frats gonna go tug eachother ropes, the HS girls must not be available this weekend.
04-11-2009 11:33 PM
rabidawg900 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: We Are Huskies
Why all the tugs hating?

The football team will even be attending the championship match after they finish the spring game this year. Not to mention every sorority girl at NIU will be attending as well. It's a lot more hard work and dedication than you think to tug.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2009 01:46 AM by rabidawg900.)
04-12-2009 01:42 AM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
:rolltide:
04-12-2009 02:36 AM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
I swear that I saw a frat do the elephant walk down Hillcrest the other night

Why so much hating?

Because the greek system is a joke filled with a bunch of douches. I do have some friends who are Greek and they even say that 90% of fraggots are tools.
04-12-2009 08:28 AM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:

It is very difficult to describe the sport to anyone who has never seen it before. This is not your typical jr. high tug of war at a picnic. Months of training is involved. Most fraternities begin indoor training in late January after they return from winter break and move their practices outside after spring break. Most teams train 3 nights per week, then move to 4 nights per week the last few weeks before the tournament.

It takes a lot of commitment to get your body into the kind of shape needed to endure this sport. Unfortunately, there are a lot of serious injuries that can come from the sport. There is a lot of technique to hold and leverage the rope properly. There is also a lot of technique needed to apply physics, torque and pressure against the other team.

If it was not a fascinating sport, Comcast Sportsnet would not be sending Josh Mora out for a second year in a row to cover it. Josh told me it is the most gruelling, intense, raw sport he had ever seen and was amazed it was a largely undiscovered sport tucked away on the NIU campus.

Here is a news article posted to YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_yHGs-oD00

And here is a documentary trailer on the sport (2 minutes length) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDh3fiYGNCw

Enjoy!
04-12-2009 09:41 AM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
Please stop using the word sport to describe a ramped up recess activity. Maybe next year the frats can play tag instead.
04-12-2009 10:16 AM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
04-12-2009 10:48 AM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-12-2009 10:16 AM)niusfactuary Wrote:  Please stop using the word sport to describe a ramped up recess activity. Maybe next year the frats can play tag instead.

Hey there, NIUfactory... I'm just curious. Are you an undergraduate or an alumnus? Do you have two minutes to take a look at this video clip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDh3fiYGNCw

Check out the action at around the 38 second mark and beyond. Does that look like a recess activity to you? Anyone who has seen this event (on video or live in person) would not be careless enough to call it a recess activity. They may not like the sport, but they would at least have enough self-dignity not to embarrass themselves by making such an uninformed comment.

If you are an undergraduate at NIU, lemme know. I would be willing to pay you $20.00 and arrange for you to tape up and get in the trenches for only 5 minutes at an upcoming practice. Then you will be qualified to tell me if you think it's a recess activity or not. Looking forward to your reply.
04-12-2009 03:14 PM
Advertisement

niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
(04-12-2009 03:14 PM)Kedzman Wrote:  
(04-12-2009 10:16 AM)niusfactuary Wrote:  Please stop using the word sport to describe a ramped up recess activity. Maybe next year the frats can play tag instead.

Hey there, NIUfactory... I'm just curious. Are you an undergraduate or an alumnus? Do you have two minutes to take a look at this video clip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDh3fiYGNCw

Check out the action at around the 38 second mark and beyond. Does that look like a recess activity to you? Anyone who has seen this event (on video or live in person) would not be careless enough to call it a recess activity. They may not like the sport, but they would at least have enough self-dignity not to embarrass themselves by making such an uninformed comment.

If you are an undergraduate at NIU, lemme know. I would be willing to pay you $20.00 and arrange for you to tape up and get in the trenches for only 5 minutes at an upcoming practice. Then you will be qualified to tell me if you think it's a recess activity or not. Looking forward to your reply.

Cool...a bunch of meatheads pulling a rope. Awesome. Wow, now that I've seen this I wish I could go back to NIU and participate, you know, instead of focusing on getting a college degree.
04-12-2009 03:34 PM
Chicago IL Offline
Water Engineer

(04-12-2009 09:41 AM)Kedzman Wrote:  

It is very difficult to describe the sport to anyone who has never seen it before. This is not your typical jr. high tug of war at a picnic. Months of training is involved. Most fraternities begin indoor training in late January after they return from winter break and move their practices outside after spring break. Most teams train 3 nights per week, then move to 4 nights per week the last few weeks before the tournament.

It takes a lot of commitment to get your body into the kind of shape needed to endure this sport. Unfortunately, there are a lot of serious injuries that can come from the sport. There is a lot of technique to hold and leverage the rope properly. There is also a lot of technique needed to apply physics, torque and pressure against the other team.

If it was not a fascinating sport, Comcast Sportsnet would not be sending Josh Mora out for a second year in a row to cover it. Josh told me it is the most gruelling, intense, raw sport he had ever seen and was amazed it was a largely undiscovered sport tucked away on the NIU campus.

Here is a news article posted to YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_yHGs-oD00

And here is a documentary trailer on the sport (2 minutes length) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDh3fiYGNCw

Enjoy!

I've seen and participated in Tugs, and I know the commitment needed to compete, but at the end of the day it's a simple game that is glorified. I wouldn't touch NIUs greek scene with a ten foot pole, but I give a "pat on the back" for all those that competed. I suggest an Ultimate Frisbee Tournament? Can we call that a sport and discuss how hard these young men and women work? Nah.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2009 05:18 PM by Chicago IL.)
04-12-2009 05:14 PM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-12-2009 05:14 PM)Chicago, IL Wrote:  

Enjoy!

I've seen and participated in Tugs, and I know the commitment needed to compete, but at the end of the day it's a simple game that is glorified. I wouldn't touch NIUs greek scene with a ten foot pole, but I give a "pat on the back" for all those that competed. I suggest an Ultimate Frisbee Tournament? Can we call that a sport and discuss how hard these young men and women work? Nah.

I'm unclear on you statements "I've participated in Tugs" and "wouldn't touch NIU's Greek scene". Aren't those statements mutually exclusive? How can you Tug and not be in a fraternity?
04-12-2009 05:29 PM
Chicago IL Offline
Water Engineer

(04-12-2009 05:29 PM)Kedzman Wrote:  
(04-12-2009 05:14 PM)Chicago, IL Wrote:  

Enjoy!

I'm unclear on you statements "I've participated in Tugs" and "wouldn't touch NIU's Greek scene". Aren't those statements mutually exclusive? How can you Tug and not be in a fraternity?

I didn't attend NIU for my undergraduate degree.
04-12-2009 06:03 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I watched the two minute trailer. Still have the exact same opinion as before watching it. Bunch of guys who train at tug of war who are meatheads. They can't wait to win so they can "flick everyone off and tell them to kiss my ass". Also loved the notre dame, ball state and whatever other non-NIU college apparel I saw during the video. I know several people who competed in tugs and I don't think any of them would call it an especially athletic activity. Then again, the guys I know were all athletes (football, basketball etc) and most of the guys competing are roided up muscleheads. Just my two cents anyway.

edit - this doesn't mean i don't think they train their asses off and whatnot...i just don't see the point in watching some dudes pull a rope and act all macho afterwards
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2009 08:38 PM by armour248.)
04-12-2009 08:36 PM
Advertisement

CowboysNiuFan31245 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cowboys & NIU
(04-12-2009 08:36 PM)armour248 Wrote:  I watched the two minute trailer. Still have the exact same opinion as before watching it. Bunch of guys who train at tug of war who are meatheads. They can't wait to win so they can "flick everyone off and tell them to kiss my ass". Also loved the notre dame, ball state and whatever other non-NIU college apparel I saw during the video. I know several people who competed in tugs and I don't think any of them would call it an especially athletic activity. Then again, the guys I know were all athletes (football, basketball etc) and most of the guys competing are roided up muscleheads. Just my two cents anyway.

edit - this doesn't mean i don't think they train their asses off and whatnot...i just don't see the point in watching some dudes pull a rope and act all macho afterwards

+1
04-12-2009 09:05 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
(04-12-2009 08:28 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  I swear that I saw a frat do the elephant walk down Hillcrest the other night

Why so much hating?

Because the greek system is a joke filled with a bunch of douches. I do have some friends who are Greek and they even say that 90% of fraggots are tools.
Funny that you say that because right before I almost ran over the Pikes I commented to my roommate that they were starting their elephant walk.
04-12-2009 09:16 PM
CHoran24 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan & NIU
What I don't get is every year Kedz starts a Tug thread and the same people every year use it as an opportunity to bash on the Greek system. It is no secret that Kedz annual Tug thread is going to be about frats, so if people have nothing to say about the greek system other than how terrible it is why do they even waste their time reading these post?
04-12-2009 10:05 PM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-12-2009 10:05 PM)CHoran24 Wrote:  What I don't get is every year Kedz starts a Tug thread and the same people every year use it as an opportunity to bash on the Greek system. It is no secret that Kedz annual Tug thread is going to be about frats, so if people have nothing to say about the greek system other than how terrible it is why do they even waste their time reading these post?

What's up, Chris & Bleeds! Hope you guys are doing well. Are you guys down with going to some tugs matches this year? Would love to see you guys out there - plus, 3 hours of free keg beer at Molly's afterward in their VIP room aint bad either. Are you down?
04-12-2009 10:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.