Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Newsday: Big Ten should add Temple
LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
Newsday: Big Ten should add Temple
I personally think this is poorly written/argued, but Newsday thought it was good enough to post to its website and it's relevant to the discussion here:

Big Ten should add Temple
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2009 07:01 PM by LastMinuteman.)
03-31-2009 07:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: Newsday: Big Ten should add Temple
Yeah, pretty weak. The Big 10 doesn't need to add anyone, and they can wait forever for Notre Dame.

Rutgers would be a good fit due to academics and tradition (more or less the time they've been around). Look for the Big East to nab Temple if that happens. Minnesota to New Jersey is quite the trek though.

I think Syracuse would listen, but I feel like the Big East is their conference. Obviously, if the Big 10 cared they would be the 2nd Big 12 by now.

Nebraska and Mizzou would also be nice, but I think their exit fee would be ridiculous.
03-31-2009 10:52 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Adding temple wont help the big 10. there is only 4 schools that make any sense.. Mo, ND, RUt, n cuse.. and to be honest I think they want only 1.. ND.. with cuse being a distand #2.
04-01-2009 07:39 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Hmmm...TEMPLE???? lay off the drugs! you could make the case the big east should add temple but not the big 10...My top 10/11 picks for big 10 expansion:

1)ND
2tie)Rutgers
2tie) Syracuse
3) Missouri
4) Kentucky
5) UCONN
6) Cornell
7) Nebraska
8) W.virg
9) Pitt
10) Uof Toronto

I think every one of those picks would add value and the big 10 would be a better league with any of them for spot #12...clearly, the u of Toronto and cornell would need an adjustment period before entering the big 10 but probably not that long for every sport but football...football might take a few years though.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2009 12:00 PM by bluesox.)
04-01-2009 09:55 AM
EgoBoss3000 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC & CFB
Yeah, temple is a stretch. Cuse could be interesting.

B10 east:
PSU
OSU
Cuse
MSU
IU
Purdue

Big 10 west
Mich
NW
Ill.
Wis
Minn
Iowa
04-01-2009 01:46 PM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Temple to the B10 - DREAM ON. 04-jawdrop 03-melodramatic 03-drunk 03-lmfao

That spot is reserved for ND. If they spit in the the B-10's face again on the next and final offer: flip a coin for Syracuse or Rutgers, both of which will split and run at the blink of and eye. 03-nutkick 04-rock 05-stirthepot 04-cheers
04-01-2009 06:31 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
First Temple to the Big 11= 01-wingedeagle

The List should be
1.Notre Dame
2.Kentucky
3.Syracuse
4.Iowa state( which would do anything the Big 10 asked of them )
5.Nebraska
6.Mizzou ( which I don't think will ever leave Kansas and Kansas state )
7.West Virginia (This should be higher)
8.Louisville
9.Canadian school
10.Nobody
11.Temple
04-01-2009 07:28 PM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
Sportswriters at the Newsday have been inhaling way too much printers ink. Temple will never be in the Big 10. I doubt the BE will ever invite Temple back in. Temple is fortunate to be in the conferences it's in. Despite being in a large market Temple is near the bottom of the MAC in attendance. However with time and winning that should change.
04-02-2009 12:28 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Apparently the blogger isn't aware that the Big Ten has a rule whereby a member institution must belong to the AAU. The only school they have been willing to make an exception for in the past was Notre Dame because it is I believe that should Notre Dame be nominated for AAU membership they would get in.

This is not the case with Temple. 01-wingedeagle

Cheers,
Neil
04-03-2009 08:55 PM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(04-02-2009 12:28 AM)onlinepole Wrote:  Sportswriters at the Newsday have been inhaling way too much printers ink. Temple will never be in the Big 10. I doubt the BE will ever invite Temple back in. Temple is fortunate to be in the conferences it's in. Despite being in a large market Temple is near the bottom of the MAC in attendance. However with time and winning that should change.

Never say never. If the FB and BB schools stay together and Temple continues to put a half decent product on the field there is potential for them to be readmitted as a FB only again. They have made all the improvements on the BE list except for the attendance requirement. And they can meet that requirement in years that Penn State and Navy both play at the Linc. Two years ago when both of these teams played at the Linc in the same season, Temple's average attendance soar to 35,000+.

Temple has upgraded its practice facilities, its offices, now has administrative support, and has a contract with the Linc for home games until 2018 - playing in a Pro stadium like Pitt and USF. They no longer have the problem of playing around the dual problem of the Eagles and the Phillies in September and October like that had at the Vet.

As for the attendance problem - yes they need to put their own fans and students in the seats, but the close BE teams like Rutgers, UConn, Cuse, Pitt, and WV need to travel there too with fans, to support BE games in general. If Navy can help to put 35,000+ fans in the Linc and Penn State can pack the place, then the close BE teams should be able to do the same as Navy or help shove the attendance number to 40,000 when they play there.

Finally the re-admittance of Temple would be seamless as a FB only in 2010. They could be looking for a home again depending on their stand with the MAC and they already have their other sports in the A-10. The league would not have to share BB money but could flip a number of BB games and other sports games at Temple as OCC games or meets. They are in a major market and in the heart of the BE footprint and could also reduce travel costs for a majority of the Northeast teams for FB and other sports OCC.

I wouldn't count Temple out for FB only if the league stays together. They would provide a seamless entry, do well on a compromise vote with the BB schools, and provide a ninth FB game from the heart of the FB footprint which seems to be the only major piece missing under the current set up, which most schools if not all the schools seem to be happy with at this point in time, given the success of BB this season through the post season run.
04-04-2009 09:16 AM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

Anything is possible but many things will have to change in the current conference(s) makeup for Temple to be invited back to the BE for football only. They're not even competitive in the MAC yet.
04-04-2009 03:14 PM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

To be fair to Golden, they are improving and are competitive in the much weaker MAC East but they have only beaten EMU in crossover games.
04-04-2009 03:22 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(04-04-2009 09:16 AM)panite Wrote:  I wouldn't count Temple out for FB only ......

With the kind of decisions I have seen the Big East make in the past, neither would I, despite the fact that it would be going full circle.
04-06-2009 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

canewton Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Do you people really think the Big 10 would really invite the likes of Kentucky, Louisville, West Virginia, Temple, or a Canadian School? There is absolutely no way the Big 10 will invite a non AAU (American association of universities, a association of the US's/Canada's most elite research universities.) I mean, there is a reason the University of Chicago is still an affiliate member (although doesn't play any sports).

We can pretty well assume that the Big 10 won't expand. Unless more money is offered or they are forced to.

This means they won't expand for any team that doesn't offer both of the following: the team has a huge fan base. Either that or the added team will have to have a crazy dominate football squad (the only reason they would be forced to add a team would be because they might lose BCS status (not likely).

You can pretty well assume they will wait for ND, and ND will never join because their 'fan base' is so large NBC pays them to much money.

Also, Cornell will NEVER leave the ivy league. There is absolutely no reason to ever leave the ivy league. Leaving the ivy league will only hurt any institution that leaves.
04-07-2009 12:16 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Cornell = NY state Land Grant University...the big 10 model

Cornell would make serious academic research $'s by joining:

http://www.cic.net/Home/AboutCIC.aspx

not to mention the athletic $'s the big 10 would bring into the school + name recognition and athletic opportunities ...now the reality, even though cornell is probably viewed as being the bottom of the barrel in the ivy league academic standing, don't think they would consider leaving it + the folks making such a decision, would be much more inclined to stay in the ivy...hehehe...my take, it would be at least worth a study by some hotshot consulting firm on the benefits of joining the big 10 for cornell, ditto the big 10 considering cornell...I do think out of my list of 11 schools, you can drop, Neb,WV, and Kentucky do to their academic standing + pitt do to lack of a market but i still like the other 7 for consideration...clearly, the top 4 of ND,cuse,rutgers, and missori seem to be the most likely pool, probably 99% chance that if the big 10 goes to 12, it will be one of those 4.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2009 10:40 AM by bluesox.)
04-07-2009 10:38 AM
canewton Offline
All American

LOL, do you even know how much research Cornell does a year? In 2006, more than $443,000,000 and that doesn't count their medical school (another $200,000,000+). They already do more research every year that almost every other Big 10 school.

Not only that but Cornell's current FCS team is non-scholarship. Not only are they non-scholarship, they don't even play for the FCS championship. They don't play football for money, they play football to compete with the other ivy league schools. The only gain to joining the Big10 would be football revenues. The HUGE loss to cornell would be leaving the association with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Dartmouth, Brown, & Columbia. There is a reason these schools are in the same conference and a reason they don't compete with other schools in football. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT FOOTBALL REVENUES. These schools are already the 8 best known schools in the country, why the hell would any of them leave? For money? Cornell has an endowment of $5+ Billion, and research expenditures around $500,000,000 a year. Leaving the Ivy League would be the stupidest conference affiliation change any school has ever made.
04-08-2009 12:41 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
No ? it would be a bold move, maybe more of an april fools move but i still like it:

http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/20...e-and.html
04-08-2009 01:56 PM
Advertisement

canewton Offline
All American

(04-08-2009 01:56 PM)bluesox Wrote:  No ? it would be a bold move, maybe more of an april fools move but i still like it:

http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/20...e-and.html

Cornell averaged a little over 7,000 fans a game last season. This isn't going to happen. Why would the big 10 ever settle for that when they could eventually just wait out ND?
04-08-2009 06:32 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
I know im in the minority but i still dont think that, in the unlikely event that ND joined a FB conference ,it would be the B10. I see them forming a new conference based on the paterno model from the early 80's or joining the BE
04-08-2009 07:04 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Well on my NCAA Football 2009 Dynasty I'm Temple and we're in the ACC. lmao... its fun living in the fanstasy world.
04-08-2009 07:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.