Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Gates: No change soon on `don't ask, don't tell'
Gates: No change soon on `don't ask, don't tell'

Published - Mar 29 2009 09:04AM EST

[Image: 192xX.jpg]
In this March 18, 2009 file photo, Defense Secretary Robert Gates speaks to reporters during a news briefing at the Pentagon in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, File)

Don't expect any change soon to the "don't ask, don't tell" policy about gays in the military.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates says both he and President Barack Obama have "a lot on our plates right now." As Gates puts it, "let's push that one down the road a little bit."

The White House has said Obama has begun consulting with Gates and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on how to lift the ban. Gates says that dialogue has not really progressed very far at this point in the administration.

The Pentagon policy was put in place after President Bill Clinton tried to lift the ban on gay service members in 1993.

The policy refers to the military practice of not asking recruits their sexual orientation. In turn, service members are banned from saying they are gay or bisexual, engaging in homosexual activity or trying to marry a member of the same sex.

Gates appeared on "Fox News Sunday."

http://www.rr.com/home/home/article/9000..._dont_tell

03-29-2009 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Gates: No change soon on `don't ask, don't tell'
Worst program ever. Turned into a witch hunt in the mid 90's. McCarthy would have been proud.

03-29-2009 09:54 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
It really is too bad. A lot of good soldiers, sailors, and marines have been pushed out because of it. Arab linguists have taken a big hit as a result. At the time it was the best option, but it has become a disaster and needs to be changed.

03-29-2009 11:18 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(03-29-2009 11:18 AM)subflea Wrote:  ...Arab linguists have taken a big hit as a result.

Why would Arab linguist take a hit bigger than any other function? Are Arab linguists prone to be homosexual?

03-29-2009 05:29 PM
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-29-2009 05:29 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(03-29-2009 11:18 AM)subflea Wrote:  ...Arab linguists have taken a big hit as a result.

Why would Arab linguist take a hit bigger than any other function? Are Arab linguists prone to be homosexual?

I don't think it is that Arab linguists are more likely to be be gay. I think it is that there aren't that many Arab linguists to begin with and they are not easily replaced. So when the military loses 60 (that is the most recent number I have seen), its affect is more dramatic.
If you have 1000 helicopter mechanics and 60 are kicked out for being gay, it isn't that big of a deal because they can be replaced rather easily. When you have 1000 Arab linguists and kick 60 out for being gay, it is difficult to find candidates to replace them. Being such a vital part of today's military operations, losing any really hurts.

03-29-2009 08:40 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
So basically you are saying anything that makes it harder to hire positions that are already difficult to hire makes it even more difficult. I can't argue with that.

One thing I'm genuinely confused by though (btw, I'm no expert and this is not intended to offend anyone): I'd guess "don't ask don't tell" in Arab culture is fairly close to as good as it gets for a homosexual. I'd think in other jobs the policy is more "we'll ask and if we don't believe you or don't like your answer the result could be worse than merely not getting or losing a job." In other words, I'd think a gay Arab translator would see a job with a "don't ask don't tell" policy as less than perfect but a lot better than the policy of many other possible employers.

03-30-2009 01:23 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Your idea could also be a factor. Either way the policy is stupid and it is time to get rid of it. If homosexuals are willing to fight and die for their country, they should be allowed to.

03-30-2009 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.