INside the Owl's Nest
Bookmark and Share
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
INside the Owl's Nest
Courtesy of OwlAccess:

Springing forward
The Florida Atlantic football team is using its three Sun Belt Conference losses in 2008 for motivation as the Owls kicked off 2009 spring practice on Wednesday.

by Chuck King

BOCA RATON - Florida Atlantic football players are putting last season’s Motor City Bowl victory in the past, opting instead to use the three losses the Owls suffered in Sun Belt Conference play as their motivation during Wednesday’s first spring practice.

FAU entered the 2008 season as the defending Sun Belt champs, but a 1-5 start that included two conference losses humbled the Owls.

“We know what it was like to win the conference and we know what it’s like not to win the conference,” quarterback Rusty Smith said. “We really are disappointed in how we handled ourselves last season, coming out really sloppy, losing three games in conference which we should not have lost, but it was our own fault.”

Smith said the sting of finishing tied for second in the Belt still lingers. Their primary goal in these 15 spring workouts is not necessarily winning a third consecutive bowl game. The Owls want to win that Belt title back.

While teammates can work together without coaches during the offseason, preparation for the 2009 season began in earnest on Wednesday.

“This offseason a lot of the people were hungrier,” tight end Jamari Grant said. “They were anxious to get back. A lot of the players were working on things they could improve on. I saw a lot more film study and things like that. This spring should be a good one.”

The most noticeable difference in FAU’s offense will not be on the field, it will likely be on the sideline. Last season’s wide receivers coach Darryl Jackson takes over offensive coordinator duties from the departed Gary Nord.

Former Louisville offensive coordinator and Howard Schnellenberger pupil Jeff Brohm joins the Owls staff as the quarterbacks coach.

Brohm brings NFL experience to the Owls and even though he wasn’t able to work with Rusty on the field until Wednesday, Smith says he’s already picked up several tips just through conversations.

“If you start in August, you are slow already,” Smith said.

Spring Practice Report: Wednesday (Practice 1)

Moving the ball: WR Cortez Gent not only looks in good physical shape, but appears to be excited for spring drills to begin. The normally quiet Gent had plenty to say after each catch on Wednesday.

Stopping the ball: SS Rod Hugggins had an interception in team drills and appears ready to make a case to win the starting spot in a battle with Austin Jensen.

Position battle: The competition will be pretty good at tight end this spring, and got off to a good start Wednesday when both Jason Harmon, going through his first practice since last spring, and Jamari Grant each had nice catches.

Instant message: “It means so much to know that he has been to the next level. He knows what it takes to get to the next level. He coached his brother, who is now at the next level.” – Quarterback Rusty Smith discussing what it means to be working with new quarterbacks coach Jeff Brohm.

Up next: The Owls are back on the fields behind the Oxley Center on Friday at 3:30. The Owls don pads for the first time on Saturday.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2009 08:16 AM by Burn the Horse.)
03-26-2009 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline

RE: FAU Spring Practice Reports....
Spring Report Courtesy of OwlsNest

First stop QBs.......

Rusty, left, is quite fond of his practice jersey and just will not accept a new one..."Do you want a new one?" Answer: "No".

Hey, whatever keeps him throwing that speed rocket!

Van Kamp, right, will be getting the majority of the work this spring to help catch him up on his reads and the overall speed of the game...can be quite a difference between the running of a practice squad and game time team...

Next stop D-Line...where new Owl Coach Rod Payne (far right) is busy instructing his new players...he appears initially to be a hands on guy...i didn't count how many times he said "get the elbows in under the chest", but it must have been at least 5 in less than a minute...these guys better get that right, or someone will be running more than just drills...

We'll be doing more with Coach Payne one on one later in the week...

Next to last stop...Wide receivers...

Quite an impressive number of guys will be hashin' it out this spring to impress and jockey for playing time...

Not out there, but wish he was: Darian Williams.

Still in rehab for his knee surgery...he says things are going quite well and should return in August...

Amongst his other duties as new OC, Coach Jackson was busy with some one on one himself...

Below, he is giving Amos Wood, JR some evaluation and instruction...
03-26-2009 08:01 AM
OwlFamily Offline

Report Courtesy of the Palm Beach Post:

FAU BLOGGER
By Tom D'Angelo | Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 06:33 PM

That booming voice heard the first day of spring practice at FAU was that of new defensive tackles coach Rod Payne.

Payne, the Miami native who played at Michigan before a three year NFL career, stood out on a spirited first day, which also was his first day as a coach on the college level.

“It looks like Rod Payne has some enthusiasm and it looks like it’s infectious,” coach Howard Schnellenberger said.

Schnellenberger was pleased with the first of the 15 practices, which conclude with the April 18 spring game. The receivers and secondary were especially loud with a lot of trash talking back and forth.

WR Cortez Gent taunted the secondary after making a catch on a deep ball thrown by Rusty Smith and TE Jamari Grant stared down the defenders after making a nice catch and run.

And TE Jason Harmon, practicing for the first time since his knee injury last summer, got into a scuffle with linebacker Chris Eterno.

“It will get harder when we put the pads on and we go for real,” Schnellenberger said

FAU News Article:
FAU's goal: Reclaim Sun Belt
By TOM D'ANGELO

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

BOCA RATON — Florida Atlantic University commenced spring practice Wednesday with the sole objective of reclaiming the top spot in the Sun Belt Conference.

"We know what it's like to win the conference and we know what it's like not to win the conference," quarterback Rusty Smith said.

"We really are disappointed in how we handled ourselves last season, coming out sloppy, losing three games in conference."

FAU's quest on winning the conference again began after its Motor City Bowl victory against Central Michigan in December and will heighten with 14 spring practices plus the April 18 spring game.

"We're seeing guys greedy and more hungry," tight end Jamari Grant said. "We were on top and we know how it felt to be on top."

The Owls followed their 2007 Sun Belt Conference championship with a 7-6 record last season. FAU had to win five of its final six games to become bowl eligible.

Smith, the 2007 conference player of the year, traces the team's 1-5 start in 2008 to less intense summer workouts.

Smith expects his receivers (including tight ends, running backs and fullbacks) to log much more time this summer on the practice field.

"I've talked to the receivers and the leaders of the receiving corps that they need to get back into the routine we had in '07," Smith said. "Getting out there and catching the ball, throwing the ball to the right spot, making the right reads and getting on the same page with each other."

Said Grant: "The season is a long time away but there's things you and your quarterback can work on."

Smith prepared for the spring by watching film and getting acquainted with new quarterback coach Jeff Brohm and offensive coordinator Darryl Jackson, who was promoted from receivers' coach.

Brohm, who played under FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger at Louisville, is familiar with the Owls' offense, having run in or coached it his entire career.

Smith is looking forward to tapping into Brohm's NFL knowledge as he gets closer to a pro career. Brohm spent seven seasons in the NFL on six teams.

"It means so much to know he has been to the next level," Smith said. "He knows what it takes to get to the next level; he coached his brother who is now at the next level."
03-26-2009 08:05 AM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Wow, we're looking at a great Sunbelt season here. These guys are coming back strong. Troy better bring it's A game every single week or it will not be back in a bowl game. Good stuff, Owls. 04-cheers
03-26-2009 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OwlFamily Offline

RE: INside the Owl's Nest
Seems FAU took to heart the lesson learned last year.

NOTHING is given to you. You have to take it over and over again.

Sounds like the new DL coach is lighting a fire under them boys.

I like the intensity so far. Look for a fired up Owls team.
03-26-2009 09:45 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

I Root For: FAU
(03-26-2009 09:45 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  Florida Atlantic University commenced spring practice Wednesday with the sole objective of reclaiming the top spot in the Sun Belt Conference.

Look out TROY, we are after you, and very hungry!!!!

Thanks OwlFamily, The NEW FAU INsider!!!!! 04-cheers
Are you coming up to the USC game with all the alums?
That is the only game I can attend since I am in the NC.

GO OWLS!
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2009 10:31 AM by NCowl.)
03-26-2009 10:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(03-26-2009 10:21 AM)NCowl Wrote:  Look out TROY, we are after you, and very hungry!!!!

It appears everyone is, it's going to be very tough for Troy to win the sunbelt as there are a lot of good teams this year. Though I have faith in my boys. 04-cheers
03-26-2009 10:43 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
we've had a target on our back for three years now, we're used it to.

Let's make sure to keep all discussion on these INsider threads on topic. These threads are "owned" by the team who they represent. If people get carried away talking about other schools or teams those posts will be deleted.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2009 11:20 AM by Burn the Horse.)
03-26-2009 11:20 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

FAU Owls look to rebuild defense in spring football practice

By TOM D'ANGELO

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

BOCA RATON — Howard Schnellenberger has some rebuilding to do following the loss of 20 seniors.

And most of it will be on defense.Florida Atlantic University starts spring football practice today looking to rebuild a defense depleted by graduation. Coaches, though, are confident the offense can find a few good running backs and offensive linemen to complement a strong returning cast.

"Spring practice is the boot camp of our football team where young guys learn to play football and older guys learn how to go from reserves to starters," Schnellenberger said.

The biggest losses are in the defensive front seven where six starters depart. The Owls are looking for Edward Bradwell, Michael Lockley and Malik Eugene to take over for a linebacker group that lost the program's all-time leading tackler, Frantz Joseph.

"They've been here for awhile, they're pretty experienced," Schnellenberger said. "They need to step into the leadership roles."

The offense is less of a concern considering quarterback Rusty Smith returns for his third season as the full-time starter along with the top four wide receivers, fullback Willie Rose and a stable of tight ends that has Jason Harmon back from injury.

The focus will be replenishing the tailback position that lost Charles Pierre and DiIvory Edgecomb, and replacing four starting offensive linemen.

Jeff Blanchard of Delray Beach, Willie Floyd and Avionne Rolle should take their battle to become the starting tailback well into the spring and summer.

"Even though we've got great talent, more than when we had with Pierre and Edgecomb, they don't have experience and they're not quite mature physically," Schnellenberger said.

The offensive line never established continuity last season because of a series of injuries. Now, it will have to replace four key players. The only healthy offensive lineman who started more than half the season available for the spring is left tackle Lavoris Williams.

Insider Note: In reading elsewhere, even though we are replacing a lot of defense, there is a lot of talent to fill in the empty rolls, so it's just a matter of how they adapt as starters and new leaders and how they develop through these first practices. And for the running backs, we have depth there, so should be no worries.
03-26-2009 12:53 PM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

Not Official yet, but this is what we have so far:
Sept. 5 at Nebraska
Sept. 12
Sept. 19 at South Carolina
Sept. 26 at North Texas
Oct. 3 vs. Wyoming
Oct. 10 at Troy
Oct. 17
Oct. 24 at Louisiana-Lafayette
Oct. 31 vs. Middle Tennessee
Nov. 7 at UAB
Nov. 14 vs. Arkansas State
Nov. 21
Nov. 28
Dec. 5 at Florida International

Still TBA
vs. Louisiana-Monroe
vs. Western Kentucky
03-27-2009 06:32 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

Players anxious to put on pads Saturday

South Florida Sun-Sentinel -- Ted Hutton
March 27, 2009
The Owls will put on pads for the first time Saturday in football spring practice, and the players are looking forward to it.

"Death Day One," is how offensive lineman Carl Spitale termed it.

The Owls practiced without pads Wednesday and Friday.

Wednesday's first practice was a spirited affair, as players and coaches alike showed an enthusiasm which may have been lacking last spring.
FAU is trying to get off to better start than last year, when they were 1-5 through the first half of the season before rebounding and going 5-1 in the second half and earning a bid to the Motor City Bowl, which they won.

Saturday's practice is set to begin at 2 p.m. and scheduled to go to 4:30.
03-27-2009 09:44 AM
Advertisement

RDA Trojan Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(03-27-2009 06:32 AM)NCowl Wrote:  Not Official yet, but this is what we have so far:
Sept. 5 at Nebraska
Sept. 12
Sept. 19 at South Carolina
Sept. 26 at North Texas
Oct. 3 vs. Wyoming
Oct. 10 at Troy
Oct. 17
Oct. 24 at Louisiana-Lafayette
Oct. 31 vs. Middle Tennessee
Nov. 7 at UAB
Nov. 14 vs. Arkansas State
Nov. 21
Nov. 28
Dec. 5 at Florida International

Still TBA
vs. Louisiana-Monroe
vs. Western Kentucky

I was looking at this yesterday, and I think I have it figured out. Edit: Looks like both will be home games, based on the fact that you play @ NT, Troy, UL-L, and FIU.

But ULM's only open date that coincides with an FAU open date is Nov. 28. And WKU's only open date that coincides with an FAU open date is Oct. 17. The open date on Sep. 12, WKU is playing USF, and ULM is playing Texas Southern. Nov 21 is the ULM/ULL game, and the WKU/ASU game. So those will be the dates. Everything else has been eliminated, unless for some reason y'all end up playing one or the other on Aug. 30.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2009 11:53 AM by RDA Trojan.)
03-27-2009 11:52 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

5 Home Games

Wyoming, the only non-conference home opponent, will play FAU at Lockhart Stadium, rounding out the home schedule of five games. FAU is slated to host Sun Belt Conference members Western Kentucky University, Middle Tennessee State University, Arkansas State University, and University of Louisiana at Monroe at home.
03-27-2009 01:04 PM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

FAU gets after it as pads go on
by Ted Hutton at 5:51 PM

Pads make all the difference, and FAU could ramp things up on Saturday. Oklahoma drills to start, a lot of trench warfare, ending in a short scrimmage.

Only ding I saw was the WR Avery Holley was out of commission. After pratice he was on crutches and his foot right foot wrapped in ice. No bother. It’s spring.

Offense is and should be ahead of the young D, and that will be the case into the fall. You have eight starters back on O, three on D, so there is a lot of learning going on.
[Image: 09baseball051.jpg]
[Image: 09baseball053.jpg]
DL coach Johnny Frost, with DT Josh Savidge, left, one of the vets on the D.
[Image: 09baseball054.jpg]
CB Tarvoris Hill.

And here is our practice report from the Owlsnest. There are a handful of videos there: 3/28/09 - Practice Report / Oklahoma Drills
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2009 07:31 AM by NCowl.)
03-30-2009 06:36 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

Hall's awards recognize top athletes, coaches

By HAL HABIB

Monday, March 30, 2009

WEST PALM BEACH — Besides recognizing this year's inductees, the Palm Beach County Sports Hall of Fame presented several awards Sunday night. They included:

Amateur athlete of the year: Florida Atlantic University quarterback Rusty Smith won for the second time in three years. Smith threw for 3,224 yards and 24 touchdowns this season and led the Owls to a victory in the New Orleans Bowl, where he threw for 307 yards.
03-30-2009 07:26 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

March 30th Practice Report
Photos: Ted Hutton

The Team held their second full pad practice of the spring today. Individual unit, seven-on-seven and team drills were the focus.

The Defense impressed during the team session early. Josh Savidge got to the quarterback along with Dino Cox. Mark Soto got a couple of stops on running plays, and Edward Bradwell recovered a fumble.

The offense picked things up late in the session, as Rusty Smith was able to find Rob Housler on a post pattern. He later found Cortez Gent and Willie Rose on screens that would lead to decent gains.
[Image: 09springfoot106.jpg]
[Image: 09springfoot096.jpg]

The Team returns to practice on Wednesday, April 1 and Friday, April 3 at 3:30 p.m. The first scrimmage of the spring will be held this Saturday, April 4 at 2 p.m.
03-31-2009 08:01 AM
Advertisement

NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

It can get heated in the trenches, even FAU vs. FAU
By Ted Hutton

I plan on focusing on the trenches this spring (O and D lines), because that is the key to both sides of the ball.

The D has been hampered by lack of a pass rush these last couple seasons, and the O had problems early last season when the line was banged up.

[Image: 09springfoot062.jpg]

The Voice is also spending a lot of time watching the lines go at it. And they do. And sometimes it spills over.

[Image: 09springfoot163.jpg]

Notice defensive line coach Rod Payne, on left in white shirt, forcing his way into this scrum.
That is because DL Jarvis Givens and OL Carl Spitale are getting into it.
-
[Image: 09springfoot166.jpg]

The end result was this sandwich, with Spitale unfortunately at the bottom, Givens in the middle, and Payne on top.

That was it for the day, though I would advise Givens to keep his helmet on next time around.

Later, Spitale was more than holding his own in one-on-one drills.

[Image: 09springfoot113-1.jpg]
04-01-2009 07:02 AM
OwlFamily Offline

Courtesy of Owlaccess:
----------------------------------------------------------------

Practice had ended for most FAU football players when new offensive coordinator Darryl Jackson spied a few linemen in the corner of the practice field working with O-line coach Dale Williams.

[Image: jackson-handsondrill400-739046.jpg]

Jackson, the Owls' wide receiver coach last season, walked purposefully over to the group to see how he could help.

"Our season is going to go how our offensive line goes," Jackson said. "We know that Rusty is our signal caller, but we have got to be able to run the ball and we've got to be able to throw it whenever we want to."

The offensive line lost three starters from last season and an injury will keep David Matlock from participating in spring practice. The vacancies have left a leadership void on the offensive line that Jackson said is just starting to be filled.

Jackson pointed to center Ryan Wischnefski, tackle Lavoris Williams and guard Kevin Miller as players who are becoming more vocal. It will be interesting to see how that develops in the coming weeks.

Another new addition to this year's spring practice is the "perfect stance" drill. Those who have stuck around until the end of practice have surely noticed this little gem. All the offensive players get into their pre-snap stances and hold it. On the whistle everyone but the quarterback falls to the ground and bounces back up. Quarterbacks jump as though they are trying to reach a high shotgun snap. Here is a video that shows what it looks like. In this video Jackson explains why they do it.

Where did the drill come from? Jackson smiled and said he adapted it from one run by a major northern football program. He runs it when players are tired, forcing the line to concentrate when they are most vulnerable to mental breakdowns.

"A mentally tough O-line will win you ballgames when it matters most," Jackson said. "People probably didn't even realize that in the fourth quarter against Central Michigan, we did not throw the ball in that last drive. We ran the ball and that was probably the most explosive our O-line looked the entire season. We played with a purpose. We have to have that from Day 1."
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2009 12:05 PM by OwlFamily.)
04-01-2009 11:57 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

April 1st Practice Report
from FAU Media Relations

The offensive line is building cohesion and continues to open holes for running backs Willie Floyd and Avionne Rolle.

The tight ends provided a reliable target throughout practice as a battle for the starting position between Jason Harmon, Jamari Grant and Rob Housler remains.

Linebacker Michael Lockley and defensive back Tarvoris Hill made several athletic pass break-ups on defense.

Thw Team retunrs to the practice field on Friday at 3:30 p.m.

FAU will hold their first scrimmage of the spring on Saturday, April 4 at 2 p.m. at the Oxely Field.

FAU spring priority: Emphasis on the trenches
from Ted Hutton - Sun-Sentinel

More action from the trenches. Defense is young, so they are getting a lot of coaching on technique this spring, and means a lot of trips to the sleds.

[Image: 09springfoot084.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2009 08:16 AM by NCowl.)
04-02-2009 08:10 AM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

RB Jeff Blanchard out with injury
from Ted Hutton - Sun-Sentinel

Bad news for hard-luck RB Jeff Blanchard, who could miss the season with a knee injury.

He was hurt in Monday's practice and didn't practice Wednesday and FAU is expecting bad news once he has a full evaluation.

The good news is that FAU is stacked at the RB position, so losing Blanchard (5-9, 195) is not a big blow.

He was listed as No. 1 on the depth chart, but a lively battle was expected, and FAU has made a habit of RB by platoon, and that was likely to be the case in 2009.

[Image: 09springfoot048.jpg]

Blanchard, 25, in a recent practice.

You still have Willie Floyd (5-9, 175), a very Blanchard-like RB, and then you have Xavier Stinson and Avion Rolle, two very promising young backs.

[Image: 09springfoot008.jpg]

Floyd, 28, cuts into the middle.

And at fullback there is Willie Rose backed up by the talented Alfred Morris.

The Voice said going into the spring his main concerns were the O and D lines, because they still don;t have depth they need there.

Plenty of RBs, QBs, TEs, WRs, LBs, DBs, though thos LBs and DBs are young and untested. But they have enough to absorb some injuries.

RB LogJam
As stated earlier, I am not all that concerned about the injury to Jeff Blanchard as it relates to the impact on the offense.

Yes, he was solid and would have contributed. But there are plenty of backs ready to step in. Blanchard was not a lock to be the No. 1 back, and that is because of all the talented backs FAU has.

This is not the same situation as losing Jason Harmon. Blanchard can be replaced.

I did like Blanchard as a kick returned, and FAU needs one to replace DiIvory Edgecomb, and they still need a reliable punt returner.

Fans will get a chance to see those players auditioning for the role of RB Saturday in the first scrimmage. Should be interesting.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2009 08:18 AM by NCowl.)
04-02-2009 08:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.