ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Seeding Louisville No. 1 overall one of committee's missteps
Seeding Louisville No. 1 overall one of committee's missteps

Posted: March 15, 2009

There wasn't anything the NCAA Tournament selection committee could have done to get all the most deserving teams into the field, short of messing with the results of the SEC and Pac-10 championship games.

Tournament bids that should have gone to St. Mary's and Creighton instead were pilfered by Mississippi State and Southern Cal, which won their conference's automatic bids in agonizingly close title games.

Committee members demonstrated the integrity of the process by selecting two at-large teams from a weak SEC field and seeding none of the league's three entrants higher than South No. 8 LSU -- even though SEC commissioner Mike Slive is committee chair.

Just because the committee is scrupulous, though, does not mean it is infallible. Among the puzzlers:

Louisville is No. 1 overall? However you want to define it -- by margin (minus-17 to UConn, minus-14 to Western Kentucky) or opposition (non-tourney teams UNLV and Notre Dame) -- the Cards surely had more bad losses than any overall top seed, ever.

Why sandbag Washington? The Pac-10 regular-season champion earned the West No. 4. Seems about right. But why stick the Huskies with a first-round game against SEC tourney champ Mississippi State? Purdue, meanwhile, got the No. 5 seed in that region and a first-rounder against Northern Iowa.

Why elevate Villanova? Wake Forest was 6-1 against the top 50 to Villanova's 7-6. But not only did the Wildcats get the No. 3 seed that should have belonged to the Deacons, they also got to start their journey in Philadelphia.

The bubble criteria? The committee respected bubble teams that defeated top opponents, clearly the entry fee for Arizona (Gonzaga, Kansas), Maryland (North Carolina, Wake Forest, Michigan State), Michigan (Duke, UCLA) and Minnesota (Louisville).

That had to sting for Saint Mary's, which lost twice to Gonzaga with star guard Patrick Mills injured and cost itself a chance to play a November neutral-court game against Wake Forest with a surprisingly poor effort against UTEP.

Lesson learned? The slightest slips can make a difference.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vie...p?t=527895

03-16-2009 10:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kenyon#4 Away
Retired

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: Seeding Louisville No. 1 overall one of committee's missteps
I have no problem with Louisville being #1 over all, none. They won the regular season title and conference tournament title of the toughest basketball conference in the nation. They are playing great balll right now, I see no quibble with thier selection.

03-16-2009 10:27 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I agree. The U of L won the Big East tournament and regular season title. I do believe that the Big East needs to change its conference schedule and tournament format again to create more a balanced conference schedule. My solution is to go a 16 game schedule where everybody plays each team once plus one bonus game against a rival/made for tv/competive matchup. The conference tournament should start on Tuesday with the following matchups 1 v 16, 2 v 15, 3 v 14, and 4 v 13. The winners would have a day off because Wednesday would feature 8 v 9, 7 v 10, 6 v 11, and 5 v 12. The winners would play tuesday winners. Also the Big East needs to find a way to get all of the conference tournament games on TV. I do not care it it ESPNU, ESPN Classic, or local ESPN Big East network.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2009 10:41 AM by bearcatlawjd.)
03-16-2009 10:40 AM
Advertisement

BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I am fine with U of L getting the #1 overall seed. Sure they had some early losses, but they finished hot (One of the few top teams to not lose late in the season). They won the toughest conference both regular season and tourney titles. I thought they deserved the top seed.

03-16-2009 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
I am surprised that X is a #4 seed. They were 5-5 in there last 10. They are a 5-6 seed.

03-16-2009 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.