Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nutz, innocents murdered and guns back in the headlines.
Bookmark and Share
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Nutz, innocents murdered and guns back in the headlines.
same old same old.

Be thankful none of the victims are your family or friends.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2009 10:06 PM by cyberdawg.)
03-10-2009 10:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
RE: Nutz, innocents murdered and guns back in the headlines.
After reading the press release about this incident I want to know how this guy was able to shoot people in 3 seperate incidents in different communities and not get caught till the 3rd incident? Law enforcement must be lax down their. Obviously conceal and carry didn't help these unfortunate individuals who were attacked. Just a sickening tragedy.
03-10-2009 10:46 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The pastor in s Il had no chance.

Must churchgoers pack heat during services to be safe?
03-11-2009 09:36 AM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
(03-11-2009 09:36 AM)cyberdawg Wrote:  The pastor in s Il had no chance.

no, the churchgoers were safe, the pastor wasnt.
03-11-2009 02:29 PM
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
(03-10-2009 10:46 PM)onlinepole Wrote:  After reading the press release about this incident I want to know how this guy was able to shoot people in 3 seperate incidents in different communities and not get caught till the 3rd incident? Law enforcement must be lax down their. Obviously conceal and carry didn't help these unfortunate individuals who were attacked. Just a sickening tragedy.

If it was rural and isolated, noone would have heard the shots and probably not called the po po. Plus some of those rural counties may not have a bunch of people in squads to respond that quickly. Really a tough situation.
03-11-2009 02:39 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
I work in a heavily crime-infested area. Once or twice per week, my employer sends out crime alerts. It's always muggings and armed robbery. If I were allowed to conceal and carry, I would - and I would feel a hell of a lot safer. Then again, if I were accosted, I would use my gun, and I'd probably be the one to get in trouble.
03-11-2009 02:41 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(03-11-2009 09:36 AM)cyberdawg Wrote:  The pastor in s Il had no chance.

... Ask Peter......
03-11-2009 02:51 PM
HuskiesComeOnYouHuskies Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies!
(03-11-2009 02:41 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I work in a heavily crime-infested area. Once or twice per week, my employer sends out crime alerts. It's always muggings and armed robbery. If I were allowed to conceal and carry, I would - and I would feel a hell of a lot safer. Then again, if I were accosted, I would use my gun, and I'd probably be the one to get in trouble.

I'm right there with you. I've taken all the legal steps in order to be able to possess a gun, but for some reason, the state of Illinois refuses to pass a conceal and carry law. That being said, there are many places where I do not feel a gun should carried, but if some lunatic busts into my congregation on a Sunday morning while I'm sitting in church and starts unloading on people, I'd pull my gun and take them out. I think in the world we live in today, people should be able to protect themselves. I'm not saying that anyone carrying a gun should be allowed to shoot someone, but there has to be a time when a responsible gun carrier, who has gone through the proper steps and has been deemed legal to carry a gun, should be able to protect themselves and the innocent around them.

That being said, if a conceal and carry law is ever passed in Illinois, getting a gun and FOID card should be a more difficult process. Then if you are deemed responsible through that process, then carry your gun legally, and use it responsibly.
03-11-2009 02:57 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Packing a concealed weapon will deter a NUT from a rampage?

You are applying logic to irrational minds not logical.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2009 03:51 PM by cyberdawg.)
03-11-2009 03:25 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-11-2009 03:25 PM)cyberdawg Wrote:  Packing a conceaeld weapon will deter a NUT from a rampage?

Your are applying logic to minds not logical.

It won't necessarily deter the nut, but that's not the point here. Carrying and using a weapon will protect ME and possibly other innocents. It certainly gives me a much better chance of surviving an attack than had I not been carrying a weapon. And, who knows? Maybe the knowlege of people carrying guns to protect themselves just WILL deter that nutbag.
03-11-2009 03:29 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Most nutz often choose to end their own life anyways for they have no reverence for life - including their own. They are often seeking to end their own miserable life and take others with them.

I dont agree nor disagree with the assessment of being better able to protect oneself from street crime & home invasions with a concealed weapon.

Those circumstances are NOT typically ones involving mass murder of innocents by nutjobs.

Can you begin to imagine a Cubs-Yankees world series or Bears- Packers in playoffs scenario in which most drunken fans from opposing teams packed heat in tailgate parking lots after a close game ends?

Booze, sports fanaticism and guns is not a good combination.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2009 04:01 PM by cyberdawg.)
03-11-2009 03:56 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-11-2009 03:56 PM)cyberdawg Wrote:  Can you begin to imagine a Cubs-Yankees world series or Bears- Packers in playoffs scenario in which most drunken fans from opposing teams packed heat in tailgate parking lots after a close game ends?

Booze, sports fanaticism and guns is not a good combination.

You should better educate yourself on conceal and carry laws before spouting off this type alarmism. Many states have conceal and carry laws, alcohol sales and sports teams without the blood bath you've imagined. 03-banghead

Everytime you post something like this, remind yourself that Illinois has some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the USA - laws that did nothing to stop the NIU shooting.

Remember Cybes, few of us conceal and carry advocates want to be a hero. We want to protect ourselves and our families first, and in order for me to protect myself and family against certain crimes, a concealed firearm is an option.

Personal choice is a HUGE part of the American psyche. Owning a firearm is a personal choice. Getting a conceal and carry permit is a personal choice.

Finally, remember as well that statistics from all sides of the arguement show that a very small percentage of firearm owners commit crimes, and an even smaller percentage of conceal and carry permit owners commit crimes.

Guns are never the problem. Crazies with guns are the problem. You won't stop the nuts, but damnit don't legislate me into a sheep among wolves.
03-11-2009 05:18 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-11-2009 03:25 PM)cyberdawg Wrote:  Packing a concealed weapon will deter a NUT from a rampage?

Actually, I would say your logic here is flawed - you have absolutely NO WAY of knowing how many crazies have been detered by the thought of getting into a shootout armed citizenry.

NO WAY.
03-11-2009 05:20 PM
Advertisement

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
what about all the ones not deterred?
03-11-2009 05:32 PM
kingbutter Offline
On A Roll

Folding@NCAAbbs
what's really scary is that I have a conceal and carry permit (lifetime...thanks indiana!)
03-11-2009 09:02 PM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
(03-11-2009 03:25 PM)cyberdawg Wrote:  Packing a concealed weapon will deter a NUT from a rampage?

it may not deter it, but it can certainly shorten it.
03-12-2009 07:34 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-11-2009 05:32 PM)cyberdawg Wrote:  what about all the ones not deterred?

What about all the ones committed with guns while guns are "illegal" in this state? Look at all the gun crimes committed in Chicago alone, while Dickey Daley spouts off on how terrible guns are. Are the current laws stopping the idiots and gang bangers from getting guns and committing crimes? No. What the laws are doing is preventing innocent people from getting the means to protect themselves and their families.

The conceal and carry law will not make it easier for the idiots to buy guns. They will still get their guns the same way they always have. The new law would allow us law-abiding citizens to help maintain our right to live in peace and security.

I had never been a gun advocate in the past. But, the astronomical rise in crimes committed with guns has changed my mind. It is all around me. Why should we not be allowed to protect ourselves? If and when confronted by an idiot pointing a gun at you and indicating that he is going to kill you, what do you plan on doing - talk nicely to him and tell him to pretty please not to shoot you? My option is to have a my hand on a gun and make him regret that he ever saw me.
03-12-2009 07:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.