Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Auburn to pay ASU 1 million
Bookmark and Share
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
Auburn to pay ASU 1 million
ASU just signed a contract to play Auburn next year for 1 million. We also renewed our series with Memphis for 2012 and 2013. That means we will have home games against Louisville in 2010, Memphis in 2011(game already schedule) and Memphis again in 2012.

LINK: http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_a...915.125094
03-05-2009 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: Auburn to pay ASU 1 million
(03-05-2009 09:50 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  ASU just signed a contract to play Auburn next year for 1 million. We also renewed our series with Memphis for 2012 and 2013. That means we will have home games against Louisville in 2010, Memphis in 2011(game already schedule) and Memphis again in 2012.

LINK: http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_a...915.125094

03-hissyfit They hates us!!! 03-hissyfit
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2009 10:18 PM by TroyFootball05.)
03-05-2009 10:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

How do you think we feel. Arkansas gave ULM a home game in Little Rock twice and let it count toward there attendance. They play Troy also and still won't play us in any sport.
03-05-2009 10:27 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(03-05-2009 10:27 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  How do you think we feel. Arkansas gave ULM a home game in Little Rock twice and let it count toward there attendance. They play Troy also and still won't play us in any sport.

yeah, I feel ya. I thought they played you guys a few years back. I remember reading about it on their boards. They said because you guys beat us, we had no chance and they beat you guys in 2006 like 44-10? We still lost thought, hung in tehre at the half trailing, 21-13.
03-05-2009 10:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

Never played them in football. Our womens basketball team beat them in the NIT a few years back. Our mens basketball team lost to them in OT a long time ago. No football game has ever been played before.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2009 10:42 PM by statefanatic.)
03-05-2009 10:42 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(03-05-2009 10:42 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  Never played them in football. Our womens basketball team beat them in the NIT a few years back. Our mens basketball team lost to them in OT a long time ago. No football game has ever been played before.

huh, intersting. Well that sucks they won't play you guys.
03-05-2009 10:54 PM
Advertisement

Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
yeah, we have the exact same problem.
03-05-2009 11:32 PM
WKUSledgeHammer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Western KY
Congrats! Good for the Sun Belt. You think the Loserville Crapinals would ever play football at WKU? LOL! No, because you need balls to play football.
03-06-2009 01:38 AM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy
Well, at least Auburn is trying to play more I-A teams! :) I'll bet that soon the Plainsmen will have played every 'Belt team but Troy.
03-06-2009 08:46 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
i'll second that bet Bob.

I'm glad stAte is getting a nice chunck of change for this one, now go beat them! have your cake and eat it too.
03-06-2009 09:19 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
The Florida Schools dont seem to have this attitude.

I know that both FAU and FIU have either played or had offers to play from every other state university that has football.

The only exception to this seems to be that UCF wont schedule or talk about scheduleing FAU anymore for some reason. But we did play them when we were FCS. We did almost beat them which maybe is why, but I dont know for certain.

It does seem to be rampant in the "deep" southern states.
03-06-2009 10:43 AM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(03-06-2009 10:43 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  The Florida Schools dont seem to have this attitude.

I know that both FAU and FIU have either played or had offers to play from every other state university that has football.

The only exception to this seems to be that UCF wont schedule or talk about scheduleing FAU anymore for some reason. But we did play them when we were FCS. We did almost beat them which maybe is why, but I dont know for certain.

It does seem to be rampant in the "deep" southern states.

I don't think we're scared of playing FAU. We signed a series with FIU because we want exposure in Miami, not in Boca; plus we had never played FIU before. Our scheduling philosophy generally is 2 x BCS, 1 x Non-AQ, 1 x 1-AA. Already having series with Buffalo and then FIU, it's hard to put FAU back on the schedule.

And this is rampant in Florida; don't pretend that UCF is somehow the only practitioner. UF won't leave Gainesville for anyone but FSU and occasionally Miami. And FSU the same until they shockingly agreed to play USF in Tampa. FSU also has not played UCF since we were in 1-AA and has never played FAU/FIU. And Miami has never played FAU, while UF has never played FIU or USF. USF is scheduled for a one game @ Gainesville in two years though. And, of course, USF only agreed to play UCF because their alternative was to pay CUSA $5 million in exit fees; and of course they won't renew the series now even though it was among their best attended games.
03-06-2009 11:52 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

Arkansas has a policy of not playing any in state school in any sport. No UALR, ASU, UCA, ect... If they find out any state team is in a tourny they back out of the tourny. The only reason our womens basketball team played them is because they thought MISS STATE would knock us out of the NIT before they got to us. It was the largest crowd to ever watch a women basketball game in the state of Arkansas. We sold out the Convo.
03-06-2009 12:03 PM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

Speaking of UCF, one of its best attended games was always Troy (40,000 people going back to the I-AA and even D-II days). We had quite a rivalry going, fueled by A-Sun competition. Then, after many years, Troy was supposed to host UCF several years ago. UCF pulled out of that one and we never got together again.

That is a shame.

Whether UCF comes to "Miami" (FIU is not in Miami but the same county), or Boca Raton (actually Fort Lauderdale for the football game) means nothing as far as recruits and media attention is concerned. They are essentially the same media place. Fort Lauderdale is in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale media market. Boca Raton, of course, is in the Palm Beach market, but gets a good bit of coverage further south.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2009 02:33 PM by BMarkey.)
03-06-2009 12:17 PM
OwlFamily Offline

(03-06-2009 11:52 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  I don't think we're scared of playing FAU. We signed a series with FIU because we want exposure in Miami, not in Boca; plus we had never played FIU before. Our scheduling philosophy generally is 2 x BCS, 1 x Non-AQ, 1 x 1-AA. Already having series with Buffalo and then FIU, it's hard to put FAU back on the schedule.

And this is rampant in Florida; don't pretend that UCF is somehow the only practitioner. UF won't leave Gainesville for anyone but FSU and occasionally Miami. And FSU the same until they shockingly agreed to play USF in Tampa. FSU also has not played UCF since we were in 1-AA and has never played FAU/FIU. And Miami has never played FAU, while UF has never played FIU or USF. USF is scheduled for a one game @ Gainesville in two years though. And, of course, USF only agreed to play UCF because their alternative was to pay CUSA $5 million in exit fees; and of course they won't renew the series now even though it was among their best attended games.

Wasnt trying to imply that UCF was the lone in this. Sorry if it came out that way. I just had my experience with UCF and its dealings with FAU.

Miami did offer a game to FAU but the payout wasnt what our AD wanted from them, so we got South Carolina this year. According to HS FSU is in talks with FAU but nothing has come up yet.

Im not expecting 1 and 1's with the big boys yet or even for the forseeable future. The Alabama/Arkansas "big" teams wont even schedule the Mid-Majors in thier own states it seems.

The Florida schools at least seem willing to talk about games and even schedule (FAU plyaed Florida 2 years ago and they are on FIU's schedule this year)

I really hope that UCF/FAU could get going. I think the game would be well travelled by both sides at both locations.
03-06-2009 12:28 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

(03-06-2009 12:17 PM)BMarkey Wrote:  Speaking of UCF, one of its best attended games was always Troy (40,000 people going back to the I-AA and even D-II days). We had quite a rivalry going, fueled by A-Sun competition. Then, after many years, Troy was supposed to host UCF several years ago. UCF pulled out of that one and we never got together again.

That is a shame.

Whether UCF comes to "Miami" (FIU is not in Miami but the same county), or Boca Raton (actually Fort lauderdale for the football game) means nothing as far as recruits and media attention is concerned. They are essentially the same media place. Fort Lauderdale is in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale media market. Boca Raton, of course, is in the Palm Beach market, but gets a good bit of coverage further south.

UMiami's not in "Miami" either; that doesn't change the fact that it's Miami. And there does appear to be a difference between playing FIU and FAU. It's about the players that come to the game to watch your team. A lot of the kids in Miami won't/can't drive to FTL for a game against FAU, but the FIU game is a lot closer, so they're more likely to show up. Miami-Dade County is where we're targeting for some key athletes. We've done ok in Broward and Palm Beach Counties, but our focus seems to be more and more on Miami-Dade County. FIU gets you into the heart of Miami-Dade County; FAU doesn't.

Also, I'd be happy to get a game up with Troy. It'd be preferable to playing Buffalo for sure.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2009 02:07 PM by CitrusUCF.)
03-06-2009 01:58 PM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

(03-06-2009 12:03 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  Arkansas has a policy of not playing any in state school in any sport. No UALR, ASU, UCA, ect... If they find out any state team is in a tourny they back out of the tourny. The only reason our womens basketball team played them is because they thought MISS STATE would knock us out of the NIT before they got to us. It was the largest crowd to ever watch a women basketball game in the state of Arkansas. We sold out the Convo.

Having lived in Arkansas, their position seems to be that everyone in the state is a Hog fan, even if they're also a stAte, UALR, UCA etc. fan. By playing those schools, they help to legitimize them so the reasoning goes; and the legitimization of the schools will then help their fan bases grow, which could potentially cost the Hogs fans.
03-06-2009 02:00 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

(03-06-2009 12:28 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(03-06-2009 11:52 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  I don't think we're scared of playing FAU. We signed a series with FIU because we want exposure in Miami, not in Boca; plus we had never played FIU before. Our scheduling philosophy generally is 2 x BCS, 1 x Non-AQ, 1 x 1-AA. Already having series with Buffalo and then FIU, it's hard to put FAU back on the schedule.

Wasnt trying to imply that UCF was the lone in this. Sorry if it came out that way. I just had my experience with UCF and its dealings with FAU.

Miami did offer a game to FAU but the payout wasnt what our AD wanted from them, so we got South Carolina this year. According to HS FSU is in talks with FAU but nothing has come up yet.

Im not expecting 1 and 1's with the big boys yet or even for the forseeable future. The Alabama/Arkansas "big" teams wont even schedule the Mid-Majors in thier own states it seems.

The Florida schools at least seem willing to talk about games and even schedule (FAU plyaed Florida 2 years ago and they are on FIU's schedule this year)

I really hope that UCF/FAU could get going. I think the game would be well travelled by both sides at both locations.

I think we will probably see a UCF-FAU series (probably 4 games) in the next decade or so. We're playing FIU, then we'll see where we stand with USF. If USF comes back on the schedule, I don't know that we'll be in a hurry to schedule another in-state series, but possibly. Otherwise, I wouldn't be shocked to see the same set-up as for FIU. Though as I said in the post above, I think our coaches see advantages in playing FIU that aren't as strong as playing FAU.

Frankly though, I think it's stupid for all the in-state schools to not play each other on even or near-even bases, much less not play at all. It keeps more money in the state. Back in the early 00s right after USF moved to 1-A, we wanted to get our series with them going, but they refused. What happened? We played @ Utah State and they played @ Utah, I think on the same weekend, sending a ton of money out of state instead of it being kept in the I-4 corridor. Absolutely nonsensical!

Ideally, I'd like to see UCF-USF every year, with FAU and FIU rotating on our schedule otherwise. 2 in-state games for each team makes lot of sense because of the $$$ (both made and saved), fan interest, media interest etc.
03-06-2009 02:06 PM
OwlFamily Offline

(03-06-2009 02:06 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(03-06-2009 12:28 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  

I think we will probably see a UCF-FAU series (probably 4 games) in the next decade or so. We're playing FIU, then we'll see where we stand with USF. If USF comes back on the schedule, I don't know that we'll be in a hurry to schedule another in-state series, but possibly. Otherwise, I wouldn't be shocked to see the same set-up as for FIU. Though as I said in the post above, I think our coaches see advantages in playing FIU that aren't as strong as playing FAU.

Frankly though, I think it's stupid for all the in-state schools to not play each other on even or near-even bases, much less not play at all. It keeps more money in the state. Back in the early 00s right after USF moved to 1-A, we wanted to get our series with them going, but they refused. What happened? We played @ Utah State and they played @ Utah, I think on the same weekend, sending a ton of money out of state instead of it being kept in the I-4 corridor. Absolutely nonsensical!

Ideally, I'd like to see UCF-USF every year, with FAU and FIU rotating on our schedule otherwise. 2 in-state games for each team makes lot of sense because of the $$$ (both made and saved), fan interest, media interest etc.
i

I agree whole heartedly with the bolded statment. In the economic envioroment were in right now it makes sense for all the Florida schools ( indeed ALL state institutions) to play each other to save on Travel costs and increase fan base.

I still think an All-Florida confrence would be sweet but we all know its not going to happen. think about having minimal travel costs for any of your confrence games.04-jawdrop

FAU
FSU
FIU
UCF
UF
UM
USF
FAMU (Not FBS, But could be if they wanted too, or insert lower GA/Bama School here)
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2009 02:18 PM by OwlFamily.)
03-06-2009 02:14 PM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

Oddly enough, some Miami-Dade recruits would find it a shorter drive to Lockhart than to FIU, which is way, way down there (I thought I was near the Keys last weekend when I went for a hoops game!).

FAU plays at least one game a year at Dolphin Stadium, which I'm sure the recruits would enjoy visiting.
03-06-2009 02:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.