Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stevie not making trip to North Texas
Bookmark and Share
RBL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Little Rock
Stevie not making trip to North Texas
Per UALR website:

"UALR head men’s basketball coach Steve Shields has decided to leave junior guard Steven Moore behind when the Trojans head to Denton, Texas this afternoon. Moore walked off the court midway through the first half of Thursday’s loss to Western Kentucky, going to the locker room before taking a seat in the stands."
02-20-2009 05:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RBL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Little Rock
RE: Stevie not making trip to North Texas
Additional from the website:

“In my 20 years as a coach I have never had a player leave the bench during a game,” said Shields. “Had I known he went and sat in the stands during the first half, he would not have had the opportunity to come back to the bench in the second half. As I told the team last night in the locker room, I regret putting Steve back in the game.
02-20-2009 05:56 PM
Dr. J. Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR
(02-20-2009 05:56 PM)RBL Wrote:  Additional from the website:

“In my 20 years as a coach I have never had a player leave the bench during a game,” said Shields. “Had I known he went and sat in the stands during the first half, he would not have had the opportunity to come back to the bench in the second half. As I told the team last night in the locker room, I regret putting Steve back in the game.

Now we know about Stevie. But where was Chastity when I was 20 years old. Actually all the girls I knew were named Chastity. At least I think that was their names.03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
02-20-2009 05:59 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

Shields may regret the whole situation...you better believe it will be used during recruiting. There is a good chewing out then there is losing composure and going nuclear.
02-20-2009 06:25 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(02-20-2009 06:25 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  

Shields may regret the whole situation...you better believe it will be used during recruiting. There is a good chewing out then there is losing composure and going nuclear.

What the hell are you talking about? Coaches get in players faces all the time and dress them down. There was absolutely no excuse for what Moore did. None. End of story.

Don't even try to lay this fiasco on Coach Shields doorstep. If some recruit thinks that what Moore did had any justification under any circumstances, I don't want him anywhere near our program. And I don't give a damn what kind of talent he might have. He'd probably have the same character, or lack thereof, as Moore. Nothing but trouble.
02-20-2009 06:36 PM
Ynocpirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UALR Trojans
What the hell are you talking about? Coaches get in players faces all the time and dress them down. There was absolutely no excuse for what Moore did. None. End of story.

Don't even try to lay this fiasco on Coach Shields doorstep. If some recruit thinks that what Moore did had any justification under any circumstances, I don't want him anywhere near our program. And I don't give a damn what kind of talent he might have. He'd probably have the same character, or lack thereof, as Moore. Nothing but trouble.
[/quote]

+1. Stevie is lucky to have a surrogate father like Steve. Hopefully, Coach's influence will help keep Stevie out of prison some day.
02-20-2009 06:49 PM
Advertisement

LR Alum Offline
1st String

(02-20-2009 06:49 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  What the hell are you talking about? Coaches get in players faces all the time and dress them down. There was absolutely no excuse for what Moore did. None. End of story.

+1. Stevie is lucky to have a surrogate father like Steve. Hopefully, Coach's influence will help keep Stevie out of prison some day.
[/quote]

You have your opinion and I have mine.
02-20-2009 06:51 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I agree that it was inappropriate having been there. But, I can't imagine it will have any effect on recruiting. What's a recruit going to hear- "the coach yelled at someone". Probably not the first coach to do so.
02-20-2009 06:52 PM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
(02-20-2009 06:52 PM)mjs Wrote:  

I agree that it was inappropriate having been there. But, I can't imagine it will have any effect on recruiting. What's a recruit going to hear- "the coach yelled at someone". Probably not the first coach to do so.

If I were a recruit, I'd be wondering what was wrong with Moore, not Shields.
02-20-2009 06:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LR Alum Offline
1st String

(02-20-2009 06:54 PM)Robert C Wrote:  
(02-20-2009 06:52 PM)mjs Wrote:  

If I were a recruit, I'd be wondering what was wrong with Moore, not Shields.

Then that will make it a positive situation.
02-20-2009 06:57 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Stevie not going to NTU is a no-brainer. The question is whether or not he will continue on the team.
02-20-2009 07:12 PM
Advertisement

LR Alum Offline
1st String

(02-20-2009 06:49 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  What the hell are you talking about? Coaches get in players faces all the time and dress them down. There was absolutely no excuse for what Moore did. None. End of story.

[/quote]

Well I guess Steve can be a surrogate father to McBride (one of our recruits) who walk out on his team. Yes Moore was wrong and should have been discipline. But Shields was wrong too. I know you are a Shields defender and probably don't think there is something wrong with a coach getting in a players face in front of a crowd.
02-20-2009 07:13 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2009 07:13 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  

Well I guess Steve can be a surrogate father to McBride (one of our recruits) who walk out on his team. Yes Moore was wrong and should have been discipline. But Shields was wrong too. I know you are a Shields defender and probably don't think there is something wrong with a coach getting in a players face in front of a crowd.
[/quote]

LRAlum, I really appreciate your input on this board. I haven't met you but you seem extremely knowledge about college basketball- alot more than most us couch potatoes on this board. I certainly didn't think the coach's behavior was appropriate. I've never been a competive athlete (and I realize that changes things somewhat), but I can assure you I would have "walked" if I was treated that way as a 20 year old.
02-20-2009 07:26 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(02-20-2009 07:13 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  probably don't think there is something wrong with a coach getting in a players face in front of a crowd.

It can be out of line. Coaches have no business demeaning players, but chewings out are a part of the game, and it is impossible to do it privately at the time. If the coach is bad enough out of line, the player has the option of walking, but I would think that if you walked out of a game you would have to be prepared to leave the team, if the coach's behavior was enough out of line that you no longer cared to play for him.
02-20-2009 07:27 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

(02-20-2009 07:26 PM)mjs Wrote:  

LRAlum, I really appreciate your input on this board. I haven't met you but you seem extremely knowledge about college basketball- alot more than most us couch potatoes on this board. I certainly didn't think the coach's behavior was appropriate. I've never been a competive athlete (and I realize that changes things somewhat), but I can assure you I would have "walked" if I was treated that way as a 20 year old.
[/quote]

That is all I'm trying to say. Alot of folks are putting alot of blame on Moore like he is a thug. Yes Moore can be selfish like almost alot of good athletes (including every sport not just basketball) but it takes a good coach to know how to handle certain situations. I just don' think Shields handle last night situation good. And if Shields wants to get to a bigger program he is going to have to learn how to control his temper.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2009 07:32 PM by LR Alum.)
02-20-2009 07:31 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

I guess I am a little upset too about what Shields said about as being a coach a player has never walk off but yet he has signed a player that has walk off. That is a double standard and being a hypocrite. I guess that statement made my respect for Shields drop a notch.
02-20-2009 07:35 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
[/quote]

MJS, its a good thing you were never a Division I athlete as you would have been required to "walk" at some point. Hopefully you wouldn't have been in the middle of a very important game to your team when you chose to do so. You act like a team is some sort of Democracy. It is not. The coach is the word, the only word, and you do what you are told to do in games, and if you don't, or question the coach, you are going to get the boom lowered on you. If you got a problem with that, then join the French Club or something.

To believe that Moore was even remotely justified in his actions last night, is putting standards on athletics that may apply to other situations, but not in athletics. Moore embarrassed our program last night, and as talented as he is, we're better off if he's played his last minute as a Trojan.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2009 07:45 PM by PTJR.)
02-20-2009 07:43 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2009 06:36 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

Totally agree with that statement.
02-20-2009 07:49 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2009 07:43 PM)PTJR Wrote:  LRAlum, I really appreciate your input on this board. I haven't met you but you seem extremely knowledge about college basketball- alot more than most us couch potatoes on this board. I certainly didn't think the coach's behavior was appropriate. I've never been a competive athlete (and I realize that changes things somewhat), but I can assure you I would have "walked" if I was treated that way as a 20 year old.

MJS, its a good thing you were never a Division I athlete as you would have been required to "walk" at some point. Hopefully you wouldn't have been in the middle of a very important game to your team when you chose to do so. You act like a team is some sort of Democracy. It is not. The coach is the word, the only word, and you do what you are told to do in games, and if you don't, or question the coach, you are going to get the boom lowered on you. If you got a problem with that, then join the French Club or something.

To believe that Moore was even remotely justified in his actions last night, is putting standards on athletics that may apply to other situations, but not in athletics. Moore embarrassed our program last night, and as talented as he is, we're better off if he's played his last minute as a Trojan.
[/quote]

Your right. I couldn't have made it as a DI athlete. Probably wouldn't have done real well in the army either.
02-20-2009 08:18 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

Well I guess Steve can be a surrogate father to McBride (one of our recruits) who walk out on his team. Yes Moore was wrong and should have been discipline. But Shields was wrong too. I know you are a Shields defender and probably don't think there is something wrong with a coach getting in a players face in front of a crowd.[/quote]

Alum, while I like Steve Shields a lot, you know I'm not generally known as a Shields defender, and I think ALL the blame for that situation is laid on Stevie's back. Most anyone who has ever played competitive sports has had to endure a good ass chewing a time or two during a ball game.
02-20-2009 08:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.