Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FIU vs. Troy Men's Basketball Photos • Feb. 19, 2009
Bookmark and Share
BMarkey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy
FIU vs. Troy Men's Basketball Photos • Feb. 19, 2009
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2009 02:15 AM by BMarkey.)
02-20-2009 01:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: FIU vs. Troy Men's Basketball Photos • Feb. 19, 2009
Links aren't working for me?
02-20-2009 01:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

I Root For: FIU
HOW YOU LIKE DEM APPLES.... lol. Jpjp awesome game.
02-20-2009 04:00 AM
stebo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
(02-20-2009 04:00 AM)posterchild Wrote:  HOW YOU LIKE DEM APPLES.... lol. Jpjp awesome game.

Was this game closed to the public? I see maybe 15 people in the stands.
02-20-2009 09:32 AM
Advertisement

BMarkey Offline
1st String

I was there and was really shocked at the small turnout. I counted less than 40 people in the stands (there were more players and cheerleaders than spectators) when the game began. However, people continued to come in and there were probably 400 or so there later.

FIU folks missed what I consider one of the most exciting games in years.

That arena looks very impressive from the outside, but very small inside. It was a small level of seats courtside and then a top section of much larger retractable wooden bleachers above on the upper level. They can be rolled backward to create a much larger seating capacity. Between the levels is some sort of running track.

I also checked out the FIU football stadium. It is impressive, especially with the huge fieldhouse or whatever it is being built in one of the endzones. The stadium really does need a facade to cover the ugly erector set look, though. I assume that would be in the final phase.
02-20-2009 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

Yeah, there's no way to get to FIU for a 7 p.m. tip off on a weekday. Plus with the teams record, it's not motivating the on-campus students. The lower bowl seats about 2,000. You are correct that the facade will be built as the last phase of the stadium as part of the Student Center which will double as the "front" of the Stadium.
02-20-2009 09:58 AM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

With some people in it, that arena could become a loud, tough place to play. the campus is very impressive looking.

I did see the traffic nearby. Some of it was murder. That is a long drive from the West Palm Beach area. :)

(02-20-2009 09:58 AM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  Yeah, there's no way to get to FIU for a 7 p.m. tip off on a weekday. Plus with the teams record, it's not motivating the on-campus students. The lower bowl seats about 2,000. You are correct that the facade will be built as the last phase of the stadium as part of the Student Center which will double as the "front" of the Stadium.
02-20-2009 10:06 AM
Advertisement

FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

Yeah, the place can get loud with anything over 1,000 people there. The day that Michigan came in the place was sold out and it was amazing, couldn't hear yourself think and ofcourse, we won! It's impossible getting there by 7 p.m. You have to leave work from Downtown by 5/5:30 p.m. in order to be there in time.

(02-20-2009 10:06 AM)BMarkey Wrote:  With some people in it, that arena could become a loud, tough place to play. the campus is very impressive looking.

I did see the traffic nearby. Some of it was murder. That is a long drive from the West Palm Beach area. :)

(02-20-2009 09:58 AM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  Yeah, there's no way to get to FIU for a 7 p.m. tip off on a weekday. Plus with the teams record, it's not motivating the on-campus students. The lower bowl seats about 2,000. You are correct that the facade will be built as the last phase of the stadium as part of the Student Center which will double as the "front" of the Stadium.
02-20-2009 10:36 AM
posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

What ticks me off about the team this year is just the amount of injuries we have had to play through. We could have been pretty good with the guys we had coming in/back.
02-20-2009 11:38 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(02-20-2009 11:38 AM)posterchild Wrote:  What ticks me off about the team this year is just the amount of injuries we have had to play through. We could have been pretty good with the guys we had coming in/back.

Who does FIU lose next season? If they get the majority of their guys back, they'll be extremely good.
02-20-2009 03:23 PM
Advertisement

FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

We lose Galindo and Hicks, both of which hurt. Ofcourse, you could say that we would still have a pretty good team considering that we have 2 pretty good SF recruits coming in. The real big question is whether Coach Rouco will be back. If he's not it will be a long season, you can kiss Asprilla and Souto goodbye in that case.

(02-20-2009 03:23 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-20-2009 11:38 AM)posterchild Wrote:  What ticks me off about the team this year is just the amount of injuries we have had to play through. We could have been pretty good with the guys we had coming in/back.

Who does FIU lose next season? If they get the majority of their guys back, they'll be extremely good.
02-20-2009 04:08 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
(02-20-2009 09:53 AM)BMarkey Wrote:  That arena looks very impressive from the outside, but very small inside. It was a small level of seats courtside and then a top section of much larger retractable wooden bleachers above on the upper level. They can be rolled backward to create a much larger seating capacity. Between the levels is some sort of running track.

Sometime when we play FIU and FAU both in the same week I want to come down and see both games. Both arenas look fairly small, it would be like practically coutside anywhere you sat! That would be a pretty cool trip.
02-20-2009 06:43 PM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

FAU's recently renovated arena is fairly large by SunBelt standards (maybe 5,000 to 6,000). It now has chairback seats everywhere, seating behind the goals, nice concession area, FAU gear store, neat murals, and now even nice "skyboxes".

Troy's arena (for all its mentioned shortcomings) looks pretty decent on TV last week.
02-20-2009 07:54 PM
BMarkey Offline
1st String

Few more pictures, for those who don't want to click through to the links ... In some, you can see the upper level of the bleachers that can be rolled back for much more seating.

[Image: img_1786_std.jpg]

[Image: img_1779_std.jpg]

[Image: img_1798_std.jpg]

[Image: img_1727_std.jpg]

[Image: img_1845_std.jpg]

[Image: img_1876_crop_std.jpg]

[Image: img_1887_crop_std.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2009 08:01 PM by BMarkey.)
02-20-2009 08:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.