Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Biggest Conference win?
Bookmark and Share
clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
Biggest Conference win?
Hey guys what do you guys feel is the biggest win within the Sunbelt conference?

For UL I believe it was this last year against Arkansas State. We had to play through a lot of adversity in that game because we were down our starting QB and had to come from behind to win.
02-14-2009 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
RE: Biggest Conference win?
that's easy. for Troy, it was the Miracle in Murphreesburo in 2006. Down by two scores, Omar Haugabook led the Trojans down the field for a TD. we kicked an onside, recovered, and Omar led us to a second TD with just moments left on the clock. Smokey Hampton made the famous catch that ended with him landing on his head as he came down with it during this drive. He came down perfectly upright and the way he landed, i thought he had broke his neck. it was the most exciting end to a game i have ever seen.

the MUTS student section was prepared to rush the field, needless to say they were a bit unhappy with our last second comeback. they were less than polite...to EVERYONE wearing cardinal, especially our band.

the win sent us to the New Orleans Bowl, where we proceeded to destroy Rice 41-17. FWIW, the game was not as close as the score indicated. We demolished them. Talk about a great night on Bourbon St. 04-cheers02-13-banana04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2009 02:10 PM by Burn the Horse.)
02-14-2009 02:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
We've only got one conference win. 03-hissyfit
02-14-2009 02:14 PM
clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
(02-14-2009 02:14 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  We've only got one conference win. 03-hissyfit

I have not seen WKU fail at much so I am going to say that you will see a lot more wins in the future.
02-14-2009 02:18 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

don't worry, Western Kentucky will get plenty of conference wins in the very near future. I'm expecting a lot out of the Hilltoppers, in fact, i expect yall to compete for the title inside 3 years.
02-14-2009 02:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(02-14-2009 02:14 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  We've only got one conference win. 03-hissyfit

Technically, we don't have any conference wins/losses yet because we don't become a football member of the Sunbelt until this fall. Nevertheless, it is nice to know that the 1A win we did get in the two years of transition was against the MUTS. 02-13-banana
02-14-2009 02:22 PM
Advertisement

Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(02-14-2009 02:22 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

Technically, we don't have any conference wins/losses yet because we don't become a football member of the Sunbelt until this fall. Nevertheless, it is nice to know that the 1A win we did get in the two years of transition was against the MUTS. 02-13-banana

You couldn't have picked a better team for your first 1-A win.
02-14-2009 03:06 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
(02-14-2009 03:06 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  
(02-14-2009 02:22 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

You couldn't have picked a better team for your first 1-A win.

Always a fun win...I remember the group of MUTS students last year that decided to come over to our section and cuss at us. They left pretty soon.
02-14-2009 04:24 PM
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
IMHO for North Texas it was the 2001 last minute 22-20 win vs New Mexico State that is referred to by many as "The Miracle In The Desert". Believe that Middle Tennesse fans stayed to listen to a broadcast and cheer the Aggies on after a game at their stadium in what appeared to be the win that would put the Muts into the New Orleans Bowl. North Texas snached a sure win away from the Aggies with a fumble recovery and then scored on a TD pass just before the final gun.
02-14-2009 04:52 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
last game of the year in 2005, we beat NT to win the conf. and go to NO BOWL
02-15-2009 04:15 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(02-14-2009 04:52 PM)MeanGreen61 Wrote:  IMHO for North Texas it was the 2001 last minute 22-20 win vs New Mexico State that is referred to by many as "The Miracle In The Desert". Believe that Middle Tennesse fans stayed to listen to a broadcast and cheer the Aggies on after a game at their stadium in what appeared to be the win that would put the Muts into the New Orleans Bowl. North Texas snached a sure win away from the Aggies with a fumble recovery and then scored on a TD pass just before the final gun.

I'd go with the 2001 win over Middle that started the 26 game conference streak. Rumor has it that had we lost, our coach would have been fired the following Monday. Middle was a heavy favorite with a great record, averaging over 550 yards of offense per game, and we held them under 300, the first time anyone had done it that season.

Scoring that upset against a very talented MTSU team... That changed the trajectory for us midseason and turned out to be the launch pad for the single most dominating run the conference has ever seen (and very likely will ever see again).
02-15-2009 04:29 PM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
Seems like everybody likes beating MTSU. 03-nutkick
02-15-2009 04:41 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
(02-15-2009 04:29 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  
(02-14-2009 04:52 PM)MeanGreen61 Wrote:  IMHO for North Texas it was the 2001 last minute 22-20 win vs New Mexico State that is referred to by many as "The Miracle In The Desert". Believe that Middle Tennesse fans stayed to listen to a broadcast and cheer the Aggies on after a game at their stadium in what appeared to be the win that would put the Muts into the New Orleans Bowl. North Texas snached a sure win away from the Aggies with a fumble recovery and then scored on a TD pass just before the final gun.

I'd go with the 2001 win over Middle that started the 26 game conference streak. Rumor has it that had we lost, our coach would have been fired the following Monday. Middle was a heavy favorite with a great record, averaging over 550 yards of offense per game, and we held them under 300, the first time anyone had done it that season.

Scoring that upset against a very talented MTSU team... That changed the trajectory for us midseason and turned out to be the launch pad for the single most dominating run the conference has ever seen (and very likely will ever see again).

That is a little presumptuous...
02-15-2009 05:12 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(02-15-2009 05:12 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  
(02-15-2009 04:29 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  

That is a little presumptuous...

Not a knock on anyone, just saying that a 26 game conference streak is a very rare run. It could be a long, long time before something like that happens again, if ever. I don't think we've ever had another team in the league get through ONE year undefeated, much less four seasons worth of games.
02-15-2009 05:15 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

the conference has also improved greatly in recent years. someone would have to be that much better to match the success UNT showed. we'll see if someone can distance themselves from the pack soon, i think Troy is on par to do so in the future.

still, i respect what the Mean Green did. it was certainly impressive.
02-15-2009 05:51 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(02-15-2009 05:51 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  the conference has also improved greatly in recent years. someone would have to be that much better to match the success UNT showed. we'll see if someone can distance themselves from the pack soon, i think Troy is on par to do so in the future.

still, i respect what the Mean Green did. it was certainly impressive.

I think that the biggest improvement that the conference has made has been due to other schools (as in, NOT North Texas, we still suck at this) securing favorable contracts that guarantee home games against BCS opponents.

There was so much debate over the 'dramatically improved Sun Belt' hypothesis over in North Texas land that we did a big analysis of OOC vs. BCS and non-BCS 1-A teams for our old website. Ultimately, the single best year for the conference in terms of total OOC success was and still remains 2002.

The best year against BCS teams was 2007, but the biggest reason for that (in my opinion) was how successful the leadership at Troy in particular has been at getting big teams on your own turf. I certainly don't mean that as a way of 'diminishing' the wins, because wins like that are exactly what the conference needs to improve the national perception. And beating a team like Oklahoma State or Missouri is a big damn deal, whether you do it at home, on the road, or on Mars. Hats off, for sure. But you have to grant that it's easier to get a big win like that against a name opponent when your leadership is able to schedule the game in front of your own screaming, rabid fans as opposed to trying to do it in BCS land.

To illustrate the point... From 2002-2006, Sun Belt teams hosted BCS teams in their own stadiums (not neutral site) five times. The record for Belt teams in those games was 2-3.

In 2007 and 2008 (up to the point where we did the analysis, though I don't think there were any more BCS-at-Belt games scheduled after that) SBC teams hosted BCS teams five times. The Belt record in those games was... 2-3.

Please don't think that the purpose of this is to try and tear down the very real success that Troy and FAU in particular have enjoyed recently... We did this project as a way of getting our own fans to shut up and quit making lame excuses for our own disastrous falloff. I have a lot of respect for the Trojans and Owls programs, and I think you guys will continue to grow and improve both on the field and in the realm of public recognition. I hope that the leadership at North Texas can get the football program put back together so we can start competing with you guys again, sooner than later.

I think the Belt is indeed better on the field that we used to be, but I don't think it's that big an improvement in on-field product. I think the real improvement has been in how many Belt teams are being run. The impressive job that schools like Troy have done in getting big names at home has dramatically improved the prospects for big wins. The "don't take a paycheck game for less than $1 Million" policy will help us avoid another extended run where we're seen as a minor league conference where "real" schools go to schedule tune-up games.

The Belt is improving on the field and in reputation. But I don't think that the "great" improvement has been on the field. I think the great improvement has been in taking huge strides to level the playing field. The quality has always been there. Now the conference just gets a chance to prove it more often.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2009 06:38 PM by thetastygreek.)
02-15-2009 06:37 PM
Advertisement

statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
I will disagree with you and say that the belt has improved on the field. Teams in the belt are hanging with BCS teams now at home and on the road. Their are far less blowout game than 3 years ago. ULL hung with 2 BCS teams last year, TROY was beating LSU in th 4th quarter and hung with Ohio st., ASU beat Texas A&M on the road and MTSU beat Maryland.

The on field play is light years ahead of what it was 4 years ago. The belt is starting to become fun to watch and I look forward to the upcoming season. the addition of WKU will add to the strength of the belt.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2009 08:02 PM by statefanatic.)
02-15-2009 08:00 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

(02-15-2009 08:00 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  I will disagree with you and say that the belt has improved on the field. Teams in the belt are hanging with BCS teams now at home and on the road. Their are far less blowout game than 3 years ago. ULL hung with 2 BCS teams last year, TROY was beating LSU in th 4th quarter and hung with Ohio st., ASU beat Texas A&M on the road and MTSU beat Maryland.

The on field play is light years ahead of what it was 4 years ago. The belt is starting to become fun to watch and I look forward to the upcoming season. the addition of WKU will add to the strength of the belt.

I'm a big believer in Belt football, And I'm not saying that the on-field product isn't improving. Heck, it'd make my life a lot easier as a North Texas fan if I could just believe that the rest of the conference took a tremendous leap forward and that's why we're getting stomped on a weekly basis.

But I just don't see it. I'd be a much bigger believer in a Dramatically Improved Sun Belt if the conference had come out of last season with more than three collective wins against teams with winning records. Other than MTSU over Maryland (a win which happened at MTSU) and FAU's bowl win over Central Michigan, the only other Belt win over a team with a winning record was ULM over Troy.

Three wins combined for all of us, and the three wins were all against 8 win squads. Not exactly a dominating league performance, to say the least.

As for the almost-did-it stuff... That's the sort of thing that everyone forgets years later. We all remember Troy's close call against LSU, but few people remember North Texas losing by 6 points to what would wind up being a 10-2 TCU team and then by 5 points against Arizona in consecutive weeks. That same season, Middle beat Vandy and lost to what would wind up being a 10-3 Alabama team by just 5 points. Again.. same season, Utah State jumps out to a 34-7 halftime lead over BYU, but winds up losing by 1 point.

Nobody remembers these games once the next season gets underway. Just like 3 years from now, very few people outside of Lafayette will remember how well ULL hung in there in those two games, either. If you don't believe me, try to remember how well ULL fought against two BCS opponents like Texas A&M and Minnesota in 2002. The Cajuns held up pretty well back then, too, until depth got the better of them and they wore down in the 2nd half. A&M couldn't manage but a field goal in the first half, and Minnesota was only up by 5 points midway through the 3rd quarter. But in the end, ULL couldn't hang on.

As for 2008 being "light years ahead" vs. 4 years earlier... Just look at your own Wolves! I was cheering my ass off over you guys' huge, huge win over Texas A&M. It was the only thing I had to cheer about while I sat in a stadium in Manhattan and watched my own coach QUIT TRYING (by his own admission!!) against Kansas State after just two possessions. You guys getting that win made all of us look stronger, and it brought respect to the entire conference.

But if you want to talk about quality of the product on the field... Did you guys have a stronger performance when you won that game against a 4-8 A&M team (that I watched take a bare-assed spanking from Baylor b/c my girlfriend is a Baylor alum), or when you took on a bowl bound Mississippi team in 2004? Led them until more than halfway through the third quarter, only lost by 7 points (and that's just because they converted a 2-pointer in the 4th). Was the ASU team that played Mississippi in 2004 not playing on at least roughly the same level as the one that faced A&M in 2008?

I'm not selling anyone short here. The quality of the teams on the field from the Sun Belt is steadily improving every year. But to say that the Belt then was dramatically worse than it is now just isn't accurate, at least not in my opinion.

What's really exciting about right now is where the top teams of the moment came from and what their future might be. Troy and FAU are both seeing great success, are blessed with exceptional coaches and quality athletic leadership, and neither gives any indication that they haven't been 1-A for decades. Fans of both schools have a lot to be proud of and even more to be excited about, and I'm eager to see just how high they can take themselves.

But I don't believe that their recent teams are any better than Middle Tennessee's 2001 squad or the 2002 Mean Green. I don't think the middle-of-the-pack teams are any better than the New Mexico States of the past. And I don't think that the 2002 or 2003 Arkansas State teams that each finished with 7 losses would look out of place against a resurgent (and very impressive, not trying to take away from their growth, either) 5-7 Florida International team from this past season.

The Belt is getting better. The most important place it's happening is in the leadership that gets us out of the horrible contracts and bodybag games of the early 2000's. Every time Troy plays a Missouri or Oklahoma State in Troy, it puts the pressure on the leadership at schools like mine to stop accepting contracts that don't include a guaranteed return game. When Wright Waters (not trying to defend the guy, just citing one thing I don't think any of us can really complain about) tells the membership to stop taking paycheck games unless we're earning at least $1 Million, it puts pressure on us all to avoid the sort of carnage we saw in years past that schools had to accept in order to finance their programs. And when Middle Tennessee creates an OOC schedule like they had last season, it shows that it is indeed possible to have a slate of respectable BCS opponents that you can expect to compete with, no beatdown games against Top 5 opponents in sight. I forget who it was that has a schedule I'm very impressed by (and jealous of) for this season upcoming, but it may even be better than MTSU's 2008 OOC lineup.

That's the stuff that's really making us better. The teams on the field aren't light years ahead of where they used to be. They're just being put in position to show what they're really capable of... How talented they really are, instead of taking piddling checks to get blown out by Texas and Florida so they can keep the lights on in their offices.
02-16-2009 02:57 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

wow, write a book while your at it 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2009 09:11 AM by Burn the Horse.)
02-16-2009 09:11 AM
Grandgreen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(02-16-2009 09:11 AM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  wow, write a book while your at it 03-lmfao

Don't let logic get in the way of the "always improving Belt" theory. The Belt is certainly more competitive, but that does not mean it is significantly better. The records just do not support this theory. The Belt has got a few more signature wins primarily because they have been able to schedule more home games against name teams and have more teams. Obviously, having more conference games has improved the number of bowl eligible teams. The additions of FAU and Troy have improved Belt football but not to the level some seem to think.

There should to be a rule that anyone downplaying a 26 conference winning streak, should have to be a fan of a school that at least has gone through one year in the Belt undefeated.
02-16-2009 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.