East

1. WKY
2. MTSU
3. Troy
4. USA
5. Fla Atl
6. Fla Intl
7. Georgia State

The SBC Commisioner has said he doesn't want to expand beyond 10 schools for football.

WKU is a candidate for CUSA whenever realignment happens.
02-13-2009 12:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: the ideal SBC for the long haul
Why is 14 ideal?

And why is this on the MAC board?
02-13-2009 12:39 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
(02-13-2009 12:39 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Why is 14 ideal?

And why is this on the MAC board?

Because the MAC is somehow supposed to fear the growth of the Sun Belt when they are in CUSA's backyard
02-13-2009 12:50 PM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
Sun Belt has room to grow to 12 and have a Sun Belt title game in New Orleans like the MAC has in Detroit. I think who they add is a question mark. Right now they have FAU, FIU, Troy, Ul-lafayette, Ul-monroe, wku, mtsu, North Texas, and Arkansas State. South Alabama is coming soon as the 10th team. That means they will need two more. Georgia State would be a great match as that gives them Atlanta market which could lead to an Atlanta bowl later on. The 12th team could be La Tech which might decide the Sun Belt is for them as those trips to Hawaii get expensive every other year.
02-13-2009 01:54 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(02-13-2009 01:54 PM)OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:  Sun Belt has room to grow to 12 and have a Sun Belt title game in New Orleans like the MAC has in Detroit. I think who they add is a question mark. Right now they have FAU, FIU, Troy, Ul-lafayette, Ul-monroe, wku, mtsu, North Texas, and Arkansas State. South Alabama is coming soon as the 10th team. That means they will need two more. Georgia State would be a great match as that gives them Atlanta market which could lead to an Atlanta bowl later on. The 12th team could be La Tech which might decide the Sun Belt is for them as those trips to Hawaii get expensive every other year.

Some of the the SBC fans recently began using the NCAAbbs board for the SBC; I suspect this thread was posted on this board in error.

There is seriously bad blood between La Tech and the SBC; I do not ever see them returning to the SBC. Some of their fans have expressed a desire to be in the MAC should the WAC days ever end.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2009 02:27 PM by ManzanoWolf.)
02-13-2009 02:26 PM
Advertisement

MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-13-2009 12:31 PM)TopCoog Wrote:  West
1. UL-L
2. North Texas
3. UTSA
4. UL-M
5. Texas State
6. Arkansas State
7. Lamar

East

1. WKY
2. MTSU
3. Troy
4. USA
5. Fla Atl
6. Fla Intl
7. Georgia State

Pardon me 03-puke
02-13-2009 03:06 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
thanks for the input, it's great that MAC fans are interested in our conference. However, i would think SBC fans would have a better grasp of what our conference needs. Lamar is defintely not a program we are interested in.
02-13-2009 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
I think the best thing for the Sunbelt is to keep the group we have no together.

UL
ULM
WKU
Troy
MTSU
FAU
FIU
ASU
UNT

and adding South Alabama

I think if we keep this group together I think the growth in the conference will be huge. The ceiling for Sunbelt schools I believe is a lot higher than the teams in the MAC. We are all guilty of playing to many money games and I think that has been a reason for not getting as many OOC wins. Every team however seems to be getting more home games against BCS schools and in the long run that will pay off.

Maybe after South Alabama is added a move can be made to get 2 more teams and a championship game but as of right now I think the belt is good where it is.
02-13-2009 03:42 PM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
14 is not good. 12 is not good. The SBC cannot support a championship game at this point.

My ideal situation would be to keep all football members, ASU, FAU, FIU, ULL, ULM, MTSU, UNT, USA, Troy, WKU, and grow. That gives us 10 teams, which for football could be a struggle, but for basketball would mean keeping 18 conference games and doing round-robin.

IF we find ourselves needing members, then I would look at Georgia State, App State, Missouri State, Texas State.
02-13-2009 04:44 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

very good assessment galojah. +1
02-13-2009 10:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Jacksonville State will be joining in all sports including football.
Write it down.

I have an inside source at JSU.

Rumblings I hear is adding football members WKU & USA.

That gives you 12 for football and a look for a Championship game played at the highest ranked team's home stadium. This deal will have the blessing of ESPN.

You will also be gaining an additional bowl sponsored by ESPN.

waive bye to Denver. Denver will be headed to the Summit League, with ORU, So Utah, South Dakota, etc.

More details as I get them.

Remember who you heard it from first.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2009 11:24 PM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
02-13-2009 11:13 PM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators
(02-13-2009 11:13 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Jacksonville State will be joining in all sports including football.
Write it down.

That gives you 12 for football and a look for a Championship game played at the highest ranked team's home stadium. This deal will have the blessing of ESPN.

waive bye to Denver.

Rumblings? WKU is already starting Sun Belt football this fall. USA has already announced and is starting football and the Sun Belt has alread accepted them. That only puts the Sun Belt at 10. The Sun Belt has no interest in going to twelve, and no interest in a conference championship.

As for Jacksonville State, they announced they were exploring football a little while ago and the Sun Belt went on record saying they were not interested, so not sure where Jacksonville State is going to move their football program to.

I wouldn't trust your source, if this is what they've given you. You could just as easily read the newspaper and get this material yourself.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2009 11:42 PM by galojah.)
02-13-2009 11:23 PM
MeanGreen61 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-13-2009 11:13 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Jacksonville State will be joining in all sports including football.
Write it down.

waive bye to Denver. Denver will be headed to the Summit League, with ORU, So Utah, South Dakota, etc.

Inside source ? Where have I heard that before ? Gotta luv all the internet talking heads with "inside sources". Back to my nap03-zzz
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2009 11:42 PM by MeanGreen61.)
02-13-2009 11:40 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(02-13-2009 12:37 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  
(02-13-2009 12:31 PM)TopCoog Wrote:  West
1. UL-L
2. North Texas
3. UTSA
4. UL-M
5. Texas State
6. Arkansas State
7. Lamar

East

1. WKY
2. MTSU
3. Troy
4. USA
5. Fla Atl
6. Fla Intl
7. Georgia State

The SBC Commisioner has said he doesn't want to expand beyond 10 schools for football.

WKU is a candidate for CUSA whenever realignment happens.
When CUSA realigns it will be because the texas schools split from the others forming a more regional conference like the SWC was. WKU will end up staying in the SBC,or moving to the MAC,or forming a new conference with Marshall and ECU.
02-13-2009 11:59 PM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators
I've said it before, I'll say it again.... SBC, WAC, C-USA, MAC all need to get around a big ole table and draw some maps. With the way these conferences are aligned, they aren't helping each other. We all need to ge together and realign geographically.

It makes too much sense for it to ever happen, but it sure would be nice.
02-14-2009 12:02 AM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(02-14-2009 12:02 AM)galojah Wrote:  I've said it before, I'll say it again.... SBC, WAC, C-USA, MAC all need to get around a big ole table and draw some maps. With the way these conferences are aligned, they aren't helping each other. We all need to ge together and realign geographically.

Man you must be 01-wingedeagle to think things like this. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2009 08:40 AM by hawghiggs.)
02-14-2009 08:39 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

(02-14-2009 12:02 AM)galojah Wrote:  I've said it before, I'll say it again.... SBC, WAC, C-USA, MAC all need to get around a big ole table and draw some maps. With the way these conferences are aligned, they aren't helping each other. We all need to ge together and realign geographically.

well of course i agree, that is the most logical way to do it. the problem is, each conference would try to lock up all the best teams...naturally. it would turn in to a big fight and nothing would get done. out of all the mid major conferences, the MAC and the Sun Belt are the best geographically positioned conferences. the WAC as La Tech, what?! the Mountain West is the best of the mids, and they aren't spread out TOO bad. Conference USA is the worst, i honestly don't see how they stay strong. travel costs have got to be mounting, and with this economy their heads won't stay above water forever. i expect C-USA to HAVE to do something.
02-14-2009 09:17 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
(02-13-2009 02:26 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  
(02-13-2009 01:54 PM)OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:  Sun Belt has room to grow to 12 and have a Sun Belt title game in New Orleans like the MAC has in Detroit. I think who they add is a question mark. Right now they have FAU, FIU, Troy, Ul-lafayette, Ul-monroe, wku, mtsu, North Texas, and Arkansas State. South Alabama is coming soon as the 10th team. That means they will need two more. Georgia State would be a great match as that gives them Atlanta market which could lead to an Atlanta bowl later on. The 12th team could be La Tech which might decide the Sun Belt is for them as those trips to Hawaii get expensive every other year.

Some of the the SBC fans recently began using the NCAAbbs board for the SBC; I suspect this thread was posted on this board in error.

There is seriously bad blood between La Tech and the SBC; I do not ever see them returning to the SBC. Some of their fans have expressed a desire to be in the MAC should the WAC days ever end.

FAns on the internet to make decisions about where their school will land. The AD at Tech would only have to call and say he wanted in the SBC and a deal would start working. Right now the WAC is a much better football league than the Belt, MAC, or CUSA, so La Tech will stay there.

A move by tech to CUSA would be a move down but make a better fit in southern US is the only way they would think about it.

Anyway, we will see if something happens.....
02-14-2009 11:43 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

everything will change once the Belt gets two more bowl tie ins. 3 or 4 tie ins could make us a much more attractive conference to potential members.
02-14-2009 11:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.