Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Where will the Sun Belt be ranked at the end of the 2009 football season?
This poll is closed.
Higher than MAC and CUSA 7.41% 2 7.41%
Higher than MAC, Lower than CUSA 81.48% 22 81.48%
Higher than CUSA, Lower than MAC 0% 0 0%
Neither 11.11% 3 11.11%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

SunBelt VS MAC VS CUSA
Bookmark and Share
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
SunBelt VS MAC VS CUSA
Will the Sun Belt be ranked higher than the MAC and CUSA at the end of the 2009 football season?
02-06-2009 02:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
RE: SunBelt VS MAC VS CUSA
I'm going to say the MAC should be below the SBC for the next few years. Especially after the Ball State break down. (And the fact we went 3-0 against them last year) We also finished higher than the MAC the season before last.

CUSA is going to be tough. I really thought that last season was the break out year for the Belt. While teams in SBC made progress, I overestimated the progress that was to be made.

CUSA always has some really good teams at the top. Lucky for us that their bottom teams are as bad if not worse than our bottom teams.

I'd say the one team out of CUSA to turn heads this year will either USM or ECU since they do bring back that awesome QB and have time to heal.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2009 02:59 PM by Paul of Troy.)
02-06-2009 02:56 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
yeah, C-USA's top three are excellent. if they left, the 'Belt would be on even par with the conference IMO.
02-06-2009 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

(02-06-2009 02:56 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  I'm going to say the MAC should be below the SBC for the next few years. Especially after the Ball State break down. (And the fact we went 3-0 against them last year) We also finished higher than the MAC the season before last.

CUSA is going to be tough. I really thought that last season was the break out year for the Belt. While teams in SBC made progress, I overestimated the progress that was to be made.

CUSA always has some really good teams at the top. Lucky for us that their bottom teams are as bad if not worse than our bottom teams.

I'd say the one team out of CUSA to turn heads this year will either USM or ECU since they do bring back that awesome QB and have time to heal.

There were some possible breakout games, but some teams didn't capitalize and lost. Like ULM being up 28-7 against Arkansas and losing, Troy being up 38-7 against LSU, MTSU losing to Kentucky 20-14 (after the Raiders threw a hail mary and were a yard short of the endzone!), FIU losing 17-9 to USF, ULL losing 20-17 to Illinois because the kick to send to OT was short.... gah so many games that Sun Belt teams had chances to win and messed up.

But, in my opinion, every team from last should be better than they were this year except ULL. So maybe next season is the year the SBC breaks through.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2009 09:54 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
02-06-2009 09:51 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I voted for above the MAC, below C-USA.

The MAC schools are so bunched up while the Belt has teams in the recruiting hotbeds of South Florida, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas. FAU and Troy in particular have really impressed me recently, and if those teams continue to make strides, they could really do some damage.

I'm not trying to slight the MAC - it will be interesting to see if/how Buffalo and CMU can build on their success - but I think that overall the Sun Belt will be better top to bottom.
02-09-2009 07:13 PM

(02-09-2009 07:13 PM)Chappy Wrote:  I voted for above the MAC, below C-USA.

The MAC schools are so bunched up while the Belt has teams in the recruiting hotbeds of South Florida, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas. FAU and Troy in particular have really impressed me recently, and if those teams continue to make strides, they could really do some damage.

I'm not trying to slight the MAC - it will be interesting to see if/how Buffalo and CMU can build on their success - but I think that overall the Sun Belt will be better top to bottom.

Thanks for the nice input. I too think the Sun Belt will be ahead of the MAC and close with CUSA, but not quite above CUSA. Buffalo lost it's QB and RB I think, so it'll be hard to replace them. CMU gets back LeFevour and their offense should be good in the MAC, but FAU showed that when they have to play a good defense, they can't do much. Same way with WMU playing Rice and Ball State playing Tulsa.
02-10-2009 12:26 AM
Advertisement

Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies
(02-06-2009 09:51 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-06-2009 02:56 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  I'm going to say the MAC should be below the SBC for the next few years. Especially after the Ball State break down. (And the fact we went 3-0 against them last year) We also finished higher than the MAC the season before last.

There were some possible breakout games, but some teams didn't capitalize and lost. Like ULM being up 28-7 against Arkansas and losing, Troy being up 38-7 against LSU, MTSU losing to Kentucky 20-14 (after the Raiders threw a hail mary and were a yard short of the endzone!), FIU losing 17-9 to USF, ULL losing 20-17 to Illinois because the kick to send to OT was short.... gah so many games that Sun Belt teams had chances to win and messed up.

But, in my opinion, every team from last should be better than they were this year except ULL. So maybe next season is the year the SBC breaks through.

1) We never had a kick that was short to send it to OT vs. Illinois. Attempted an onside kick with under a minute left, but was recovered by Illinois.

2) I'm still not so sure that we will be down next year. We return our entire OL and our defense (which showed how good they could be against Illinois) will be healthy (we had true freshman starting at LB due to injuries). We also had a capable QB who has already proven he can step up and lead the team when he is needed (see Brad McGuire vs. stAte in 2008). We also have some very talented RB who can step up and fill the void left by Fenroy.
02-10-2009 07:24 AM

(02-10-2009 07:24 AM)Cajunman02 Wrote:  1) We never had a kick that was short to send it to OT vs. Illinois. Attempted an onside kick with under a minute left, but was recovered by Illinois.

I could have sworn ULL attempted a field goal at the end. I guess I'm confusing it with the onside kick.
02-10-2009 11:39 AM
clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
(02-10-2009 11:39 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-10-2009 07:24 AM)Cajunman02 Wrote:  1) We never had a kick that was short to send it to OT vs. Illinois. Attempted an onside kick with under a minute left, but was recovered by Illinois.

I could have sworn ULL attempted a field goal at the end. I guess I'm confusing it with the onside kick.

We also had a near upset of Kansas State...we get them at home this year so I hope we can pull it off this time.
02-10-2009 11:42 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

wow, I may have to drive down to Lafayatte for that one. yall better win!
02-10-2009 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

(02-10-2009 11:45 AM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  wow, I may have to drive down to Lafayatte for that one. yall better win!

It'll be a big game because if we would have had the home cooking we would have beat them this season.

If you come down you will be welcomed with some good Cajun food.
02-10-2009 11:48 AM
Advertisement

(02-10-2009 11:42 AM)clutch0364 Wrote:  

We also had a near upset of Kansas State...we get them at home this year so I hope we can pull it off this time.

Do you guys expect that to be a sellout? Didn't the Cajuns play Texas A&M a few years back with a packed house?
02-10-2009 11:58 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

alright Clutch, i may have to do that. I'm a TROY fan, but I'm also a BIG Sun Belt fan. I love all of our teams, and I never want to leave the conference. Of course, I wouldn't be hurt if the conference improved. If we became on par with C-USA, nothing would be able to wipe the smile off my face. It'd be like pulling for the Arizona Cardinals your whole life then they make it to the Super Bowl.

Anyone who says their team needs to leave the Belt is a communist. Stay and improve it!
02-10-2009 11:59 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

Oh and btw, the Cajuns are my second favorite team in the 'Belt. initially i liked them because i love the colors and the mascot, but i've become somewhat attached to your program through talking on raginpagin and from keeping track of what yall are doing. i pull for UL over everyone in the conference except TROY of course.

Middle and FAU are tied as my third favorite team. they get the nod over everyone except TROY and Louisiana. When they play one another I pull for whoever has a better chance of making a bowl.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2009 12:02 PM by Burn the Horse.)
02-10-2009 12:01 PM
clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

(02-10-2009 11:58 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-10-2009 11:42 AM)clutch0364 Wrote:  

Do you guys expect that to be a sellout? Didn't the Cajuns play Texas A&M a few years back with a packed house?

I feel we can expect 30,000 for this game. A lot of it depends on the week before when we play Southern, if we can dominate that (which we should) I think more people will show up for K State.

Side note I feel we will have close to 40,000 for our game against Southern. They travel very well and with it being week 1, everyone will be excited.
02-10-2009 12:17 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

Southern Miss?
02-10-2009 12:19 PM
Advertisement

clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

(02-10-2009 12:01 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  Oh and btw, the Cajuns are my second favorite team in the 'Belt. initially i liked them because i love the colors and the mascot, but i've become somewhat attached to your program through talking on raginpagin and from keeping track of what yall are doing. i pull for UL over everyone in the conference except TROY of course.

Middle and FAU are tied as my third favorite team. they get the nod over everyone except TROY and Louisiana. When they play one another I pull for whoever has a better chance of making a bowl.

I feel the same way for Troy. I have a great amount of respect for your program and want UL to emulate the way ya'll do things.

I always pull for the Sunbelt above everyone else and was pulling hard for you against LSUA&M. I also pull for Middle because I love the people that I have interacted with on the boards.
02-10-2009 12:20 PM
clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

(02-10-2009 12:19 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  Southern Miss?

Southern out of the SWAC. We had over 35,000 for a game against McNeese and Southern travels better than they do.
02-10-2009 12:22 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

you know, TROY played Alabama State in 2006 and it was one of our highest attended games in recent years. Who says playing 1-AA teams isn't good for attendance? lol.

Thank you for your expressed respect. your statement about wanting to emulate our methods is also very appreciated. It's always nice to hear positive things about your program, and I agree, I think TROY has done a better job of gaining success than anyone else in the conference. FAU comes in a close second.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2009 12:25 PM by Burn the Horse.)
02-10-2009 12:24 PM
clutch0364 Offline
Ragin' Like A Cajun

(02-10-2009 12:24 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  you know, TROY played Alabama State in 2006 and it was one of our highest attended games in recent years. Who says playing 1-AA teams isn't good for attendance? lol.

Thank you for your expressed respect. your statement about wanting to emulate our methods is also very appreciated. It's always nice to hear positive things about your program, and I agree, I think TROY has done a better job of gaining success than anyone else in the conference. FAU comes in a close second.

I think we all have dreams of being like Boise, Utah, and TCU but UL is not in a position at this point to say that's what we want to do. Troy I think has set up a model that the Sunbelt can follow bc you are doing it at our level. I also think Western Kentucky is a great model for basketball success because they continually make great hires and never skip a beat. We can all look around the Sunbelt and look at what others are doing to take step forward.
02-10-2009 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.