Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Looks Like Postseason Slots Just Got Added
Bookmark and Share
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
Looks Like Postseason Slots Just Got Added
Here's a link to a story about yet another post season start up tournament. With the NCAA (65), and the NIT (32), and the CBI (16), and this new tournament (16), it looks like a total of 129 teams will be in some sort of postseason play. I hope that this new deal isn't like the CBI where you have to buy home games, but I wouldn't doubt it.

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2009/01/2...ournament/
01-26-2009 10:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

RE: Looks Like Postseason Slots Just Got Added
(01-26-2009 10:25 PM)PTJR Wrote:  Here's a link to a story about yet another post season start up tournament. With the NCAA (65), and the NIT (32), and the CBI (16), and this new tournament (16), it looks like a total of 129 teams will be in some sort of postseason play. I hope that this new deal isn't like the CBI where you have to buy home games, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Here's more information:

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/
01-26-2009 10:32 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(01-26-2009 10:25 PM)PTJR Wrote:  Here's a link to a story about yet another post season start up tournament. With the NCAA (65), and the NIT (32), and the CBI (16), and this new tournament (16), it looks like a total of 129 teams will be in some sort of postseason play. I hope that this new deal isn't like the CBI where you have to buy home games, but I wouldn't doubt it.

While I long to be in post season, I don't know if I want to pay to go there. I like to think when you play in post season, you have in some way won yourself in, not bought yourself in.
01-26-2009 10:33 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Couple of things I like about it already
(01-26-2009 10:33 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

While I long to be in post season, I don't know if I want to pay to go there. I like to think when you play in post season, you have in some way won yourself in, not bought yourself in.

Participating teams must finish the regular season with a winning record against division I opponents. Teams whose conferences have less than fifty-percent (50%) of their teams participating in the NCAA and NIT tournaments will be given higher priority for selection into the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.

They won't be taking below .500 teams like the CBI. Also it looks like they will give priority to midmajor conferences. I like the idea of a being in a tournament that we would have a realistic shot to compete in. If I'm not mistaken, we beat Tulsa last year and they ended up winning the CBI. Seems like if we win our division and win 20 games, like last year, we should end up in postseason this year. To me, this make a lot more sense than expanding the NCAA tournament like I've heard some people advocate. 65 teams is more than enough. This allows 64 more teams to play in postseason against competition that is on a level playing field.
01-26-2009 10:58 PM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
RE: Couple of things I like about it already
take a look at the selection committee:

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/committee.html
01-26-2009 11:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

This is a good thing for us, the mid-major, that can compete with win against about 300 of the teams playing D1 Basketball on any given night. Looks like Fox will boardcast the games. I dont' remember if the CBI being on TV last year. I personally dream of landing a tournament with a chance to win the thing.
01-26-2009 11:29 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2009 11:29 PM)insideualr Wrote:  This is a good thing for us, the mid-major, that can compete with win against about 300 of the teams playing D1 Basketball on any given night. Looks like Fox will boardcast the games. I dont' remember if the CBI being on TV last year. I personally dream of landing a tournament with a chance to win the thing.

That is of course if we're not in the Big Dance or the NIT. But other than that, I'm with you.
01-26-2009 11:52 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2009 11:29 PM)insideualr Wrote:  This is a good thing for us, the mid-major, that can compete with win against about 300 of the teams playing D1 Basketball on any given night. Looks like Fox will boardcast the games. I dont' remember if the CBI being on TV last year. I personally dream of landing a tournament with a chance to win the thing.

"Looks like Fox will boardcast the games. I dont' remember if the CBI being on TV last year."

Where did you find this information? Some of the CBI games were televised last year. I remember watching the Spiders play at UVA, and got hosed by the officials as bad as we got hosed up in Minnesota one time. This new tournament may, or may not, have a more legitimate format than the CBI, which is strictly designed to make money for the sponsors, and has little to do with fairness.
01-27-2009 12:01 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
They have diluted post season down to the point it means very little now.
01-27-2009 08:38 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2009 08:38 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  They have diluted post season down to the point it means very little now.

Personally I disagree. It gives programs and fans something to build on. Even if 129 teams in Division I Basketball participate in post season, that is still far less of a percentage than Division I Football teams that play in Bowl Games. I don't see anybody in the SBC advocating getting rid of the New Orleans Bowl. I went to the Liberty Bowl this year to root for East Carolina, and trust me, their fans loved it (except for the score of the game).

And in any event, the only tournament that the population at large will pay any significant attention to is the Big Dance, which is where every team in America wants to be, regardless of how many other post season tournaments there are.
01-27-2009 09:36 AM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(01-27-2009 09:36 AM)PTJR Wrote:  And in any event, the only tournament that the population at large will pay any significant attention to is the Big Dance, which is where every team in America wants to be, regardless of how many other post season tournaments there are.

Amen Brother.
01-27-2009 09:39 AM
Advertisement

Dr. J. Offline
1st String

I don't long to be in the post season. I long to be in the NCAA tournament. As a last resort, the NIT. All this other Mickey Mouse crap doesn't mean a thing. So if you win the CBI, what does that mean? Maybe we get to put a banner up. Big deal. No. If we can't earn our way into one of the real tournaments, then we need to focus on next year and finding a way to get there. 03-puke03-puke03-puke
01-27-2009 09:48 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2009 09:48 AM)Dr. J. Wrote:  

I don't long to be in the post season. I long to be in the NCAA tournament. As a last resort, the NIT. All this other Mickey Mouse crap doesn't mean a thing. So if you win the CBI, what does that mean? Maybe we get to put a banner up. Big deal. No. If we can't earn our way into one of the real tournaments, then we need to focus on next year and finding a way to get there. 03-puke03-puke03-puke

Okay. We pull an upset in the Sun Belt tournament and go to the NCAA tournament as a 15 seed and get our butt kicked. Sounds like fun to me. If we are the best team in the Belt I want to go. Otherwise, I'd rather go to a tournament in which we can truly compete.
01-27-2009 10:23 AM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(01-27-2009 10:23 AM)mjs Wrote:  Okay. We pull an upset in the Sun Belt tournament and go to the NCAA tournament as a 15 seed and get our butt kicked. Sounds like fun to me.

How about we go as a 15 seed and WIN a game. That sounds like MORE fun to me.
01-27-2009 10:24 AM
Dr. J. Offline
1st String

(01-27-2009 10:24 AM)Scotto Wrote:  
(01-27-2009 10:23 AM)mjs Wrote:  Okay. We pull an upset in the Sun Belt tournament and go to the NCAA tournament as a 15 seed and get our butt kicked. Sounds like fun to me.

How about we go as a 15 seed and WIN a game. That sounds like MORE fun to me.
Now you're talking Scotto. I'll even forget that you're lobbying for those black jerseys!04-rock04-rock04-rock
01-27-2009 10:26 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans

I don't long to be in the post season. I long to be in the NCAA tournam ent. As a last resort, the NIT. All this other Mickey Mouse crap doesn't mean a thing. So if you win the CBI, what does that mean? Maybe we get to put a banner up. Big deal. No. If we can't earn our way into one of the real tournaments, then we need to focus on next year and finding a way to get there. 03-puke03-puke03-puke

I believe everyone on this board feels the same way, win the tournament and go to the NCAA. But, if you can't go to the NCAA, go to some post season, with the exception of one that you have to pay your way in. I don't believe in that. As d-l says, I'd also like to go to one that we had at least an outside chance of winning, like the NIT.

Play one and go home in the NCAA is most likely going to happen to anyone from our league most years. At least in the NIT, you have a better chance to win some games, and maybe even host a game or two.
01-27-2009 10:36 AM
Advertisement

Dr. J. Offline
1st String

(01-27-2009 10:36 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

I don't long to be in the post season. I long to be in the NCAA tournam ent. As a last resort, the NIT. All this other Mickey Mouse crap doesn't mean a thing. So if you win the CBI, what does that mean? Maybe we get to put a banner up. Big deal. No. If we can't earn our way into one of the real tournaments, then we need to focus on next year and finding a way to get there. 03-puke03-puke03-puke

I believe everyone on this board feels the same way, win the tournament and go to the NCAA. But, if you can't go to the NCAA, go to some post season, with the exception of one that you have to pay your way in. I don't believe in that. As d-l says, I'd also like to go to one that we had at least an outside chance of winning, like the NIT.

Play one and go home in the NCAA is most likely going to happen to anyone from our league most years. At least in the NIT, you have a better chance to win some games, and maybe even host a game or two.

I believe going to the NCAA gives your program some more credibility for recruiting purposes, whether you win a game or not. And it gives your current players the belief that they can get there every year, whether they do or not. It's called "winning tradition". Western has that, and that's at least one reason why they have kept winning over the years.
You start getting to the NCAA enough, and eventually you're going to win a game. And maybe someday, you win more than one. It's the old "success breeds success".04-rock04-rock04-rock
01-27-2009 10:40 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Blast from the past for the weekend. The n ew tournaments.

We still have not played in them....
09-14-2013 06:10 PM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
Damn, I was much more active on here back then. It's weird to see that.
09-14-2013 11:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-14-2013 11:04 PM)Robert C Wrote:  Damn, I was much more active on here back then. It's weird to see that.

Yes, all that discussion for nothing. I can tell you that the coaches and players would have loved to play in a postseason tournament, but they obviously are not the ones who make that decision.
09-14-2013 11:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.