Bookmark and Share
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Potential bowl tie-in for SBC
11 things that must happen for Orlando to get a 3rd bowl game
-> http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...0,726752.story

By Iliana Limón | Sentinel Staff Writer
January 25, 2009

The coalition hoping to launch a new bowl game in Orlando knows it faces a tough battle.

The group has spent the past year working to clear numerous hurdles and establish a bowl game that will benefit local breast-cancer charities. The game is tentatively scheduled to be played in December at Bright House Networks Stadium on the UCF campus.

[...]

3. Establish commitments with two conferences to send teams to the bowl game.

Buzz: Rhodes said the bowl already has an agreement with Conference USA to be its sixth postseason tie after the GMAC Bowl ended its affiliation with the conference. The bowl committee is close to lining up the other conference agreement. The Mid-American Conference and Sun Belt are two likely choices to fill the slot.

[...]
01-26-2009 01:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
RE: Potential bowl tie-in for SBC
(01-26-2009 01:19 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  11 things that must happen for Orlando to get a 3rd bowl game

January 25, 2009

The coalition hoping to launch a new bowl game in Orlando knows it faces a tough battle.

The group has spent the past year working to clear numerous hurdles and establish a bowl game that will benefit local breast-cancer charities. The game is tentatively scheduled to be played in December at Bright House Networks Stadium on the UCF campus.

[...]

Buzz: Rhodes said the bowl already has an agreement with Conference USA to be its sixth postseason tie after the GMAC Bowl ended its affiliation with the conference. The bowl committee is close to lining up the other conference agreement. The Mid-American Conference and Sun Belt are two likely choices to fill the slot.

[...]

I love Orlando. This would be GREAT, GREAT news. Mouse ears, bowl game, and Courtney Lee. 04-cheers

With two schools in Florida and two schools in southern Alabama, you have to think that the belt would have the edge on the MAC here.
01-26-2009 06:49 PM

(01-26-2009 06:49 PM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  
(01-26-2009 01:19 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  11 things that must happen for Orlando to get a 3rd bowl game

January 25, 2009

[...]

[...]

I love Orlando. This would be GREAT, GREAT news. Mouse ears, bowl game, and Courtney Lee. 04-cheers

With two schools in Florida and two schools in southern Alabama, you have to think that the belt would have the edge on the MAC here.

You would think so, but knowing Wright Water's he might not take advantage of this situation. He couldn't even do those back-up bowl contracts right. If the SBC doesn't get either the Mobile Bowl or the Orlando bowl then I'm lobbying for WW to get fired or resign.
01-27-2009 12:21 AM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
I would have to agree the MAC doesn't deserve any more bowls until they put butts in seats. The MAC doesn't travel at all to conference games. Sun Belt with two Florida Schools should be in this game. MAC quality of play on the field has fallen behind the Sun Belt. Our bowl performance this past year was a disaster. CUSA has UCF which could fill this bowl. Its would be a good bowl.
01-27-2009 01:49 AM

(01-27-2009 01:49 AM)OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:  I would have to agree the MAC doesn't deserve any more bowls until they put butts in seats. The MAC doesn't travel at all to conference games. Sun Belt with two Florida Schools should be in this game. MAC quality of play on the field has fallen behind the Sun Belt. Our bowl performance this past year was a disaster. CUSA has UCF which could fill this bowl. Its would be a good bowl.

I don't think the MAC needs anymore bowls anyway. They likely wouldn't have enough eligible teams to fill the spot. I'm sure there would be some years though that they would fill it, but it makes the most sense for the SBC to get this bowl since we only have the New Orleans bowl and the MAC has plenty.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2009 02:13 AM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
01-27-2009 02:12 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Lets just pray that Wrong Waters can get this done.

SBC critically needs another guranteed bowl ASAP.

The fact that CUSA has 6 tie automatic tie ins is just nuts. 01-wingedeagle

I know they owned the SBC this year, but other then that the leagues have been competative with each other.

4 bowl elligible teams last year and 2 got to go, with FAU getting in solely because of TV market, Name recognition, and exposure in the state of Michigan (thanks to the MSU game)
01-27-2009 10:17 AM
Advertisement

CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(01-27-2009 10:17 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  The fact that CUSA has 6 tie automatic tie ins is just nuts. 01-wingedeagle

I know they owned the SBC this year, but other then that the leagues have been competative with each other.

4 bowl elligible teams last year and 2 got to go, with FAU getting in solely because of TV market, Name recognition, and exposure in the state of Michigan (thanks to the MSU game)

That's because of two things:

1. CUSA has far better attendance than the Sun Belt, especially comparing the top teams, and even teams like Rice that have poor regular season attendance, do very well with their bowl traveling crowd
2. CUSA has never failed to fill all 6 bowls
01-27-2009 10:20 AM
OwlFamily Offline

(01-27-2009 10:20 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(01-27-2009 10:17 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  The fact that CUSA has 6 tie automatic tie ins is just nuts. 01-wingedeagle

1. CUSA has far better attendance than the Sun Belt, especially comparing the top teams, and even teams like Rice that have poor regular season attendance, do very well with their bowl traveling crowd

6 just seems a TAD much when other confrences have 1 or 2. 04-jawdrop

Im not begrudgeing CUSA more bowls then SBC. 4 I think would be plenty for the size of the confrence and let the others fend in the At large pool.
01-27-2009 10:40 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2009 10:40 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(01-27-2009 10:20 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  

6 just seems a TAD much when other confrences have 1 or 2. 04-jawdrop

Im not begrudgeing CUSA more bowls then SBC. 4 I think would be plenty for the size of the confrence and let the others fend in the At large pool.

You do what's best for your conference. And the only conferences with just 1 or 2 bids are the Sun Belt and the MAC.
01-27-2009 09:18 PM
RockyMtnRamfan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Colorado State
As a MWC fan I get tired of playing the WAC in bowls, we already play them in 2 bowls. What about a secondary tie-in with a MWC bowl?
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2009 09:21 PM by RockyMtnRamfan.)
01-27-2009 09:21 PM
BlueRaiderFan111 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(01-27-2009 09:21 PM)RockyMtnRamfan Wrote:  As a MWC fan I get tired of playing the WAC in bowls, we already play them in 2 bowls. What about a secondary tie-in with a MWC bowl?

The only problem with it is that it would have to be in the South East. Sunbelt schools haven't built the alumni/fan base to travel too far west, but I think the MWC schools would be o.k. traveling here. Of course I'll take what I can get right now.03-banghead
01-27-2009 09:38 PM
Advertisement

A match-up with an MWC team would be great, but I doubt that would happen. If there was a bowl formed farther west that was SBC vs MWC, I think UNT and Troy would travel pretty well, not sure about the other schools though.
01-28-2009 12:14 AM
BlueRaiderFan111 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(01-28-2009 12:14 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  A match-up with an MWC team would be great, but I doubt that would happen. If there was a bowl formed farther west that was SBC vs MWC, I think UNT and Troy would travel pretty well, not sure about the other schools though.

We always travel well, relatively speaking. A bowl game west of Arkansas is not a good idea with a Sunbelt team.
01-28-2009 09:51 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
If I could arrange the bowl bids at my whim, I'd have the following:

GMAC (Mobile): SBC #3 vs. MAC/WAC
R+L Carrier New Orleans: SBC #2 vs. Mountain West
Orlando (new bowl): SBC #1 vs. Conference USA

Now if the University of Louisville had built a domed stadium, I'd be pushing for a Sun Belt/MAC matchup, with the goal of sending MTSU or WKU there as much as possible. Unfortunately, December and January in Louisville are not good times to have large outdoor sporting events.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2009 09:57 PM by chargeradio.)
01-29-2009 09:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

(01-29-2009 09:53 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  If I could arrange the bowl bids at my whim, I'd have the following:

Now if the University of Louisville had built a domed stadium, I'd be pushing for a Sun Belt/MAC matchup, with the goal of sending MTSU or WKU there as much as possible. Unfortunately, December and January in Louisville are not good times to have large outdoor sporting events.

I'd like to see:

Mobile Bowl: SBC #3 vs. MAC
New Orleans Bowl: SBC #1 vs. ACC
Orlando Bowl: SBC #2 vs. CUSA
01-30-2009 01:01 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2009 01:01 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(01-29-2009 09:53 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  If I could arrange the bowl bids at my whim, I'd have the following:

I'd like to see:

The smart thing for the Sun Belt would be to do what CUSA does and find the best geographic fit for your bowls each year. And in the Sun Belt's case with travel, it might be best to not even set the bowl that hosts your champion. If FAU or FIU is your champ, they're better off playing in the Orlando Bowl and letting the other teams have Mobile and NO just because of the distance.
01-30-2009 10:48 AM
Advertisement

playfailstogain Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy and Tulane
(01-30-2009 10:48 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(01-30-2009 01:01 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

I'd like to see:

The smart thing for the Sun Belt would be to do what CUSA does and find the best geographic fit for your bowls each year. And in the Sun Belt's case with travel, it might be best to not even set the bowl that hosts your champion. If FAU or FIU is your champ, they're better off playing in the Orlando Bowl and letting the other teams have Mobile and NO just because of the distance.

That is actually a VERY good idea.
01-30-2009 03:43 PM
OwlFamily Offline

Not being up on my Bowl orgnizational stuff I wonder if perhpas they would let teams "Swap"

Lets say Hypothetically that FAU wins the Sunbelt (02-13-banana) and Troy is in second and gets an invite to the St Pete.

In the interest of attendance would the 2 bowl committies work with the schools and let the teams swap as attendance would probably increase for both due solely to travel distance?
01-30-2009 03:49 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

i don't know, but that's an interesting question.

i'll tell you this, the Sun Belt deserves three bowls. i'd like to have:

New Orleans Bowl
GMAC Bowl
this new bowl in FL.

the NO Bowl needs to pit the Sun Belt champion versus an ACC or Big East team, not a CUSA team. Our champion (despite losing this season) is so much better than the C-USA representitive almost every year. Sure, USA owned us for a few seasons, but the conference has improved leaps and bounds since the days of UNT dominance. I mean, the Mean Green were representing the Belt with a losing record on occasion!

Anyways, yeah...we need more bowl games. it's the only way outside of success in OOC games to gain legitimacy.
01-31-2009 10:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(01-30-2009 03:49 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  Not being up on my Bowl orgnizational stuff I wonder if perhpas they would let teams "Swap"

Lets say Hypothetically that FAU wins the Sunbelt (02-13-banana) and Troy is in second and gets an invite to the St Pete.

In the interest of attendance would the 2 bowl committies work with the schools and let the teams swap as attendance would probably increase for both due solely to travel distance?

I think they can do that as long as the second place team has at least 7 wins.
01-31-2009 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.