Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Totally Classless Bush Protesters Part II
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Totally Classless Bush Protesters Part II
01-wingedeagle

President Bush was given an Iraqi-journalist-style sendoff on his last full day in office Monday, as tourists and demonstrators lobbed shoes, pumps, boots, sandals and Crocs from Pennsylvania Avenue onto the White House lawn.

Unlike Muntazer al-Zaidi, the Iraqi reporter who inspired the protest, none of the shoe-throwers in the group were arrested. (Later that day, reports NBC, one man was arrested for chucking a shoe at the White House.)

Marching down Connecticut Avenue with handfuls of footwear, the group of about a hundred was on the receiving end of enthusiastic honks, thumbs-up and waves from people in the street.

The reception was almost as warm from the people guarding the White House.

"Don't hit me!" one officer behind the White House fence joked as shoes rained around him.

Tracey Primavera, a shoe-lobber from Provincetown, Massachusetts, shouted at the guard that she had a pump that would look nice on him.

I tried that. It didn't look good on me," yelled back the officer. Primavera tossed him the pump anyway.

Tourists on Pennsylvania Avenue picked up shoes and lobbed them at the White House as well. "A lot of random people joined in," noted one organizer, David Swanson. "Everybody wanted to be photographed with an "Arrest Bush" sign.

The tourists also joined a spontaneous chorus that formed. On the night of the election, thousands of people swarmed the White House and sang the old sports classic, "Hey, Hey, Hey, Goodbye." The song made a reappearance Monday, as did a number of tunes apparently written for the occasion, with lyrics such as "Hang down your head, George Bush/Hang down your head in shame," and "Take him to the Hague" -- the latter sung to the tune of "Working on the Railroad."

The target practice on the giant Bush doll began around 11:00 in the morning and was still going five hours later, as thousands of people walking through the circle stopped to pick up a shoe and wing it at the outgoing president. Some threw fastballs like al-Zaidi. Others tied several together in an attempt to land them on Bush's long Pinocchio-esque nose. Children took part. ("Okay. One more shoe, kids," said one parent.) Some folks simply walked up to the doll and kicked it in the shins. It fell over at one point and people rushed it, beating it with shoes.

Still others, like al-Zaidi, missed.

"Ah! I missed!" yelled Sharon Kerr, in town from Austin, Texas, after chucking wide of her presidential mark. She said that she felt a little like the Iraqi reporter for missing. But she noted in his defense, "He had people blocking him."

Kerr began to leave the circle but stopped. "I'm gonna go one more time. I'm gonna nail him this time," she said before winding up and striking him cleanly in the belt.

Cheryl Upshaw, in from Atlanta and sporting a full-length fur coat, hit the Bush doll high on the shoulder. "I was really trying to aim for his heart," said Upshaw, a registered nurse who owns a home healthcare agency. The throw was cathartic, she said, and it seemed to relieve some of her anger.

"It's not that I hate him," she clarified. "I don't hate him personally. I hate what he has done to this country."

Medea Benjamin, a cofounder of the antiwar group CODEPINK, said the protest was a way to "get the Bush era out of your intestines."

"I was a little reluctant because I want to be in a positive mood," she said. "I don't want to be seen as doing something violent. The shoe-throwing is borderline, but the intent is to insult, not to hurt. There's a fine line."

Once all the shoes had been tossed onto the White House lawn, the officers collected them and piled them into the back of a small truck. "The next person who throws them gets arrested," said one, though the entire pile had already been thrown.

As the protesters headed back toward Dupont Circle, a Secret Service agent left them with a parting observation.

"You all won," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/19...59223.html
01-21-2009 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
RE: Totally Classless Bush Protesters Part II
I hope all those dumb drones got frostbite on their toes. Of course, they would blame that on Bush too.
01-21-2009 09:47 AM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only
(01-21-2009 09:25 AM)WMD Owl Wrote:  01-wingedeagle

President Bush was given an Iraqi-journalist-style sendoff on his last full day in office Monday, as tourists and demonstrators lobbed shoes, pumps, boots, sandals and Crocs from Pennsylvania Avenue onto the White House lawn.

My God People !!!!!!!

If this is true and was let happen by White House Security, everyone of them needs Prison Time and I mean without delay !!!!!!!!!

You like that happening at your White House RobertN ???????

Some of your Buddies up there were they ?????

This By-God is MY COUNTRY - - let one of these stanky shoe throwing freaks have a toss at me .... we will see about giving back some First Class Accommodations for the Trip to the Virgins .....

If you guys don't see the Bigger Picture here and the Long Term Pattern this will cause and you don't stand up for the proper security after something like this ..... then Peace Be With You as you suddenly realize that your world has just changed to someone else's and they are playing by Their Rules !!!

This is a most shameful moment for us all and if any of you defend this, you are wrong and there is absolutely no excuse, EVER, for this !!!!!!

What a Great Way to Usher GOD into the White House - - Throwing Shoes at the Peacefully Exiting President ....

"The White House just became White Trash Central" !!!!!

01-21-2009 09:58 AM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
[Image: 2009-01-19-shoes2.jpg]

Hehe
01-21-2009 10:33 AM
Tripster Offline

(01-21-2009 10:33 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  [Image: 2009-01-19-shoes2.jpg]

Hehe

That is just plain wastefully stupid ......

The man was Leaving 4 Years Ago .... DUH !!!!!!!!!

You Liberal Characters are ALL THE SAME - - you preach Peace, Love, Get Along, yet you Bash, Hate, do Stupid Shyte like purchase $3000 dollar Blow Up Bush Dolls that say 'Give Bush The Boot" ..... WHEN HE IS GOING HOME REGARDLESS OF 2008's ELECTION !!!!!!!

You dudes really need a reality check and HEY, Practice What You Preach for a Change ......

01-21-2009 10:54 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
03-lmfao

I actually have no problem with this protest. I did have a problem with protesters booing W at the ceremony. The ceremony had nothing to do with W and made them look foolish. This was funny.
01-21-2009 12:37 PM
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies
Kind of like people booing Obama during McCain's concession speech....
01-21-2009 02:58 PM
tigerjoe Offline
Fan of Mesaboogie and PRS

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

DonatorsDonators
Citizens have every right to protest peacefully. Ironic though that Bush was officially gone and the Obama admin had to actually deal with the mess - but oh well.
01-21-2009 02:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(01-21-2009 09:58 AM)Tripster Wrote:  

My God People !!!!!!!

If this is true and was let happen by White House Security, everyone of them needs Prison Time and I mean without delay !!!!!!!!!

Hey, John Kerry did more or less the same thing, and look what happened to him (mostly, it's still galling to me that he got his medal back). Did anyone get disciplined when that happened?
01-21-2009 03:43 PM
EastStang Offline
All American

I Root For:
That's okay, dogs and the homeless urinate often in the area where they were prancing with bare feet. The fungus will start growing in about 72 hours.
01-21-2009 05:33 PM
Tripster Offline

(01-21-2009 03:43 PM)I45owl Wrote:  Hey, John Kerry did more or less the same thing, and look what happened to him (mostly, it's still galling to me that he got his medal back). Did anyone get disciplined when that happened?

No, he didn't get them back .... Because ..... he "Never Threw His".

It was another Vet's Medals he supposedly tossed over the fence.

That is how he explained having his Original Awards hanging on his office wall when he got caught in the lie.

He tried real nice though .... 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

01-21-2009 06:34 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(01-21-2009 02:58 PM)uhmump95 Wrote:  Kind of like people booing Obama during McCain's concession speech....

Exactly....I was quite proud that McCain did not allow that to continue and admonished those that did that.

Civil Disobedience and protest should be undertaken with the situation in mind. Disrupting an occasion like yesterday was not the the proper place....Throwing shoes at the White House and chanting outside...perfectly fine.
01-21-2009 07:27 PM
Tripster Offline

(01-21-2009 07:27 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Exactly....I was quite proud that McCain did not allow that to continue and admonished those that did that.

Civil Disobedience and protest should be undertaken with the situation in mind. Disrupting an occasion like yesterday was not the the proper place....Throwing shoes at the White House and chanting outside...perfectly fine.

Man I can not agree with that one.

This is where the most powerful man on Earth lives and works - - any unrest outside the White House is 100% totally unacceptable.

The next thing some fool(s) will be tossing over the White House Fence is a Dirty Bomb or a Homemade Missile.

There is a Clear Line we need never allow people to cross in the name of any Freedom and the absolute protection of the White House is top on the list ..... be it from Shoe's or JDAM's.

01-21-2009 07:41 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(01-21-2009 10:33 AM)cb4029 Wrote:  [Image: 2009-01-19-shoes2.jpg]

Hehe

I assume you found the person picking their nose funny hence the hehe?
01-21-2009 10:26 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(01-21-2009 07:41 PM)Tripster Wrote:  
(01-21-2009 07:27 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Exactly....I was quite proud that McCain did not allow that to continue and admonished those that did that.

Man I can not agree with that one.

This is where the most powerful man on Earth lives and works - - any unrest outside the White House is 100% totally unacceptable.

The next thing some fool(s) will be tossing over the White House Fence is a Dirty Bomb or a Homemade Missile.

There is a Clear Line we need never allow people to cross in the name of any Freedom and the absolute protection of the White House is top on the list ..... be it from Shoe's or JDAM's.

As if they actually got close the the White House.03-lmfao

I could care less about ANY of these men that wish to control the lives of others..You are certainly free to admire these politicians if you wish...Just allow me the freedom to view them as I see fit....I long ago left the statist paradigm.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2009 11:00 PM by Fo Shizzle.)
01-21-2009 10:58 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
[Image: wpe-shoe-sign.jpg]

[Image: nywt-kiss-w-goodbye.jpg]
01-21-2009 11:25 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
Flash to CB:

George W. Bush is no longer President!

Are you going to hound the guy for the rest of his life??
01-21-2009 11:37 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
2001-2009, yah morons.

Just sayin'.
01-21-2009 11:45 PM
Quote this message in a reply
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(01-21-2009 09:58 AM)Tripster Wrote:  

My God People !!!!!!!

You like that happening at your White House RobertN ???????

Some of your Buddies up there were they ?????

This By-God is MY COUNTRY - - let one of these stanky shoe throwing freaks have a toss at me .... we will see about giving back some First Class Accommodations for the Trip to the Virgins .....

If you guys don't see the Bigger Picture here and the Long Term Pattern this will cause and you don't stand up for the proper security after something like this ..... then Peace Be With You as you suddenly realize that your world has just changed to someone else's and they are playing by Their Rules !!!

This is a most shameful moment for us all and if any of you defend this, you are wrong and there is absolutely no excuse, EVER, for this !!!!!!

What a Great Way to Usher GOD into the White House - - Throwing Shoes at the Peacefully Exiting President ....

"The White House just became White Trash Central" !!!!!

Good thing you weren't there, you would have just shot them all. As for them throwing shoes, I really doubt that they would get anywhere near a place where there was a real need to worry about a shoe. My guess is they felt there was no immediate threat so they just let it go. As for frostbite, um, I doubt it since most probably through shoes they brought with them not the ones they were wearing.
01-22-2009 04:00 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(01-22-2009 04:00 AM)RobertN Wrote:  As for frostbite, um, I doubt it since most probably through shoes they brought with them not the ones they were wearing.

And you know this how? No fair looking at your feet before answering.
01-22-2009 09:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.