"Bengals Locker Room Full of Bearcats"
Bookmark and Share
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
"Bengals Locker Room Full of Bearcats"
The irony here is that this article is written by the Canadian Press:

Quote:CINCINNATI — Running back Bradley Glatthaar slipped a backpack over his shoulder while Greg Moore finished dressing next to him, chatting nonstop about the rest of the day's schedule.

They've been doing this for years.

Friends at the University of Cincinnati, the two players are now storing their football gear side-by-side in the Cincinnati Bengals' locker room. They were given adjacent lockers in the middle of the room for a weekend minicamp.

"We hung out together all the time," said Moore, who was invited to try out at the rookie camp. "We laughed and joked all the time. We laugh and joke now."

They've got plenty of company from college.

Five former Cincinnati Bearcats are participating in the three-day camp at Paul Brown Stadium, a measure of how much the college football program has changed.

Last season, the Bearcats tied their school record for wins with a 10-3 mark, won the Papajohns.com Bowl and finished at No. 17 in the national poll. The team's success also earned notice for its players.

The Bengals drafted defensive end Angelo Craig in the seventh round last Sunday. They also signed Glatthaar and linebacker Anthony Hoke as undrafted free agents, and invited Moore and safety Anthony Williams to try out for contracts at the weekend camp.

That's five Bearcats in the locker room.

"It's kind of funny," Glatthaar said. "After the season, you're kind of like, 'Aw, I'm not going to see them again for a while, maybe ever.' Then to see them here again, it's a great feeling. I got a call from Hoke when he signed. He called me and said, 'We're teammates still!"'

For the first time, the Bearcats' football team drew attention away from the Bengals last season. They started selling out their on-campus stadium, located a 15-minute drive from Paul Brown Stadium, while the Bengals stumbled through a 7-9 season that turned off fans.

The Bearcats' success and exposure paid off this past week. Besides the five Bearcats in Cincinnati, safety Haruki Nakamura was drafted by Baltimore, offensive lineman Digger Bujnoch signed with the Giants, and tight end Doug Jones signed with the Rams.

"Over the last few years, they've won more football games, and you see the guys maturing into football players that have the ability to compete for jobs on this level," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "They continue to get better each and every year."

It's particularly pleasing for those who got to stay close to home.

"It's just a thrill to be out there, period," said Moore, who grew up in nearby Dayton and attended Bengals games. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I went to a couple of games back when Corey Dillon was here."

Craig, the first Bearcat drafted since cornerback Artrell Hawkins in 1998, already knew some of the Bengals players. He watched them work out at training camp last summer.

"To have my teammates here is a blessing," Craig said.

They sat together in the defensive and offensive team meetings, and compared notes on their new playbooks at night. Two of their first three workouts were held in pouring rain at Paul Brown Stadium - the Bengals haven't invested in a covered practice field.

The wet workouts were reminiscent of their afternoon practices in the elements at UC's uncovered Nippert Stadium.

"It's like being at home - the university to the big-time now," Moore said.

While they got wet, Nakamura was in his apartment in Cincinnati studying his Ravens play book and trying to master the different terminology. He hadn't yet checked in with any of his former teammates in Bengals camp.

"I want to let those guys get their peace," Nakamura said. "I'll ask them when they come back."

Just like old times.

Candadian Press Article

05-05-2008 03:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: "Bengals Locker Room Full of Bearcats"
"Craig, the first Bearcat drafted since cornerback Artrell Hawkins in 1998, already knew some of the Bengals players. He watched them work out at training camp last summer."

???? Many Bearcats were drafted between Hawkins and this year.

05-05-2008 03:14 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
SuperFlyBCat Wrote:"Craig, the first Bearcat drafted since cornerback Artrell Hawkins in 1998, already knew some of the Bengals players. He watched them work out at training camp last summer."

I think they meant the first Bearcat dreafted by the Bengals since
Artrell Hawkins.

05-05-2008 03:21 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
Mike Brown probably figured he had to do this in order to share the future practice bubble.

Hopefully a few of these guys will stick on the practice squad.

05-05-2008 03:24 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
BcatMatt13 Wrote:
SuperFlyBCat Wrote:"Craig, the first Bearcat drafted since cornerback Artrell Hawkins in 1998, already knew some of the Bengals players. He watched them work out at training camp last summer."

I think they meant the first Bearcat dreafted by the Bengals since
Artrell Hawkins.

That must be the case Matt.

05-05-2008 03:25 PM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Crewdogz Wrote:Two of their first three workouts were held in pouring rain at Paul Brown Stadium - the Bengals haven't invested in a covered practice field.

I think they meant - the Bengals forgot to add a covered practice field clause in the sweet stadium deal they got from the city of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, but are hoping that the University of Cincinati will let them use theirs when it is built, thus allowing Bengals owner Mike Brown to continue to leech off of others and keep his money intact.

05-05-2008 03:38 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks
Crewdogz Wrote:The irony here is that this article is written by the Canadian Press:
It is an AP story...Sportsline has the same thing and it says AP.
http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/10811460

05-05-2008 03:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Bearcat04 Wrote:Mike Brown probably figured he had to do this in order to share the future practice bubble.

Hopefully a few of these guys will stick on the practice squad.

Or maybe Mike figured he needed to get a few bad asses in that lockerroom in order to keep those maniacs in order. 03-wink

05-05-2008 04:49 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Crewdogz Wrote:The irony here is that this article is written by the Canadian Press:
Crew, Irony or business as usual? 03-nerner
bearcatfan Wrote:..but are hoping that the University of Cincinati will let them use theirs when it is built, thus allowing Bengals owner Mike Brown to continue to leech off of others and keep his money intact.
Pretty simple: If I was Mike Thomas, I'd allow the Bengals to use the practice facility on a non-interference basis, as long as the Bearcats can play in PBS once a year rent-free. Wouldn't that be a fair trade?

05-05-2008 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.