Bookmark and Share
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Coach ‘Tuke' has Huskies' defense hungry for big improvements
Coach ‘Tuke' has Huskies' defense hungry for big improvements
By John Sahly - jsahly@daily-chronicle.com

[Image: sports01.jpg]

DeKALB - If Northern Illinois linebackers coach Tom Matukewicz sounds like he's repeating himself during scrimmages and drills, there is a purpose behind it.

Matukewicz, affectionately called “Tuke” by his players, walks up and down the sidelines signaling in plays and waiting to shout what's quickly become a signature phrase at NIU spring football practice.

“Get candy,” Matukewicz will bellow out to his defense.

Like a parent with small children, Matukewicz is using candy as motivation. But it's not to get NIU defenders to clean their rooms or take out the garbage, it's to cause turnovers. If a player gets an interception, he gets a Payday. Anyone who causes a fumble gets a Snickers. The player who Matukewicz believes is the hardest worker in spring football will receive a large Crunch bar for his effort.

Get candy.

It's usually just said once before a snap, but once the action starts, “Tuke” can't help himself but to repeat the phrase over and over again.

And when the defense does get candy, it's like a party on the field at Huskie Stadium. At Wednesday's practice, redshirt freshman linebacker Pat Schiller intercepted a Chandler Harnish pass. What followed was the defense all running out onto the field, squirting water bottles and dancing, in a celebration somewhat reminiscent of what the entire Georgia football team did after scoring an early touchdown against Florida last season.

“I'm just excited,” Matukewicz said. “This is why I wanted to be a coach, just to actually get to coach. Right now I'm just so excited. I think the guys are really, really wanting to get better. They're hungry.”

Given Matukewicz's motivational technique, hungry would be the operative word.

It's not the only phrase Matukewicz sticks with. A technique drill at Monday's practice that involved defenders moving and picking up a towel had Matukewicz repeating “Shake and bake” to his players.

“He just comes up with stuff off the top of the head,” Schiller said. “Him and (wide receivers) coach (P.J.) Fleck are probably the craziest guys out there.”

That mentality is a part of the apparent changing of the culture around Northern Illinois football. Players have said they're more relaxed but working even harder this season. Matukewicz has played a major role in that according to the players.

“A lot of humor, I can say that,” said linebacker Phil Brown. “They're making it fun around here. It's serious, but (Matukewicz) helps us understand that it's really a game.”

But Matukewicz's candy mantra is all designed around one very serious thing; increasing the number of turnovers the defense gets. Last year, the Huskies defense recovered eight fumbles and had seven interceptions. Those aren't numbers a defense can thrive on, and Matukewicz's aim is to get the ball back to the offense as soon as possible.

“As a defense, we've got to get that mentality that each play ends with a takeaway,” Matukewicz said. “Not a tackle, not an incomplete pass. It ends with an interception. It ends with a strip attempt. It ends with a fumble recovery. That's the mentality we've got to have.”

That, and a sweet tooth.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/...orts01.txt
03-27-2008 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I
RE: Coach ‘Tuke' has Huskies' defense hungry for big improvements
wtf is that thing in your sig? it's scaring me yet I can't stop staring at it.
03-27-2008 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

NIUtrav09 Wrote:wtf is that thing in your sig? it's scaring me yet I can't stop staring at it.

haha yeah i found myself in the same predicament the first time i saw "it" too, not sure what "it" really is, but i figured if i shared it someone might be able to shed some light on it... however, im a much bigger fan of my avatar, thats just plain funny
03-27-2008 08:51 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
Love that sig. It's a scene from Freaks, one of the most unforgettable movies of all time. Once you've seen it, you'll never forget it.

Gooble gobble gooble gus!
We will make you one of us.
Accepted! Accepted!
You are accepted.
Gooble gobble gooble gobble

Anyway,

Quote:At Wednesday's practice, redshirt freshman linebacker Pat Schiller intercepted a Chandler Harnish pass.

I fear this could lead to the return of the Schiller Fanatic.

Maybe we could start a new tradition where all the fans wear tukes when the team is on defense.

:stan::cartman::stan::cartman::stan::cartman::stan::cartman:
:cartman::stan::cartman::stan::cartman::stan::cartman::stan:
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2008 09:07 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
03-27-2008 09:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
Do wide recievers get "Butterfingers" when they drop the ball? Good thing Britt isn't practicing he would be gaining too much weight and getting too many cavities. 03-lmfao
03-27-2008 10:29 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RobertN Wrote:Do wide recievers get "Butterfingers" when they drop the ball? Good thing Britt isn't practicing he would be gaining too much weight and getting too many cavities. 03-lmfao

+1

True dat.
03-27-2008 10:39 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/...orts04.txt

Quote:Play of the Day...

Wide receiver Marcus Perez had the catch of the day on Wednesday at Northern Illinois spring practice with a one-handed grab on a 40-yard pass from quarterback Chandler Harnish with a defensive back draped on Perez.

In what should come as no surprise, it prompted wide receivers coach P.J. Fleck to sprint up the field to congratulate Perez. The Huskies will likely practice with pads for the first time this spring on Monday.
03-27-2008 10:39 AM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
epasnoopy Wrote:http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/...orts04.txt

Wide receiver Marcus Perez had the catch of the day on Wednesday at Northern Illinois spring practice with a one-handed grab on a 40-yard pass from quarterback Chandler Harnish with a defensive back draped on Perez.

In what should come as no surprise, it prompted wide receivers coach P.J. Fleck to sprint up the field to congratulate Perez. The Huskies will likely practice with pads for the first time this spring on Monday.
Are they sure it was a catch? Is there instant replay at practices? 03-wink
03-27-2008 10:54 AM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
aint chapter 12 bankruptcy?

what's a "tuke" to be worn?
03-27-2008 11:14 AM
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
Has anyone seen the catch Braylon Edwards made in practice. It was indoors, running flat out, caught the ball behind his back and when the DB went to slap it away he moved it around one handed and kept on running. If you go to You Tube I'll bet you can find it.
03-27-2008 11:15 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

Quote:what's a "tuke" to be worn?

Also known as a ski cap or skull cap.

Examples:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search.php?f...d_12&skd=1

http://www.collegefootballstore.com/defa...is_Huskies
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2008 11:31 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
03-27-2008 11:29 AM
Advertisement

cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Quote:Love that sig. It's a scene from Freaks, one of the most unforgettable movies of all time. Once you've seen it, you'll never forget it.

Just to clarify, when he says "you'll never forget it", it's in a "I remember how it felt to get shot in the kneecap"-type of remembrance, not "what a great misunderstood movie"-thing.

It's one of the few movies that requires a de-lousing after viewing.
03-27-2008 11:34 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

RE: Get Candy.
I keep thinking of Adam Sandler's cheap Halloween costumes.

Look at me. I'm cup head. I got this cup on my head. I must be crazy! Why don't you gimmie some candy?
03-27-2008 01:17 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Perez looked really, really good yesterday. Probably had the best practice of anyone.
03-27-2008 01:53 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

7 Wrote:

Perez looked really, really good yesterday. Probably had the best practice of anyone.

How do Harnish and Grady look at QB?

I'm thinking it took an equally impressive pass in order to throw a 40-yarder with a DB on his WR's back. Of course, he could have just overthrown it since i wasn't there to see it.
03-27-2008 02:00 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

epasnoopy Wrote:
7 Wrote:

I'm thinking it took an equally impressive pass in order to throw a 40-yarder with a DB on his WR's back. Of course, he could have just overthrown it since i wasn't there to see it.
Harnish was inconsistent but you can see his talent. Grady, not so good.

I'm not going to say anything else about practice. 03-shhhh
03-27-2008 02:02 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

7 Wrote:
epasnoopy Wrote:
7 Wrote:

Have the only been giving reps to Morris, Grady, and Harnish? Are they giving reps to Blalock? I know they're talking about him playing FB, but i would assume they'd give him a chance to play QB too.
03-27-2008 02:09 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

epasnoopy Wrote:
7 Wrote:
epasnoopy Wrote:
7 Wrote:

Have the only been giving reps to Morris, Grady, and Harnish? Are they giving reps to Blalock? I know they're talking about him playing FB, but i would assume they'd give him a chance to play QB too.
Nope, just those three. Blalock is spending all his time at FB.
03-27-2008 02:14 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Well, i'll be there tomorrow for practice myself. I'm interested in seeing how players are doing and who they have where.

Kind of sounds like if Grady doesn't get the hang of QB he could be asked to move to WR (or maybe he volunteers), especially with the incoming high school QB Brandon Rogers. That would give us three scholarship QB's to back up whoever is the starting QB.
03-27-2008 02:23 PM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Quote:I'm thinking it took an equally impressive pass in order to throw a 40-yarder with a DB on his WR's back.

We need to make sure that we properly document our hysteria when it comes time to annoint some random backup QB as far better than the starter:

"Remember that friggin' pass he threw 40 yards with the whole secondary covering Perez? Never seen nothin' like it! Kill's gotta be a real moron not to put him in!"

I'm the guy who spent a very cold fall of 1991 screaming, "Put in Rugai!" He did finally, by the way, and 4,000 adoring fans watched Rob Rugai defeat Illinois St.

We lost to Toledo the following week, and we still liked the backup QB. Some things never change.
03-27-2008 06:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.