Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"And the survey sez...".
Bookmark and Share
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
"And the survey sez...".
NIU staff in midst of responding to a survey from athletic department.

(Staff invited to attend Miami mbball game for $2.00)

don't understand how this survey is available online for anyone to answer....

http://www.vovici.com/wsb.dll

click on RESUME

why not present a similar survey to students at time of registration?

I'm anxious to learn results of the survey.
Will general apathy result in an even lower level of response than what's expected compared to other like staff surveys?

I am tempted to respond to the survey but if many outside of NIU staff do so, the results will be skewed.
Would that necessarily be a bad thing?
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2008 10:59 AM by cyberdawg.)
01-24-2008 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cagy cager Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: "And the survey sez...".
why $2.00? why not FREE? show your staff ID and come on in...there are plenty of seats to be had
01-24-2008 01:24 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

cagy cager Wrote:why $2.00? why not FREE? show your staff ID and come on in...there are plenty of seats to be had
Why not $2?
01-24-2008 02:17 PM
Husky Hub Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
The Link is not working for me.
01-24-2008 02:27 PM
NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I
A lot of my professors don't even live in Dekalb much less have an interest in sports. Unlike some other state schools, professors here don't seem to back the athletic teams. Kinda sad... when our athletic teams excel, the professors benefit just as much as the students.
01-24-2008 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
NIUtrav09 Wrote:A lot of my professors don't even live in Dekalb much less have an interest in sports. Unlike some other state schools, professors here don't seem to back the athletic teams. Kinda sad... when our athletic teams excel, the professors benefit just as much as the students.
Yeah there is an interesting dynamic in Dekalb, the university doesnt really tend to supports its athletics, and shockinly actually opposes it. We have seen that with the Northern star's extreme dislike of NIU athletics and it runs through much of the faculty also. I think these bad feelings to athletics were heightened with the building of the Convo center.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2008 05:21 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
01-24-2008 05:20 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
MaddDawgz02 Wrote:
NIUtrav09 Wrote:A lot of my professors don't even live in Dekalb much less have an interest in sports. Unlike some other state schools, professors here don't seem to back the athletic teams. Kinda sad... when our athletic teams excel, the professors benefit just as much as the students.
Yeah there is an interesting dynamic in Dekalb, the university doesnt really tend to supports its athletics, and shockinly actually opposes it. We have seen that with the Northern star's extreme dislike of NIU athletics and it runs through much of the faculty also. I think these bad feelings to athletics were heightened with the building of the Convo center.
Anybody know if the faculty member from the south(I want to say Georgia) still checks/posts on this site? Does he even work for NIU anymore? Mngmtprof(or something close to it?).
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2008 07:59 PM by RobertN.)
01-24-2008 07:49 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If he was intelligent, positive and respectful , we may have driven him off the island .
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2008 08:49 PM by cyberdawg.)
01-24-2008 08:48 PM
thewalrus Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
MaddDawgz02 Wrote:We have seen that with the Northern star's extreme dislike of NIU athletics and it runs through much of the faculty also.

what have you seen out of the star these last few semesters that makes you think they hate niu athletics?
01-24-2008 10:45 PM
NIUGAHuskie Offline
1st String

I don't know who your professors were, but most of mine supported athletics and encouraged NIU students to go to the games. Some even travelled. I had a math teacher that went to one of the Iowa State games and Poly Sci professor who went to the Michigan and Iowa games.
01-24-2008 11:16 PM
NIUMgmtProf Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
RobertN Wrote:
MaddDawgz02 Wrote:
Anybody know if the faculty member from the south(I want to say Georgia) still checks/posts on this site? Does he even work for NIU anymore? Mngmtprof(or something close to it?).

I'm still here. Just don't have as much time to post anymore. I really enjoy NIU sports, but I have been a bit disappointed by the faculty dynamic here (so few professors who live in DeKalb or even Sycamore, and are just disinterested in coming back into town to support our athletic programs), and I've been disappointed with the town/gown relationship as a whole. I'm glad I live in DeKalb, I like being in a university town, and being near the school, but this town certainly doesn't embrace the school like Athens embraced UGA. And, that is a shame.

Through 2007, I was part of a strategic planning roundtable that was put together by the new provost--for what it's worth JP was part of this as well, in fact we were in the same breakout group. Anytime athletics was mentioned it was really downplayed by the members of the panel, and no one really seemed interested in doing anything to build the programs, nor did they see the benefit of doing so. JP looked pretty frustrated, but I won't speak for him. I left those meetings disheartened, and felt it was best if I stayed away from here for a while for fear of posting something that might have gotten me in hot-water. (I did create a second account with a nebulous screenname so I could get some things of my chest freely--so I haven't been completely absent).

Anyway, I'll also admit I was probably the only person on this board who was disappointed that we ended up with an all-Saturday schedule last year. I know the weekday games were tough for many people, but as much as I enjoy Huskie football, I don't have the passion for it that I have for Georgia football, and I just couldn't bring myself to miss some of the big SEC games last year; probably will be the same this year. In fact, I'm already working on going to the UGA/LSU game in Baton Rouge with a faculty member who is an LSU grad.

Actually I think my favorite game this past year was the early game (Central Mich maybe)...tailgated, saw the game, home in time for the SEC games on TV. Other folks probably hated that arrangement. But, I do give my tickets away to families in my neighborhood, when I stay home to watch Georgia. Perhaps that may help breed some young Huskie fans...of course winning a few games would help, too.

For what it's worth, I've been asked to meet with a football recruit (verbal commit-I think) and his family on Saturday morning. It seems he is interested in some area of business but isn't quite sure which field. So, I'm going to spend some time with him on Saturday morning and show him around Barsema and talk about the different majors. I don't think I can say more than that, but I'll do my best to convince him this is place for him if he wants to study business.

I won't be able to support bball as much as I would like. We have a 6-week-old newborn in the house, and I'm spending as much time at home as I can to help the wife out. Maybe when the weather warms up, we'll all make it out to a few baseball games. I have one of the baseball players as a student this semester, so I'd like to go out and support him.

PS. I did fill out the survey. I support the athletic programs with my time (like this Saturday and other such things), attendance, and financially, so I'm not really the response frame they were looking for...but I did indicate that "fielding more competitive teams" would prompt me to be more supportive, or at least more satisfied with the investments I am making.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2008 11:37 AM by NIUMgmtProf.)
01-25-2008 11:26 AM
Advertisement

cagy cager Offline
1st String

great post, prof....it saddens me to think most profs do not understand how vital athletics is to the vibrancy of a university.....is there a way to get Dr. Phillips to address all staff at a meeting to lay out how athletics has a positive impact on number of applications, quality of enrollment, image, and donations to non-sports university programs? surely, the fact that a U of Michigan, Ohio State and even UGA put so much time, money and energy into supporting athletics must tell these educated folks that the stronger an athletics program, the more well rounded and respected a university is.....

by the way, prof, think about getting a DVR for your TV so you can see the Huskies live and watch UGA beat up the SEC on tape when you get home...........
01-25-2008 11:46 AM
Barber Greene Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU & UW-W
I think that most faculty and staff at a university are more interested in the sports programs of their alma mater(s) than their employer (if they are interested in sports at all)

Most on this board would still support the Huskies even if they worked for a university other than NIU...I know that I do

I see professors walking around the building with gear from their alma mater on
01-25-2008 12:10 PM
NIUMgmtProf Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
^ I think that is an accurate statement.

I will say this though...an exciting, winning tradition can alter that. At Georgia (I know we aren't UGA and I know the MAC is not the SEC), most faculty members I knew still supported their alma maters, but were all over Georgia football (the exceptions were Auburn, GA Tech, and Clemson alums--for two reasons: proximity, they get back there easily on Saturdays; and an deeply ingrained hostility toward Bulldog football).

The difference was that you couldn't live in Athens and not be caught up in the fever...that is missing here. But, to reiterate what I mentioned before, part of that comes with being consistently competitive (I hope that's where we are going), part of it comes from a vibrant alumni base that will come back, and another another vital part comes from the town (we come up short on those last two, and sadly, I don't think we will ever get there on the third).

Personally, I occasionally wear Georgia gear on non-teaching days, but I really make a concerted effort to wear NIU gear more. In fact, many people in Barsema have noticed that I have a tradition of wearing a red NIU shirt on Fridays of home games, and a black NIU shirt on Fridays prior to away games. If the atmosphere is ever going to get to the point that I would like for it to be, then I feel I have to do my part (that's why I try to wear NIU gear and talk up NIU sports to students and faculty)...when I finally give up hope, then I will put my NIU gear away and solely wear UGA, but until then I'm doing my part.
01-25-2008 12:30 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Prof,
U dah MAN !

Congrats on the newbie in your family.

Peters and JP go the distance IMO to promote how athletics is the front porch to the university and a lens thru which many on the outside then recognize and respect a University . General public transfers that athletic success and awareness to the broader university and its mission.

Some apparently think NIU should become the Harvard or UChicago of the midwest and de-emphasize athletics.

I suspect many faculty members feel as though the time and energies spent by President and JP {and their predecessors} to promote Huskie athletics, a world class experience and academic success could be better spent on their own departmental kingdoms, needs and priorities.. Perhaps many don't get nor want to get how valuable the athletic exposure & success can become to a university given NIU lacks much of a sports identity beyond students, parents, alums, staff and some community members. It's a dog chasing its own tail - pun intended.

Hopefully the efforts of President and AD will gradually lead to greater athletic success and a recognition by faculty & staff what exposure & respect can do to further the university's primary mission.

I do wanna believe the times are a changin' -slowly - forward together forward - NIU faculty , alums & Dekalb must and will move into an even brighter future. Overcoming resistance and inertia is never easy nor quickly achieved.

Persistence and Consistency among leaders on campus will yield dividends to Huskie athletics and the U as a whole.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2008 01:08 PM by cyberdawg.)
01-25-2008 12:52 PM
CowboysNiuFan31245 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cowboys & NIU
prof i have to say that if i had you as a teacher i think you would be one of my favorites. +1,000 04-rock

I don't know guys I agree with everything that has been said. I know were not northwestern but even they have decent crowds for basketball and football. Espn classic had a ohio vrs. kent state basketball game and they had way better attendance then we do. I go to just about ever mens and womens basketball games and football games. I have been so disappointed with the turnout time and time again. I do agree winning brings fans but really will it? But i do want it to be know i will continue to go to games for the rest of my time here and will continue to support after. I want to be a sportscaster so I will always give this school love. You can count on that.
01-25-2008 01:12 PM
Advertisement

cagy cager Offline
1st String

yes, winning does and will translate into attendence: when Kenny Battle, TJ Lux, the Molinari-whiteside-Thomas teams and going back to Rayhorn & armato teams, great crowds were the norm......win and play exciting bball and the folks will show up.....we got the latter already in patton's style and methinks we are on track for the winning part in the not too distant future.

I agree with what was said about mgmt--he would definately be my favorite prof and i truly respect his showing his support to NIU on game days.......maybe the President could suggest (recommend?) that most or all faculty do the same regularly.
01-25-2008 01:29 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

cyberdawg Wrote:I suspect many faculty members feel as though the time and energies spent by President and JP {and their predecessors} to promote Huskie athletics, a world class experience and academic success could be better spent on their own departmental kingdoms, needs and priorities..

I say this tongue in cheek, but - if wierd ass departments like (insert current strange department) Studies don't have to support Huskie Athletics, then I don't have to support wierd ass academic departments.....

Then we'd be even.

How any professor doesn't understand that successful athletics, hell even moderately succesful programs just some of the time, can enhance their very own teaching, research and reputation is beyond me.

As an example, when you are watching some show on the Discovery Channel and some academic comes on screen, and they ID their school, subconsiously I (and I am sure MANY others) correlate the academic's reputation with the reputation of the school, and the reputation of the school is so very often directly related to the schools athletic success. I say it because it is true........

NIUMgmtProf - have you ever thought of starting, or is there, a Academics Supporting Athletics group? Get a bunch of pipe smoking, tweed wearing, glasses having professors with an interest in sports tailgating at the front gates of the Stadium? Or honestly, would this be a bad "political" move?
01-25-2008 02:22 PM
NIUMgmtProf Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
- - - - - - - -
NIUMgmtProf - have you ever thought of starting, or is there, a Academics Supporting Athletics group? Get a bunch of pipe smoking, tweed wearing, glasses having professors with an interest in sports tailgating at the front gates of the Stadium? Or honestly, would this be a bad "political" move?
- - - - - - - -

Well, several of us already tailgate together on the East Side of the stadium, up near the gates just under the "H" in Huskie Stadium. There are some fairly significant members of the university community that are there with us, including the Vice Provost...but, for the most part we aren't the "pipe smoking, tweed wearing, glasses having" type, so we are eschewed by our haughtier cohort. We tend to the cigar smoking, beer-drinking, bourbon-swilling end of the spectrum (or at least I do).

For example--completely off subject, but it might perhaps give a bit of insight as to how much I don't fit that profile. I had to go to the library to pick up a book I had placed on reserve. It was nice day, so I walked from Barsema to the library and back. It's not a short walk, and on a day when I was busier, I don't know if I would have had the time. So, as I am checking out, I ask the student-worker if there is a form I could fill out that would allow my TA to check out books for me. So, I guess what she heard didn't match what she saw, and her brain just had to choose one to go with...so, here was her response, "Sure, just take this form back to the professor you work for and have him fill it out, and then you can check out books for him"
"Whoa, hold on there sweetie, I'm the professor, I'm asking if my TA can check out books for me."
"Oh, I'm sorry, you just didn't look all uptight and snotty like most of the professors around here."
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2008 02:47 PM by NIUMgmtProf.)
01-25-2008 02:36 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

touche', prof! perhaps there are more of your ilk than you think so maybe the idea that Lord Stanley threw out about forming a group like "Academics for Athletics" might be more doable than originally thought.....could you run such an idea up the flagpole with the President or your vice provost colleague or JP????
01-25-2008 02:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.