Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Impact of New Stadium
Bookmark and Share
Zip81 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Akron-BGSU-MAC
Impact of New Stadium
Column by the Beacon Journal's Terry Pluto.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/pluto/9049382.html
08-09-2007 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

J-BIDDY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Akron Zips
RE: Impact of New Stadium
That article is not half bad! hopefully the research that Mack Rhoades and his team did will prove accurate. And people will come out because it is not at the Rubber Bowl and that the games will now be played at a state-of-the-art facility!
08-09-2007 09:13 AM
Zip81 Offline
Special Teams

J-BIDDY Wrote:That article is not half bad! hopefully the research that Mack Rhoades and his team did will prove accurate. And people will come out because it is not at the Rubber Bowl and that the games will now be played at a state-of-the-art facility!

The guys on Zipsnation hate the article...check it out.

Hey J...what's that guy doing in your Avatar?

Did he drink some gas or something?

Thanks
08-09-2007 02:51 PM
Advertisement

J-BIDDY Offline
2nd String

I was reading up on Zipsnation, they were ripping it apart in regards to the mayor being an intrical part of the process and that Ohio State is the only team that matters on Saturday. I am hopeful that the university gave Pluto the impression that the mayor was an intrical part of the process to try and smooth things over with him since he wanted the stadium downtown. Also my thoughts in regards about the Ohio State comment, that is the truth in Ohio, do I agree with it? No! Do I wish he would quit writing that stuff? Yes! I wish he would favor the Zips more since this is an Akron paper less then 5 minutes from the center of campus but papers report on what people want to read and unfortunately people want to read about OSU.

Now about the Avatar. He lit a shot of alcohol on fire and downed it. The alcohol stayed on fire and started burning him. I was cracking up on how dumb he was! Oh well, you live and you learn I guess!
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2007 07:18 AM by J-BIDDY.)
08-10-2007 07:17 AM
Zip81 Offline
Special Teams

J-BIDDY Wrote:I was reading up on Zipsnation, they were ripping it apart in regards to the mayor being an intrical part of the process and that Ohio State is the only team that matters on Saturday. I am hopeful that the university gave Pluto the impression that the mayor was an intrical part of the process to try and smooth things over with him since he wanted the stadium downtown. Also my thoughts in regards about the Ohio State comment, that is the truth in Ohio, do I agree with it? No! Do I wish he would quit writing that stuff? Yes! I wish he would favor the Zips more since this is an Akron paper less then 5 minutes from the center of campus but papers report on what people want to read and unfortunately people want to read about OSU.

Now about the Avatar. He lit a shot of alcohol on fire and downed it. The alcohol stayed on fire and started burning him. I was cracking up on how dumb he was! Oh well, you live and you learn I guess!

Wow...those Lone Star parties can get out of hand!
03-lmfao
08-10-2007 11:40 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I haven't gone over to Zipnation, but I liked the comment about using the stadium for other things like high school football.

EMU has begun to have a bunch of high school games played on the last Saturday in August at Rynearson.

I believe it will be 8 high schools within say 30 - 45 minute drive of Ypsilanti.

Very smart. It will get high school FB players, their parents, high school students, etc. to Ryearson.

Maybe Akron can do something similar for the new stadium.

When it comes to recruiting, MAC schools rarely hit home runs, need to play 'small ball' - go for a single here, steal a base there, etc. and try to get it done.

This may be out of context for this thread, but EMU is doing something really good re: women's hoops. The '08 and '09 girls STATE high school tourney (semis and finals) will be at EMU's Convo Center.

Could Akron host some of the high school football playoffs at the new stadium?
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2007 06:50 AM by emu steve.)
08-12-2007 06:46 AM
Zip81 Offline
Special Teams

The Rubber Bowl has been used for High School football for years. The Akron City Series teams used to play a double header there every Friday night.

It has also been used for state football championship games...although I think in recent years most of the games have been played at either Fawcett Stadium in Canton or Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Massillon.

So UA hosting high school sports in their stadium is a long-standing tradition.

That's why we've always had turf in the bowl...as will the new stadium.

I'm not sure how much it has tied the local players with UA since the Rubber Bowl is viewed as a city resource. Such will not be the case with the new stadium. I think having the high school games there will be a nice way to introduce them to the university.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2007 09:53 AM by Zip81.)
08-12-2007 09:52 AM
Advertisement

J-BIDDY Offline
2nd String

Zip81 Wrote:I think having the high school games there will be a nice way to introduce them to the university.

I absolutely 100% agree and I hope your right, I hope those upper teir players play at the stadium and decide to continue on in college there instead of going down to dumb*** State!
08-16-2007 12:58 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
quote:

"The Rubber Bowl has been used for High School football for years. The Akron City Series teams used to play a double header there every Friday night."

The only problem is that it probably was a negative, not a positive, given what the Rubber Bowl is. 03-weeping

If things can be worked out at the new stadium that would be a big +.

I remember in '94 (?) EMU hosted the national ABCD summer hoop camp at Bowen Field House. This and Nike were the two premier summer camps for high school players from around the country.

Bowen was an old barn and the temps that week in SE Michigan were mid-90s and humid.

Bowen has no AC.

It was a negative for EMU hoops. 03-hissyfit

Former UofM coach Steve Fisher told me he changed shirts 3 times a day.

It was that bad!!

I hated it too.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2007 06:01 AM by emu steve.)
08-17-2007 06:00 AM
Advertisement

Zip81 Offline
Special Teams

Back in the day (don't know how the kids today feel about it) but playing at the Rubber Bowl was always special. The large stadium, astro turf, usually big crowd. So playing there was great, however, it was so far from campus, it was difficult to feel any connection to the university.

Even in its current condition, I would think today's kids find it special to play there instead of their little fields.

Through the years, even after the city sold the bowl to the U for a buck, the perception is that the Rubber Bowl is a community venue rather than a University one.
08-17-2007 08:29 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
So, is it still going to cost to park in a field, in the ghetto again this year?
08-24-2007 08:29 PM
J-BIDDY Offline
2nd String

AlphaFlash Wrote:So, is it still going to cost to park in a field, in the ghetto again this year?

What are you talking about? We aren't playing at Dix Stadium this year! 04-chairshot lol!

Yes you will have to park next to the airport or on the softball diamonds this year and yes it will cost you money, and that is sad that you think George Washington Blvd is the ghetto, apparently you hippies don't venture out much. Go smoke some hash! lol!
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2007 03:01 PM by J-BIDDY.)
08-26-2007 02:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.