Did the refs cause Memphis to lose?
Bookmark and Share
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

I think not
03-07-2004 12:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

"Caused" - No - but they did affect the psychology of the fans and maybe even the teams - pro and con. And 'the call' - it had to be the worst call I have even seen as a fan. There was nothing there that would lead a reasonable mind to reverse the call and everything there to confirm a 3 pointer. Every TV angle clearly showed Banks 2 or 3 inches behind the line. I tell you, I can't even imagine how they reviewed and saw anything that would lead them to change the call.
03-07-2004 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1125 Offline
Heisman

Thank You...Refs don't cause teams to lose no matter how bad they are!
03-07-2004 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

And another thing - this Memphis team is tougher than that. They're not the sort of team that folds after a miss call by the refs.
03-07-2004 12:21 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

Well the fans sure do.
03-07-2004 12:23 PM
daddyodewy Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Absolutely not. In my opinion, a lack of defensive rebounds cost us the game. We rebound even remotely reasonably and we win by4/6/8 points.
03-07-2004 12:35 PM
Advertisement

plaidtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Folding@NCAAbbs

No, we did not loose because of the refs. We got outrebounded and Cincinnati hit they shots they had to in order to win. We did not. But you have to admit, if some of those calls would have gone our way then our chances of winning would have improved. Anyways, good luck against ECU Thursday. :D
03-07-2004 12:36 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

Thats what Calipari said:"If we could have rebounded in the second half we could have won"

<a href='http://www.ucbearcats.com/releases/attachments/200436194371291378517-1.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.ucbearcats.com/releases/attachm...291378517-1.pdf</a>
03-07-2004 12:37 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

ECU? I am thinking more along the lines of Louisville
03-07-2004 12:39 PM
plaidtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Folding@NCAAbbs

Reeeaally????

Main Entry:sarcasm
Pronunciation:*s*r-*ka-z*m
Function:noun
Etymology:French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar*s- to cut
Date:1550

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
03-07-2004 12:48 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

I know it's obvious Louisville (Loserville) will win.
03-07-2004 12:50 PM
Advertisement

AtlantaDave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis

We had our chances.
03-07-2004 12:51 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

Where are all the ref blamers?
03-07-2004 12:54 PM
SteveCConway Offline
Memphis Psycho, er, I mean Administrator

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

CrappiesFolding@NCAAbbs

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:I think not
I don't blame the refs for costing us the game.

We blame the refs for creating a situation in the final 5 minutes that made it VERY difficult for us to win.

The simple takeaway of that 3 pointer changed how the game was played the rest of the way because it was a 1 point or 2 point lead for us much of the rest of the way until the final few minutes when it should have been a 3 or 4 point lead.

It changed the way players may have played or took shots.

Plus the intentional foul call on Arthur Barclay also changed the game. It was not intentional. Barclay just outweighs that guy he hit by about 90 pounds. It was clear Barclay went for the ball and the momentum of his body weight caused your player to be knocked into the stands. It was a very hard and unfortunate foul, but to call it intentional was wrong.

That being said, had we just rebounded we would have been fine. You guys were missing every first shot in the 2nd half but kept getting the rebound and having a second opportunity and pretty much scored on that 2nd shot every time. We just kept scoring on the first shot and couldn't rebound our few misses.
03-07-2004 01:08 PM
WILD4CATS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati

Oh,but the shot by Kirkland that should have been a continuation didn't affect anything...Face it refs blow calls all the time and we get upset about it.....I wasn't happy with the touch fouls at the end,and those almost cost us the game...Hopefully we'll see a rematch in the tournament....
03-07-2004 01:27 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

Yeah, and I guess we will have to beat you again
03-07-2004 01:29 PM
Advertisement

JTStacy Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

SCConway Wrote:
UCBearcats1125 Wrote:I think not
I don't blame the refs for costing us the game.

We blame the refs for creating a situation in the final 5 minutes that made it VERY difficult for us to win.

The simple takeaway of that 3 pointer changed how the game was played the rest of the way because it was a 1 point or 2 point lead for us much of the rest of the way until the final few minutes when it should have been a 3 or 4 point lead.

It changed the way players may have played or took shots.

Plus the intentional foul call on Arthur Barclay also changed the game. It was not intentional. Barclay just outweighs that guy he hit by about 90 pounds. It was clear Barclay went for the ball and the momentum of his body weight caused your player to be knocked into the stands. It was a very hard and unfortunate foul, but to call it intentional was wrong.

That being said, had we just rebounded we would have been fine. You guys were missing every first shot in the 2nd half but kept getting the rebound and having a second opportunity and pretty much scored on that 2nd shot every time. We just kept scoring on the first shot and couldn't rebound our few misses.
Did they cost us the game, no. Did they have an effect on it, you betcha.
It is my understanding of the flagrant foul call is that the player is making NO attempt at the ball. Barclay reached over him, hit him hard and MADE CONTACT with the ball. That was a hard foul not a flagrant one. If you want to call "intentional" fouls then you can whistle every play in the last minute as "intentional" but that isn't the spirit of the rule. The rule is to keep players from taking players out w/o regard for the ball. Barclay was within the rules only to have it assessed improperly by the officials. I refer to this kind of play as "Shaq Rules." You can push and shove as long as your bigger. As I stated in a previous thread, as long as UC can push and shove down low w/o it being called, you'll win. That's the way you play. I just don't think it is within the actual rules but it is allowed. Maybe we need to call Tommy West and get Albert Means to play center so he can shove people around.
To answer your question about officials, yes they can. Ask the Grizzlies who have lost 3 games as a direct result of bad calls in the last 3 seconds of a game. We got screwed by calls on two occasions yesterday which did change the complexion of the game. If you disagree w/ that, you're the one with red colored glasses on.
You won, enjoy it. Because if you get past uofmanyls (TMtj) on Thursday, you'll be looking an angry Tiger square in the eye.
03-07-2004 01:32 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

Refs effect every game...It is up to the teams to adjust to how the refs are calling the game
03-07-2004 01:35 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

Does the NBA really matter?
03-07-2004 01:37 PM
JTStacy Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:Refs effect every game...It is up to the teams to adjust to how the refs are calling the game
Do you not see something wrong w/ that? Aren't the rules supposed to be the same for every game? That's the purpose of having rules.
03-07-2004 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.