Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northern Star - Best of DeKalb
Bookmark and Share
fathuskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Northern Star - Best of DeKalb
Just thought you would like to know that the Star is once again having it's Best of DeKalb voting.

Here is the link, and I believe that voting ends this weekend...

http://www.northernstar.info/bod
02-03-2007 12:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies

I voted Fatty's in 3 different categories (best bar, best burger, and best place to watch sports).

Best Kept Secret: NIU Football (seriously, DeKalb/Sycamore town-folk are lacking in support of NIU in general)
02-03-2007 01:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rabidawg900 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: We Are Huskies

Voting ends on Friday
02-05-2007 01:37 PM
julianNIU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Best kept secret: Bea's Wok and Roll, viet cuisine, right next to jewel osco

if you have never been there, the try it! the crab rangoon undeniably awesome and so are the potstickers and everything else.
02-05-2007 08:39 PM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:

epasnoopy Wrote:I voted Fatty's in 3 different categories (best bar, best burger, and best place to watch sports).

Best Kept Secret: NIU Football (seriously, DeKalb/Sycamore town-folk are lacking in support of NIU in general)

You'll never guess what won "Best Kept Secret"...

Sigma Nu Fraternity
02-17-2007 08:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators

Kedzman Wrote:
epasnoopy Wrote:I voted Fatty's in 3 different categories (best bar, best burger, and best place to watch sports).

Sigma Nu Fraternity
stuffing the ballot box.
02-17-2007 08:37 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

What were all the results?
02-17-2007 08:44 PM
nnhsniuhuskies37 Offline
Banned

I Root For: NIU & Cubbies

HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
Kedzman Wrote:

Sigma Nu Fraternity
stuffing the ballot box.

honestly its not a diss toward Sigma Nu but if thats true then im completely surprised because no one likes the greeks on this campus i mean my fraternity one 2 IFC awards (Most Congenial Chapter, and Honorable Mention best Chapter) and people still think that all fraternities are nothing but Drunks basically
02-17-2007 09:22 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators

julianNIU Wrote:Best kept secret: Bea's Wok and Roll, viet cuisine, right next to jewel osco

if you have never been there, the try it! the crab rangoon undeniably awesome and so are the potstickers and everything else.

+1 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow

Also, the Spicy Catfish on Fridays and the Chicken Tomato Garlic Soup, usually at least once a week!
02-17-2007 10:05 PM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:

epasnoopy Wrote:What were all the results?

I have no idea. The only reason I know about the "Best Kept Secret" is because I had a conversation with our chapter president and he told me about it. Evidently, he was contacted by a NS writer for an interview. Adam was quite surprised about it. At first, he wasn't sure if he should be flattered or offended.
02-18-2007 09:58 AM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:

nnhsniuhuskies37 Wrote:
HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
Kedzman Wrote:

Sigma Nu Fraternity
stuffing the ballot box.

honestly its not a diss toward Sigma Nu but if thats true then im completely surprised because no one likes the greeks on this campus i mean my fraternity one 2 IFC awards (Most Congenial Chapter, and Honorable Mention best Chapter) and people still think that all fraternities are nothing but Drunks basically

You make a very good point... Then again, take a look at the types of awards Phi Kappa Psi and Sigma Nu are winning. Most Congenial is a great award. Our organizations are the top two academic performers out of 15 fraternities, also.

It is no surprise that we are also the two newest fraternities on campus. Neither of our groups started chapters because we wanted to be like all the existing fraternities at NIU. We both wanted to start something new, different and better. Most of the time, we will be lumped into the same category of NIU fraternities and all the bad stereotypes that go with that. But for those who are paying attention - they see we are different and we are winning their respect.
02-18-2007 10:03 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

nnhsniuhuskies37 Wrote:
HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
Kedzman Wrote:

Sigma Nu Fraternity
stuffing the ballot box.

I agree nobody likes frats. The reason is over the years, the actions of many of the frats has been dismal. Yes, many still think they are drunk 24/7. Nothing these groups have done over the years had done much to change this view. How many have been :banned: over the last 10 years? Why?
02-18-2007 10:10 AM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:

RobertN Wrote:
nnhsniuhuskies37 Wrote:
HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
Kedzman Wrote:

Sigma Nu Fraternity
stuffing the ballot box.

I agree nobody likes frats. The reason is over the years, the actions of many of the frats has been dismal. Yes, many still think they are drunk 24/7. Nothing these groups have done over the years had done much to change this view. How many have been :banned: over the last 10 years? Why?

They are not all 100% bad. That is painting with a pretty broad brush. I thought you liberals weren't so judgemental. Isn't that a little "intolerant"?

Sigma Nu has a 3.06 cummulative GPA - highest on campus.
The president of the student government is a Sigma Nu
The president of the College Republicans is a Sigma Nu
Two of the band members in Campus Crusade for Christ are Sigma Nu's
Several of our members are in the NIU honors program
They serve at the PADS homeless shelter in Aurora and participate in several other community service endeavors.

Unfortunately, we are not going to make the paper for any of these accommplishments. If one of our guys got out of line, however, we'd probably make the front page of the NS.

We have quality men doing quality things at NIU. Unfortunately, people like yourself want to lump us in with the rest. Our guys haven't done anything to deserve your disdain. Are you capable of making judgements on a case by case basis, Robert?
02-18-2007 03:38 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

Kedzman Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
nnhsniuhuskies37 Wrote:
HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
Kedzman Wrote:

Sigma Nu Fraternity
stuffing the ballot box.

They are not all 100% bad. That is painting with a pretty broad brush. I thought you liberals weren't so judgemental. Isn't that a little "intolerant"?

They serve at the PADS homeless shelter in Aurora and participate in several other community service endeavors.

Unfortunately, we are not going to make the paper for any of these accommplishments. If one of our guys got out of line, however, we'd probably make the front page of the NS.

We have quality men doing quality things at NIU. Unfortunately, people like yourself want to lump us in with the rest. Our guys haven't done anything to deserve your disdain. Are you capable of making judgements on a case by case basis, Robert?
It may be a brush stroke but it is in no way broad.
02-18-2007 04:08 PM
NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I

Kedzman Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:
nnhsniuhuskies37 Wrote:
HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
Kedzman Wrote:

Sigma Nu Fraternity
stuffing the ballot box.

For all you frat-haters, he makes a valid point about the NS.

With all due respect to other fraternity members on this board, I will say that Sigma Nu is one of the most well respected fraternities at NIU. This will be even more true when they get their own house and become more well known.
02-18-2007 04:21 PM
nnhsniuhuskies37 Offline
Banned

I Root For: NIU & Cubbies

RobertN Wrote:
nnhsniuhuskies37 Wrote:
HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
Kedzman Wrote:

Sigma Nu Fraternity
stuffing the ballot box.

like i said we havent done anything to get a bad wrap for fraternities either, we have won 2 of 5 IFC awards, have done close to 500 per semestercommunity service hours without being told to, have varying amounts of events such as Relay for Life, a Annual Blood drive, MS Walk, YMCA Halloween party, and Painting the Womens shelter later this semester and bell ringing during the holidays just to name a few events we do, We also have the VP of Recruitment for IFC in our fraternity and he is completely re doing the formal rush process to improve it from years past, and finally we recently got our Charter accepted and will leave colony status and become a full Chapter on April 21st and we have never been on any type of suspension or ban so my fraternity likewise has not done anything that would be called "typical fraternity"
02-18-2007 04:38 PM
Advertisement

freehuskie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Since when is being a young republican or a member of the campus crusade for christ an accomplishment?
I would say that both rank with walking upright and the latter with breathing stale air. Both major accomplishments in NIU's campus politik.
02-19-2007 04:56 PM
Kedzman Offline
All American

I Root For:

freehuskie Wrote:Since when is being a young republican or a member of the campus crusade for christ an accomplishment?
I would say that both rank with walking upright and the latter with breathing stale air. Both major accomplishments in NIU's campus politik.

I'll speak to the members of Campus Crusade for Christ... It is an accomplishment when young men can stand up for their faith without apology on a liberal, secular campus at a time in our Nations history when morality, virtue and faith are humiliated while promiscuity, drunkenness and all mater of paganism is exhalted. I respect principled men - who gladly defer pleasure to honor Godly standard while the masses rush into folly.

If you really want to be a counter-culture figure on a college campus - GO TO CHURCH.
02-19-2007 11:23 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators

Kedzman Wrote:
freehuskie Wrote:Since when is being a young republican or a member of the campus crusade for christ an accomplishment?

I'll speak to the members of Campus Crusade for Christ... It is an accomplishment when young men can stand up for their faith without apology on a liberal, secular campus at a time in our Nations history when morality, virtue and faith are humiliated while promiscuity, drunkenness and all mater of paganism is exhalted. I respect principled men - who gladly defer pleasure to honor Godly standard while the masses rush into folly.

If you really want to be a counter-culture figure on a college campus - GO TO CHURCH.
What happens when someone stands up for their faith and then gets assualted because they do not belive some long haired hippie is our savior?
02-20-2007 03:11 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

Kedzman Wrote:

A couple things, you and if they are anything like you, you speak for "Jesus Camp" "Christians" not REAL Christians. Also, does one have to go to church to be a good Christian? Can someone who reads/studies and generally lives their life by the Bible?
02-20-2007 07:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.