Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What will be most improved?
Bookmark and Share
Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

What do you think will improve the most next season?

P.S.Swamp, I tried posting this in the football section but it was screwen up, I was seein if you could switch it to that folder.
04-03-2004 09:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Has to be the running game, since the running backs have another year underneath them and the O-Line got major help in the offseason. Also with Venible coming in, and that new FB McCall, the running game can only improve next year. Which will help the passing game, next year also.
04-04-2004 12:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

I voted for the O-line because even with the graduation of Batiste and Perrone and the loss of Brooks our depth and overall quality will be so much better than the past 5 to 7 years. Of course this improved line will also improve our running game. At this point of the year I am more concerned with our defense than offense. In particular our D-line, Travis Ferguson did not participate in most of the spring due to an injury, Justin Taylor was limited by injuries and did not play in the spring game, Curtis Isaac was limited by injuries but did play today. That is three guys we desperately need to be healthly come August. Mike Moore (as CM2 mentioned in another post played very well today especially considering he has been on the O-line for the past 3 season) could add depth but I am not certain his move there is permanent. At Defensive end, we have 3 guys we know we can count on (Bass, Hills and Kwarteng) we are going to need at least 1 of the guys coming in the fall to step up (Bradley, Nelson or Hardaway) and maybe Bridges at DT if any of the above mentioned DT's cannot come back 100%. IF all the guys coming in the fall are as good as advertised and IF the guys who are hurt now can get healthy, I think the D-line will see a huge improvement. If not it will be a long season for Marshall, Kendrick, Eugene, Travis and Tony.
04-04-2004 12:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bigearl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Running game should be much improved over last year. I think LeVier will end up starting before the 4th game even though Lindon seems to be doing well. I hear a lot about Venable at FB. I thought Cones was the starter, so is JV even going to get any PT?
04-06-2004 02:23 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

bigearl Wrote:Running game should be much improved over last year. I think LeVier will end up starting before the 4th game even though Lindon seems to be doing well. I hear a lot about Venable at FB. I thought Cones was the starter, so is JV even going to get any PT?
I think Venable has looked very good at FB especially considering that he has never played there before (his Dad gave me that inside info :D ). However, I do not see him passing Cones on the depth chart (he had a vey good spring game) and if the new JC FB we signed is as good as advertised I see Justin as the 3rd string FB. Does that mean he won't get any PT there? I would bet that he sees alot of playing time there. He was making some crushing blocks all spring and I think having played defense so long has to help him. His pass catching ability really suprised me. I can see him lining up in a power I situation along with Cones and 1 of the HB's in the backfield in short yardage situations. I think even my slow a$$ could pick up a first down following Venable and Cones into the line :D You (we) cannot have too many good players.
04-06-2004 04:30 PM
Advertisement

CajunGuru Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

"I voted for the O-line because even with the graduation of Batiste and Perrone and the loss of Brooks our depth and overall quality will be so much better than the past 5 to 7 years. Of course this improved line will also improve our running game. At this point of the year I am more concerned with our defense than offense. In particular our D-line, Travis Ferguson did not participate in most of the spring due to an injury, Justin Taylor was limited by injuries and did not play in the spring game, Curtis Isaac was limited by injuries but did play today. That is three guys we desperately need to be healthly come August. Mike Moore (as CM2 mentioned in another post played very well today especially considering he has been on the O-line for the past 3 season) could add depth but I am not certain his move there is permanent. At Defensive end, we have 3 guys we know we can count on (Bass, Hills and Kwarteng) we are going to need at least 1 of the guys coming in the fall to step up (Bradley, Nelson or Hardaway) and maybe Bridges at DT if any of the above mentioned DT's cannot come back 100%. IF all the guys coming in the fall are as good as advertised and IF the guys who are hurt now can get healthy, I think the D-line will see a huge improvement. If not it will be a long season for Marshall, Kendrick, Eugene, Travis and Tony."

Swamphound, Bradley is up to 270 lbs. right now, so look for him to play some inside as well. Nelson and Hardaway will both get a shot at playing as true freshmen. Coachs told me , Bridges will be red-shirted. Coaches were not happy with Ferguson because he had put on to much weight , 295. He needs to get healthy and serious about his weight.

Inside

Joe Bradley 6-5,270
Ken Haynes 6-5,295
Marshall Deleddernier 6-1,285
Curtis Isaac 6-2,285
Travis Ferguson 6-2,285

Depth
Clay Bridges 6-5,270
Mike Moore 6-3,330
Shane Johnson 6-1,290
Justin Taylor 6-2,270

Outside

Travis Bass 6-1,240
Eugene Kwarteng 6-4,250
Tony Hills 6-4,240
Elisah Nelson 6-3,235
Hardaway 6-3,230
Clay Rudick 6-3,235
04-06-2004 06:57 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

If you were able to go to the spring game, what did you think of Mike Moore's play at DT? The 2 times I saw Ferguson during the spring he did appear to have gained weight. You are correct, he needs to get serious and get into playing shape.
04-06-2004 07:03 PM
Advertisement

bigearl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Thanks for the post about Venable. I agree with you, that he might see some action in short yardage situations. I just think (and I'm sure you'll agree) that Cones is more of a running threat and not a bad lead blocker either!!!!!!
04-07-2004 11:06 AM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

After watching the Spring Game, I am now 100% confident that the running game will be our most improved aspect of our team. Watching guys like Lindon, Harrison, Venable, Levier, etc. carry the ball and running all over the field sure makes me feel a lot better about this season. I've always believed that if you run the ball effectively, you got a pretty doggone good shot at winning every game.
04-07-2004 12:05 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

bigearl Wrote:I just think (and I'm sure you'll agree) that Cones is more of a running threat and not a bad lead blocker either!!!!!!
I completely agree. 03-cool
04-07-2004 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.