Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Your first UL memory
Bookmark and Share
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

Here's something that could pass the time. What is your first memory of a UL sporting event? For me, its going to the U(S)L/UMass basketball game in the CajunDome. I also remember a few football games, but can't remember which ones came first.
06-12-2004 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

The earliest I can remember even though I know it's not the first one, was the A&M game.
06-12-2004 09:10 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

1994 at home vs. UNLV in football. Seems they had a punter who looked like the former Kentucky QB (Jared Lorenzen?) and we students were really giving him hell. We won 28-27. 04-cheers
06-12-2004 09:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaginCajun77 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I went to football games in 1995 but nothing really stands out. The first memory I have is U(S)L vs. Texas A&M in 1996. The stadium was packed that evening. I remember the poster schedule from that year that said if USL beats Texas A&M Don allen would shave his head. I remember the excitement in the air. The big defensive plays by the team. The sweetness came with the biggest upset in Cajun History in my opinion.

In the following years I came to miss the excitement of that night, but now I can see that the excitement is building.
06-12-2004 11:08 PM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization

Geez you guys are young.

My earliest memories of Cajun athletics were going to see Toney in Blackham, going to numerous Mcneese games with my Dad, and listening to a basketball game on the radio. I remember Don Allen complaining how cold it was. I think it was vs. Marquette in the tourney.

You see. This is the way to do it. Get 'em hooked when they are young. Trying to attract adult fans to become Cajun fans is a lot like deprogramming brainwashed cult members.
06-13-2004 09:29 AM
cajundawg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The first UL sporting event that I can remember is a football game in 1995 vs. Louisiana Tech. The cajuns won 40-33 Jake threw for something like 371 yards and Brandon Stokely had a great day catching the football. I remember Jake hooking up with Brandon on a spectacular touchdown catch in the final minutes to beat Tech.
06-14-2004 04:47 PM
Advertisement

SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

cajundawg Wrote:The first UL sporting event that I can remember is a football game in 1995 vs. Louisiana Tech. The cajuns won 40-33 Jake threw for something like 371 yards and Brandon Stokely had a great day catching the football. I remember Jake hooking up with Brandon on a spectacular touchdown catch in the final minutes to beat Tech.
I remember that game very well. One of my favorites.
06-14-2004 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zeester Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

OK guys wake up!!!!

Hows about UL at home vs Colo St in late 80's? Brian Mitchell throws for over 300, rushes for over 200.

Early 80's homecoming vs ULM. Down 26-0 at half, Dwight Prudhomme opens the second half with a 60 yd qb sneak TD.

Cajuns score 40 unanswered to win 40-26.

1980 at Rice.....Clarence Verdin returns 2 kicks for tds. Cajuns win 28-21(maybe 21-14).....First win over a Major College team.

Rice was still in the Southwest Conference then.

Basketball....

beating Marquette at Blackham in the NITs was awesome.
Rick Majerus chewed out Marquette fans for sitting on their hands.
Said they should use the USL fans as an example.....article printed in the Milwaukee Sentinal.

Dion Brown hitting last second shot to beat UAB for first post season win since death penalty.

Games at Blackham were unmatched..........

The Cajundome pales in comparison.

Z.
06-14-2004 06:55 PM
zeester Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

sorry, I listed more than 1 game.

Am I going to be booted from the board?

:^)

Z.
06-14-2004 06:57 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

zeester Wrote:sorry, I listed more than 1 game.

Am I going to be booted from the board?

:^)

Z.
never 03-cool
06-14-2004 10:24 PM
Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

zeester Wrote:OK guys wake up!!!!

Hows about UL at home vs Colo St in late 80's? Brian Mitchell throws for over 300, rushes for over 200.

Early 80's homecoming vs ULM. Down 26-0 at half, Dwight Prudhomme opens the second half with a 60 yd qb sneak TD.

Cajuns score 40 unanswered to win 40-26.

1980 at Rice.....Clarence Verdin returns 2 kicks for tds. Cajuns win 28-21(maybe 21-14).....First win over a Major College team.

Rice was still in the Southwest Conference then.

Basketball....

beating Marquette at Blackham in the NITs was awesome.
Rick Majerus chewed out Marquette fans for sitting on their hands.
Said they should use the USL fans as an example.....article printed in the Milwaukee Sentinal.

Dion Brown hitting last second shot to beat UAB for first post season win since death penalty.

Games at Blackham were unmatched..........

The Cajundome pales in comparison.

Z.
Man, just reading some of this stuff makes me proud to be a cajun fan, but unfortunatly, I dont have stuff like that because I didnt goto many UL events when I was younger because mom and dad didnt. The first UL game I went to was UL vs. Oklahoma in baseball, we stomped em like 9-2. Ive become more of a fan since attending school, so i feel like i got alot to catch up on, but hey, ive been doin my part goin to every athletic event i can since starting college.

Tuffguy
06-15-2004 04:21 AM
Advertisement

Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

By the way Swamp, I got yer message on the Delphi forum, Ive been runnen around crazy lately with band problems, and all sorts of extra hours at work. Anyway, about a student forum, Itd be fun, but aside from a couple of us who really just love sports, its hard to get them to activly participate in this sort of thing. You can IM me if you wanna talk a little more.

Lates,
Tuffguy
06-15-2004 04:50 AM
zeester Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Tuff, you got catching up to do only because you are half my age.

Things are fixing to blow up here, man!

Hang in there. Oh yeah, we have got to meet each other at some pt. in time this year.

I was lucky enough to be in college in the 80's. I got to see Brian Mitchell in the flesh. He was scary.

Z.
06-15-2004 12:34 PM
Tuffguy20 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

believe me, I know good things are goin on around here. I remember when I first started goin to college, I started reading some of the summer practice reports and reading up on coach bustle (My first year of college was his first year as coach) and now Im thinking that this could be something good to tell my kids, like you can said you were there when mitchell played QB and stuff, I'll be able to say that I was here when just started as coach.

Tuffguy
06-15-2004 02:34 PM
Bigtom9221 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I came here same time tuffguy came to UL. Bustle to me is the hope of UL I use to go to games when I was younger, before I came to UL. 1 or 2 football games a year. My earliest greatest memory of UL was the Texas A&M game watching the people take down that goal post. 21 now, my brothers, my parents are all UL graduates.
06-15-2004 03:32 PM
Bigtom9221 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

It sucked for my brother he had to work, while me and my dad went to the game. My brother missed the whole thing he was pissed lol. I am Red and White thru and thru
06-15-2004 03:34 PM
Advertisement

SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Tuffguy and BigTom, were either of you at the UAB game when Bustle picked up his first victory? If so that would have to be a good memory :D I listened to the game on the radio in Mississippi.
06-15-2004 03:41 PM
zeester Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I listened to the game on the radio in Mississippi. >>>>>>

No doubt from a UAB perspective......

were their announcers stunned, or what?

Z.
06-15-2004 05:13 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

zeester Wrote:I listened to the game on the radio in Mississippi. >>>>>>

No doubt from a UAB perspective......

were their announcers stunned, or what?

Z.
to say the least :D
06-15-2004 05:15 PM
Bigtom9221 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Yeah I was there, lol I am in the band so I attend every football, and basketball game. Yeah the UAB game was cool, I remeber it was raining and they had a guy jumped out of the bleachers at half time and the cops were chasing him down lol. I was one of the few hardcore UL supporters in the band that stayed when it was raining at that game. I was also there last year when it rained for the Houston Game, I stayed for that too. Not trying to brag lol. Yeah that was a fun game I thought before going in to the UAB game that we would lose. We picked up the win and I was suprised. GEAUX UL!!!!!!!
06-15-2004 06:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.