Bookmark and Share
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

Super Bowl trip earns Panthers' Delhomme five-year extension
June 17, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Jake Delhomme was rewarded for helping guide the Carolina Panthers to the Super Bowl with a five-year contract extension Thursday worth $38 million.

Delhomme will get $12 million up front, including a signing bonus and option bonuses. Delhomme had one year remaining on his two-year contract.

Delhomme relieved Rodney Peete at halftime against Jacksonville in the first game of the season and led the team back from a 17-point deficit to win 24-23.

He started 19 straight games after that, leading the Panthers to playoff victories over Dallas, St. Louis and Philadelphia.

Then he threw for 323 yards and three touchdowns in a last-minute 32-29 loss to the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

In the regular season, Delhomme threw for 3,219 yards with 19 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

"It's kind of a dream come true," Delhomme said after Thursday's practice. "When you're coming out of college undrafted, you're just trying to hang on by a thread. Luckily I did. It's funny how things work out."

The deal came on the final day of the team's three-week minicamp.

"Everybody in the league is trying identify their quarterback and when you identify that guy, getting him locked up for the future is paramount to your success," Panthers head coach John Fox said. "I'm glad it happened before we got away from here."

Delhomme was also relieved to get the deal done.

"I've been around guys who haven't performed their best with a contract lingering over their heads," Delhomme said. "Having that behind me, now it's just total football when training camp starts."

The Panthers also used the offseason to wrap up Delhomme's favorite target, receiver Steve Smith, with a six-year, $28 million contract.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Congrats Jake!!! You deserve this!!! Keep it up!!! We're still pulling for you down here!!!
06-17-2004 03:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Cajunman02 Wrote:Congrats Jake!!! You deserve this!!! Keep it up!!! We're still pulling for you down here!!!
04-bow
06-17-2004 04:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization

Sometimes, nice guys do get what they deserve.

How long before we see the "Delhomme weight room", or something similar.

just wishful thinking
06-17-2004 06:44 PM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

It would be nice to see Jake donate back to UL, but I want him to donate a good chunk of money back to Teurlings. Maybe we could finally get our own football stadium on campus.

JAKE DELHOMME FIELD

Thats sounds sweet!!!
06-17-2004 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.