Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Return of the Orange Blossom Classic
Bookmark and Share
MaXx Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FIU

Should be a fun event, FIU is trying to increase those attendance numbers and get the word out about our football program.

[Image: obclassic.gif]

<a href='http://www.fiusports.com/football/releases/062804.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.fiusports.com/football/releases/062804.htm</a>

[quote]Monday, June 28, 2004

Florida A&M University and Florida International University
Announce Return of the Orange Blossom Classic

Florida A&M University and Florida International University announced Monday the return of the historic Orange Blossom Classic. The Nov. 27 match-up was finalized during a symbolic Signing Luncheon held at Don Shula’s Golf Club in Miami Lakes.

FAMU President Fred Gainous and FIU President Modesto A. Maidique, were joined by their athletic directors and head football coaches, Miami area dignitaries, Orange Bowl Committee officials and alumni for the event.

"This partnership between Florida A&M, Florida International and the Orange Bowl Committee is one that we believe will be very fruitful,
06-28-2004 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

sounds like a good plan 04-cheers
06-28-2004 05:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ARod Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Swamphound, thanks for inviting us Golden Panther fans over into this forum/discussion board. 04-bow

I will spread the word to the other FIU fans in an attempt to create a buzz. :wave:

P.S. When you finally find some FAU fans, give me a buzz :laugh:
07-03-2004 02:43 AM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

ARod Wrote:Swamphound, thanks for inviting us Golden Panther fans over into this forum/discussion board. 04-bow

I will spread the word to the other FIU fans in an attempt to create a buzz. :wave:

P.S. When you finally find some FAU fans, give me a buzz :laugh:
Welcome aboard, and bring all the FIU fans you can, the more the merrier.
07-03-2004 07:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I think the OB Classic is a FANTASTIC idea; this has the potential to create a good rivalry and get some great exposure for the SBC. Who knows we might have the FAMU band in the SBC someday; yeah, they can bring their football team along!

Go FIU!!!
Go SBC Football!!!
04-cheers
07-03-2004 03:15 PM
moloch_322 Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawt chix & UCF
Crappies

I LOVE the idea, and I hope it does bring out the best for the FIU program in the near future. I would love it if USF, UCF, FAU, FAMU, and FIU all created more rivalry 'classics' between each other. The OB Classic and the Shula Bowl are awesome for you guys. Can't wait to finally meet USF in 2005 :monty: They can only avoid us for so much longer.
07-03-2004 05:39 PM
ARod Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Hey moloch_322,

Why isn't USF Bulls considered your rivals in which you guys can play them on a yearly basis? Do you know 03-confused
And our rivals to the north, FAU, almost shocked you guys last year. You guys have a pretty difficult schedule to begin with this year and your QB Schneider is gone. Who's filling his place?
07-03-2004 06:13 PM
Advertisement

moloch_322 Offline
All American

Crappies

ARod Wrote:Hey moloch_322,

Why isn't USF Bulls considered your rivals in which you guys can play them on a yearly basis? Do you know 03-confused
And our rivals to the north, FAU, almost shocked you guys last year. You guys have a pretty difficult schedule to begin with this year and your QB Schneider is gone. Who's filling his place?
We've been pursuing USF since they began play in '97, but they always turned us down. Until last year when we were having an off year did they accept a 2 game series beginning in 2005 with the first game in Tampa. We play them regularly in baseball, very rarely in basketball. Starting QB in '04 is Steven Moffett, young but with lots of potential. Overall training reports for the team have been really good. O'Leary has been bringing this program in the right direction. This is the last season we open with a killer opening schedule, Id love to pull an upset versus Wisconsin or West Virginia though. 04-cheers
07-03-2004 06:39 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Don't take this as a flame, but I really didn't know FIU had a football team. Do they play all sports in sun belt? Is their football D1-AA?
07-03-2004 07:54 PM
untbowler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

FIU plays all sports in the Sun Belt and currently are in the process of moving up to 1-A. They have only be around for 3 years, I believe football wise.
07-03-2004 08:19 PM
Advertisement

MaXx Offline
2nd String

Yes this upcoming season will be our 3rd season of football. We were I-AA independants the first two years and this year we are in our transition year to play I-A in the Sun Belt.
07-03-2004 11:39 PM
moloch_322 Offline
All American

Crappies

One thing I admire about FIU is something that UCF, USF, and FAU don't have...an on-campus stadium, though no very big, its a start.
07-03-2004 11:43 PM
MaXx Offline
2nd String

moloch_322 Wrote:One thing I admire about FIU is something that UCF, USF, and FAU don't have...an on-campus stadium, though no very big, its a start.
Yep, having our own stadium is something that helps, especially when it comes to revenue. We can pretty much keep the money to ourselves rather than renting a place. There are plans in the works to expand the stadium to 33,000 seats. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.
07-03-2004 11:46 PM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

MaXx Wrote:
moloch_322 Wrote:One thing I admire about FIU is something that UCF, USF, and FAU don't have...an on-campus stadium, though no very big, its a start.
Yep, having our own stadium is something that helps, especially when it comes to revenue. We can pretty much keep the money to ourselves rather than renting a place. There are plans in the works to expand the stadium to 33,000 seats. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.
That's going to take alot more money, and the school is going to make sure that FIU can actually field 30K fans. Most MAC schools have stadiums in the 25K range.

With FIU's current stadium being just 7K and 3 million, it was simply a drop in the bucket and very easy to produce. I think a 20K stadium would be reasonable, given FIU can put 20K in the stadium every often or so.
07-04-2004 05:21 PM
MaXx Offline
2nd String

The Knight Time Wrote:
MaXx Wrote:
That's going to take alot more money, and the school is going to make sure that FIU can actually field 30K fans. Most MAC schools have stadiums in the 25K range.

With FIU's current stadium being just 7K and 3 million, it was simply a drop in the bucket and very easy to produce. I think a 20K stadium would be reasonable, given FIU can put 20K in the stadium every often or so.
Actually, depending on the setup, our current stadium can hold anywhere from 12,000 to 17,000. The first year we had the 17,000 setup and last year we had the 12,000 setup. I'm pretty sure this year will be the 12,000 setup again which removes the corner endzone seats. However, our athletic director has said that a 33,000 seat stadium is what they are pushing for.
07-05-2004 12:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.