Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Facilities Watch
Bookmark and Share
ZippyRulz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Reason
NCAAbbs LUG

<a href='http://gozips.collegesports.com/genrel//080204aaa.html' target='_blank'>http://gozips.collegesports.com/genrel//080204aaa.html</a>
08-03-2004 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

imradioboy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Looks nice. If you had the choice of a renovated Rubber Bowl and new basketball arena, or new on-campus football stadium and continue to play in the JAR, which would you pick??
08-04-2004 01:31 PM
Chris from WV Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Very nice.

However, team's won't need to prepare for the endzone fade pattern in the Akron playbook. . .

[Image: newtrack3-lg.jpg]

Players could slip on the track and break something. :eek:
08-04-2004 01:45 PM
Advertisement

C Roo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

imradioboy Wrote:Looks nice. If you had the choice of a renovated Rubber Bowl and new basketball arena, or new on-campus football stadium and continue to play in the JAR, which would you pick??
Rubber Bowl is well beyond renovations...it is 64 years old and it's time has passed. To be fair, it looks pretty good with the new turf, but the infrastructure is held together with toothpicks and band aids.

I saw Huggins win 20+ 4 consecutive years in the JAR, so winning there isn't impossible. The MACC Center ain't no prize, yet Kent continues to win 20+ and recruit well. It doesn't seem like a primo hoops facility is mandatory to be successful?
08-04-2004 10:11 PM
Zip Watcher Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: students.

IMO, the JAR is fine. 6k is a pretty loud crowd in the building, though it won't ever approach the atmosphere it had in the Huggins era. There's been reconfiguration that cut a bunch of seats out (late 80's / early 90's). One of the things I won't soon forget about the OVC tourney final against MTSU was how hot it was in there. They let any student with an ID in at the gate (no ticket required) and then sold 5 or 6000 tickets. The place was jammed & hot. I'd rather have that problem again than have 3000 people in a 10000 seat gym, which is what we'll have until we can return to consistent winning.

The Rubberbowl is fine for the Akron City Series & HS playoffs. The Zips need an on-campus bowl to complete the upgrades. If you're going to renovate, I'd renovate the JAR a bit & build a new FB stadium.
08-05-2004 12:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

C Roo Wrote:Rubber Bowl is well beyond renovations...it is 64 years old and it's time has passed. To be fair, it looks pretty good with the new turf, but the infrastructure is held together with toothpicks and band aids.
Peden is 75 years old and looks great........

Should age really be a barrier to love?
08-05-2004 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigbear Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

KitCat, the Rubber Bowl was not maintained. You can find stadiums older than the RB in fine shape, but someone dropped the ball around here several years ago.

Anyway I'd rather have the new stadium on campus, which I hear is being planned right now.
08-05-2004 01:10 PM
Advertisement

ZippyRulz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Reason
NCAAbbs LUG

Chris from WV Wrote:Very nice.

However, team's won't need to prepare for the endzone fade pattern in the Akron playbook. . .

[Image: newtrack3-lg.jpg]

Players could slip on the track and break something. :eek:
Yeah, talk about cutting corners...probably a budget & land space limitation. Or maybe just to keep the track at regulation length? I'm also a bit disappointed the roof is not high enough to allow punting & punt return practice. I guess that would have busted the budget also. Still much better than what we had before though !
08-05-2004 08:30 PM
Zipsrifle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Though the RB is in bad shape, I think it is salvageable. Do I want to salvage it....no. It's just not in a good spot. What I can't understand is how they can have the runway just a few hundred yards from the stadium? I thought they would have made a rule against that.

I would rather have a new stadium than a new basketball arena. The JAR is in pretty good shape and I think that the money would be best spent in a new football stadium.
08-05-2004 09:44 PM
Advertisement

imradioboy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I too think the JAR is a nice place. I would like to see seats behind both baskets, not just one. It is also a great place to see a concert. Some of the best shows I have ever seen were in the JAR. Despite being about the same size as the MACC in Kent, it sounds way better.
08-07-2004 12:42 PM
REALIST Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Crappies

There are seats behind both baskets.

And about the corners that were cut, most indoor field house fields are only 80 yards, meaning the corners are not cut. This field is 100 yards long, which does not fit perfectly inside. I'd rather have the 100 yards and miss a few corners than 80 yards.

The roof is high enough to kick. They have been kicking there for the past few weeks.
08-07-2004 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.