Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toppers Recieving votes
Bookmark and Share
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators

Toppers are now getting votes in the AP Top 25 poll.

GO TOPS!!

<a href='http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls/ap' target='_blank'>http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls/ap</a>
01-03-2005 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

They definitely should be receiving more votes. But all this will change on January 27! :D
01-03-2005 09:50 PM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators

Looks like we just need to guard two players.
01-03-2005 10:05 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!

If we beat Virginia we will be ranked. Makes me wonder if it is just ACC voters that want to make Virginia look better for beating/losing to us. But WKU has a very tough 3 game road swing coming up. There is a distinct possibility that we will lose 2 out of the 3. I hope to go 2-1 and dream that we will go 3-0. We'll see. I'll fully admit that we've played a weak schedule this year... I think that it was exactly what this young team needed to build confidence and sharpen thier skills. But its time to step up to the plate and see how good we really can be this year. These three games will be very telling.
01-03-2005 10:19 PM
Advertisement

Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

No joke. You shut down Wade and we are hopeless. But for some reason, this team plays their hearts out in the Cajun Dome and well, we get WKU in the Dome this year.
01-03-2005 10:20 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

No joke. You shut down Wade and we are hopeless. But for some reason, this team plays their hearts out in the Cajun Dome and well, we get WKU in the Dome this year.

Home games are like that. I predict that WKU will lose 3 games in conference this year... maybe 4. Probably all of them on the road. I'm not sure where those losses come at. Louisiana Lafayette is certainly a contender for one. MTSU is another. The good thing... (or is it the scary thing?) is that the east is very balanced this year. There are no bad teams in the east this year. The number one seed in the east and the team that doesn't make the SBCT from the east could have just a couple of losses making the difference between them.
01-03-2005 10:36 PM
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I thought they're having the full tournament again this year.
01-03-2005 11:15 PM
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

Donators

All 11 teams will be in the tournament.
01-04-2005 10:49 AM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

All 11 teams will be in the tournament.

Really? They changed thier mind fast. That's a good thing. It was kind of silly to start with.
01-04-2005 10:59 AM
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

This isn't a dig at Western.

The reason they went to the smaller format last year is they wanted to cut a day off the tournament and without a second venue close by they couldn't do all 11 teams in the tournament.
This year I believe they're using two gyms.
01-04-2005 02:43 PM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

This isn't a dig at Western.

The reason they went to the smaller format last year is they wanted to cut a day off the tournament and without a second venue close by they couldn't do all 11 teams in the tournament.
This year I believe they're using two gyms.

Odd, they did it the year before. And other conferences have done similar tournaments with one venue. And quite frankly I'm not so sure that some of the games that didn't feature WKU or MTSU (close by) couldn't have been played at a local high school. (Also not a dig at any school). At any rate, I am happy that this has been reversed.
01-04-2005 09:41 PM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators

Just so their is no confusion, I think theboro knew what he was saying, but it was not the choice of WKU, as host, to limit the teams. It was voted on by the SBC presidents I believe.

While it did make for an interesting season, it was VERY close, and it added a LOT of value to those games, it also deprived kids of an oppritunity to go to the tournament, which is a great experience.

The long-term solution is to run seperate mens and womens tournaments. Hopefully our conference and attendance can get there.
01-04-2005 10:59 PM
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Jeff,
My understanding is that , though the Tourney is at Murphy Center in '06 it is being jointly "hosted" by WKU.

I have talked to a couple of people within the MT athletic department who said that playing the women's games at the Municipal Auditorium has been contemplated.

Personally I think that's a little goofy. Lipscomb's Allen Arena would be perfect. It's newly renovated, seats about 2K and is only about 30 miles from Murfreesboro.

But then you run into the issue of wanting both championship games on the same floor, and whether or not it's fair to make a team move gyms before a tourny championship game.

It appears to be a headache whatever way you slice it.

I'd love to have it at the GEC in Nashville the years they're not hosting the SEC championship.

Though I'm sure other member schools would not be thrilled about the definite home court advantage MT and Western would enjoy.

Anyhoo, just my two cents.
01-05-2005 03:23 AM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Though I'm sure other member schools would not be thrilled about the definite home court advantage MT and Western would enjoy.

You would think our schools could join up and out bid everyone to get the tourney in GEC every year. (Doesn't the SEC usually have thier tourney a week later than us?) Actually the rest of the conference could do worse. Obviously this is a great location for MTSU and WKU, but it is pretty close for the Arkansas teams and of course Nashville has Southwest flights to just about everywhere.

And the arena is just spectacular. I love going there.
01-05-2005 09:24 AM
galojah Offline
All American

Donators

Gaylord is a dream. The SBC would lose money have the tournament there, and would look pethetic on TV. Plus while their would be great crowds at the MTSU and WKU games, they would not be as much as if the game was in the Boro or in Bowling Green. Also you will lose out on a lot of tournament pass tickets cause several fans at MTSU and WKU that are basketball junkies that might have gone to all the games being played, probably wouldn't because it would require a drive.

I know when the tournament was at Diddle the past two years, I went to every game. If the tournament was in Nashville, I wouldn't. I am sure MTSU fans would be the same.

Question is, would you gain enough casual fans in Nashville to fill seats? I doubt it.
01-05-2005 11:13 AM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

You make a good point, Jeff. It will be an interesting experiment when the tourney is there in a couple of years.
01-05-2005 05:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.