Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent-YSU
KingGuin Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Ok, I'll get it started for this week-

YSU-
still plays typical YSU smashmouth with 70/30 mix with run/pass. Deep at RB with speed and power. Mike Burns power and Josh Cayson/Darius Peterson speed. QB Aaron Marshall is 7-2 as a starter sice taking over job midway last season. Has improved accuracy but IMO avg runner. Backup Matt Rycraft is dual threat (recruited by Syracuse but grades kept IA schools away) & has 4.4 speed and strong arm. YSU should use both with Marshall getting most snaps. YSU is deep at WR with Kyle Smith (dad is GM for San Diego Chargers) being the go to guy. He has deceptive speed and is very sure handed. Phil Larmon, TJ Peterson, & Chris Goffer are also names to look for at WR. TE are much involved with Mike Roberts and 6'7 Shawn Carlson. OL is also experienced but somewhat undersized with only 2 guys over 300#.

Defense is young with only one starter back on the front seven but many return with game experience. South Carolina transfer Ron-John Finn just saw his first action this past Sat. Justin Dellarose leads the LB's with Joe Juby and Yancy Marcum are also playing well. The secondary is the most experienced group of the defense with Sherod Holmes & Scott Theissen leading the way. A couple of true freshman from Florida also have been seeing action. Of course the key will be containing Cribbs with YSU mixing up schemes and coverages. We know Kent has a couple of good backs so our run defense will have to step up big time Sat. YSU has played some good running QB's in the past in Steve McNair ('94 playoffs) and Daunte Culpepper (98 reg. season) so I'm sure they'll break out the game tape of those games.
09-07-2003 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

I'll throw the Pitt game plan/results out the window and use what I saw against Akron as my point of reference.

On D, the secondary is young and not very good. They seem fairly strong up front and were fairly effective against Akron's running game. If I were you, I would hope that YSU switches to 30/70 run/pass mix.

On O, Cribbs runs a lot less. Alston is healthy and looked good against Akron. They spread the field a lot more than in the past. Antwan Smith is an "athlete" that plays all over the field. He will line up at RB, QB and WR. He is fast and quite talented.

It will be a battle. It should be fun. Is your band coming?

If the team that played Akron shows up, KSU 31 YSU 17.
The one from Pitt, KSU 17 YSU 14.

We'll see...
09-08-2003 10:47 AM
KingGuin Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I agree Flash, it will be a battle. If Kent's high powered offense shows up and plays like they did against Akron, YSU's young defensive may have problems. YSU has only thrown 30 passes in the first two games but they haven't had to pass against 2 DII's. I think they will open up the offense more against Kent.

Not sure if the YSU band is coming, I assume they would. They did in 2000. I got my tickets today, Sect 1 (that's where they put us this year) Row 24. I won't get there until KO with my son playing pee-wee football at 3:00. Should be an exciting atmosphere. 20k+ at the game would be great. Not sure how many Guin fans will make the trip, at least 4-5k will with many tailgating. Stop by and say "hi" to them, very friendly group of fans.
09-08-2003 11:11 AM
IKE Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Kents Secondary had trouble against Pitt and Akron..They need help..the Run D I thought was ok... The line was pushed back but after Miree got throught the linebackers got on him quick, good core...I really thought on a few long pass attempts that the Kent recievers had a step on the Pitt DB's, for Pitt they need to do a better job at that, the one Kent reciever almost came up with a catch between two defenders...the O-Line was not too bad against a great Pitt D, they pass protected good but did nothing on the ground...KSU is getting there and I think may beat the guins who have clobbered PSAC teams...I am still MAD :mad: over you guys beating IUP a few years ago, WE HAD YOU GUYS...except for a late fumble 03-wink
09-08-2003 11:49 AM
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Ike,

Thanks for the report from Pitt. Too bad we didn't give you guys more of a game. 03-puke
09-08-2003 11:54 AM
Advertisement

IKE Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The Flash Wrote:Ike,

Thanks for the report from Pitt. Too bad we didn't give you guys more of a game. 03-puke
Thank you! nothing to be ashamed of .. I am proud to say my two favorite teams played, my favorite won and the college atmosphere at heinz was something I thought I would never see from my panthers again...If Kent would have connected on a few close long bombs it may of turned out closer...it was good to see the western PA kids from kent playing...Kent is improving, but the fans , including me need to make it to a game...I have not been there in about Ten years...the kids need to stay confident..they can win !
09-08-2003 12:10 PM
KingGuin Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

[quote="IKE"]KSU is getting there and I think may beat the guins who have clobbered PSAC teams...I am still MAD
09-08-2003 12:17 PM
IKE Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

[quote="KingGuin"] [quote="IKE"]KSU is getting there and I think may beat the guins who have clobbered PSAC teams...I am still MAD
09-08-2003 05:07 PM
IAA Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Something to say as well. With the new MAC rules that there are no I-AA away games ... this may be the last time we play Kent for quite some time. Word has it that Akron & YSU are at least back on speaking terms ... I still hate them (but I cannot blame a team for a coaches big mouth). Just a losing team & a losing coach that was not enough of a man to show any respect. Also, YSU has been talking to BG & UT. UT is a definate future opponent. I any case, if it is the last time in a while, I REALLY want to keep that trophy!!
09-08-2003 05:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.