Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The S factor in the YSU game
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Was doing some reading in the Youngstown paper about YSU. I think that the factor in this game will be special teams. The "S" factor, if you will. More specifically, KSU kick and punt return against YSU coverage. It appears that coverage was a weakness against their DII opponents. With Alston on kicks and Jon Drager on punts, Kent's speed will hurt YSU.

I look for Kent to score at least 1 TD on kick returns and to have solid field position most of the game. This very well may be the difference in the game.

If I'm wrong I'll admit it...

GO FLASHES!
09-12-2003 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KingGuin Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

You are right, KO coverage could be a problem for YSU. THey have been weak there the first two games. If Kent returns one for good yardage or a TD, YSU will kick it "high" forcing a fair catch (on kickoffs). You may see that from the start anyway to eliminate any big gains. As far as punt coverage, I haven't been able to evaluate because YSU hasn't punted much.

YSU special teams has improved from last year. Our kicker (JUCO transfer) can hit from 50+ if he has too. We haven't had that since Jeff Wilkins who is now with the St Louis Rams. When Tressel was here he emphasised special teams over everything else, something that has fallen since he left.
09-12-2003 12:13 PM
Flashfan88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

A must win game for the Flashes!! No offense to the good YSU fans posting here .

YSU has had our number more often; but if the Flashes are making any progress they
cannot lose games they should be winning.

Go Flashes!!

My take - KSU - 27
YSU - 17 03-wink
09-12-2003 04:08 PM
Advertisement

ysuindy1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

You sure nailed it on the importance of special teams. The fumble on the kickoff was THE play of the game.

Congrats to the Flashes. Too bad this will be the last game in this series for the forseeable future.
09-13-2003 08:01 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

YSU came to Dix to play, as expected. The Pengiuns make their DI case in every MAC game; this was no exception.

The reason YSU wants in the MAC is the same one KSU and Akron have for not letting you in; just think what Penguins would be like with more rides to hand out. We are recruiting the the same backyard and fighting for the same fans. NCAA sports is not a democracy where everyone gets their shot.

At any rate, the game was just as close as I expected. Good luck the rest of the year.
09-13-2003 08:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.