Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football recruiting
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies

Does anyone know how recruiting is going?
01-28-2004 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Rankings fromt he MAC board:

1) Miami
2) Bowling Green
3) NIU
4) Marshall
5) Toledo
6) CMU
7) WMU
8) Ohio
9) UCF
10) EMU
11) Ball St
12) Akron
13) Kent St
14) Buffalo

Yes, it is certainly evident why Dean has earned an extension. 03-banghead
01-30-2004 08:20 PM
nashvillegoldenflash Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Below is an article by Gary Estwick from the Beacon Journal regarding a Kent State recruit.

Floridian prepares to head north
Hard-hitting safety will try to bring consistency to the Flashes' secondary
By Gary Estwick
Beacon Journal staff writer

Fritz Jacques has heard a lot of snow jokes lately.

Jacques experienced fluffy white flakes for the first time in early January, when he visited Kent State on a football recruiting trip.

``Everybody jokes with me about that,'' said Jacques, who lives in semitropical Naples, Fla. ``They tell me I'm going to be sick.''

He thinks he'll be OK, and that's why Jacques, a hard-hitting safety from Lely High, will sign with the Golden Flashes on Wednesday's national signing day.

The 6-foot, 170-pound Jacques will join a KSU secondary that struggled to find consistency last season. The Flashes' pass defense ranked last in the Mid-American Conference.

The Golden Flashes' new teammate might be able to help. Jacques said the KSU coaching staff has told him he will play safety.

Chris Metzger, the football coach at Lely High, has called Jacques ``the hardest hitter in Southwest Florida.''

Jacques was a Class 5A All-Florida honorable mention pick after compiling 111 tackles and two interceptions as a senior.

``He is a physically dominating presence,'' Metzger said. ``He just throws his body around with reckless abandon.''

Jacques said he picked KSU over Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Northeastern, Eastern Kentucky and others.

Jacques runs the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds.

``He really didn't start making waves until his senior year, so he hasn't gotten the type of buildup over several seasons that other recruits have received,'' said Derek Redd, a reporter who writes about high school sports at the Naples Daily News.

``Plus, Lely had won only one game in the two previous seasons.''

The Trojans did reach the playoffs this past season.

Metzger said Jacques had a solid performance at the University of Miami's football camp.

``He wasn't on any lists when he got there,'' Metzger said. ``He was able to go to UM and a combine and get out there and compete versus the top kids. People started turning heads.''

Jacques also bulked up in the weight room and made academic improvements in the classroom.

Metzger said Jacques excels at rising to challenges, from making big hits to helping out his offense by rushing for 215 yards and three touchdowns in Lely's final two games.

``He's one of those kids that could potentially be one of those big cover corners (and) also has the physical attributes that maybe some small corners don't have,'' Metzger said.

Jacques should have a smooth transition to college because of his basic knowledge of zone defenses and his ability to read offenses.

Before Jacques arrives at KSU next fall, he will finish the high school basketball season; he is the starting point guard at Lely. Jacques will also compete in sprints on the track team.

Then his next challenge will start.

``I thought the program was getting better every year,'' Jacques said. ``I'm looking to try my hardest and make an impact in helping the team win a MAC championship.''
02-01-2004 11:22 AM
Advertisement

1st String

I Root For:

Below is a list of recruits from Ohio who have committed to Kent according to The Insiders.

Shawn Donaldson --- OL --- Dover --- 6'4 -- 270 -- 5.4
David Filippi --- LB --- Dover --- 6'3 -- 225 -- 4.75
Phil McNeal --- DL --- Warren Harding --- 6'0 -- 305 -- 5.2

Bios:

Shawn Donaldson - Good looking prospect who has been over looked with one of states top players on same team. Getting strong looks from Kentucky and has received an offer from Kent State. Selected to play in the Grange Insurance North/South All-Star Classic.

David Filippi - Good looking player. Had 101 tackles with 9 sacks, recoverd 1 fumble and pulled in 2 interceptions as a Jr. Is a 2 year starter and plays 2 other sports. Has played LB-Of Guard and Fullback in high school.

Phil McNeal - Big strong interior lineman from Ohio Power Warren G Harding. McNeal was a key point in the line on last year's Division I (big school) State Runner Up team. McNeal is good using his hands and has quick feet. Could be a sleeper prospect.
02-01-2004 12:34 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Until this whole thing with Cribbs gets resolved one way or the other, I just can't get excited about KSU football. Sorry for lack of excitement
right now.

BTW, anyone know if we've lost anyone? In years past, we've had a few bail after their first season. ( Guess that's not much different than any program.) As we had a pretty decent class last year, did we hang on to them?
02-01-2004 03:27 PM
1st String

I Root For:

Since tomorrow is signing day, we will soon have the complete list of Kent's 2004 recruits. Below is another player who has made a verbal commitment to Kent State. Other players who also have made verbal commitments to Kent include Shawn Donaldson, David Filippi, and Phil McNeal.

Derek Burrell

Position:
LB

Height / Weight:
6'2" , 225

Verbal

Signing School:
Kent

Home:
Midlothian, VA

High/Prep School/J.C.:
James River/Hargrave MA, Va
02-03-2004 05:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.