Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is college athletics turning into another professional apparatus?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Is college athletics turning into another professional apparatus?
The answer to that may seem obvious. If the players get paid straight up then it's obviously professional, but that's actually not what I'm talking about.

I'm also not here to advocate for a model that separates the players from the student body, I don't want to be misunderstood. What I am asking though is what sort of potential does college athletics have if they essentially become another avenue for professional athletes?

In other words, what if we're not worried about traditional eligibility standards.

1. Scholarship limits only serve a purpose if your goal is to create parity across a large body of programs. We're obviously moving away from a place where we're interested in creating parity outside the top echelon.

2. Do we really need to worry about players having 4 years of eligibility? As long as they're attending school maybe half time and passing all their classes, then you could make a strong argument these players are just professionals going after a degree in their spare time.

3. Perhaps most importantly, if these conferences and schools become more concerned with monetizing certain aspects then could see the economic impact rise to the level of a major professional sports league? I mean, college football is really only 2nd to the NFL when it comes to popularity. Then you add in the potential of keeping fans attention all year with basketball and baseball under the same roof? How long does it take before these entities stop trying to serve the academic mission and start taking full advantage of popularity to create a quasi-professional league in how they operate?

Again, I'm not saying I want a world where the academics don't matter. I think it's important for these kids and for these communities that we be more concerned with generating alumni than simply hiring athletes. With that said, I see some of these earth shaking changes as a means to capitalize on untapped markets.

The fan bases of college athletics are perfectly capable of supporting a more robust system. Who is to say that ALL the best players have to be in the NFL or the NBA or the MLB?

I mean, let's think about it. Most of these professional leagues in America exist because a long time ago people saw a business opportunity in utilizing athletes that were no longer eligible to compete at the college level. Of course, the MLB is an older league, but with minor league teams disappearing across the country and with MLB prices just being impractical...there's an opportunity even there for the colleges to capitalize on a fan demand.
07-30-2022 09:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Is college athletics turning into another professional apparatus? - AllTideUp - 07-30-2022 09:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.