McElroy dropping hints?
Bookmark and Share
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
RE: McElroy dropping hints?
(07-07-2022 05:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-07-2022 04:43 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(07-07-2022 06:14 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  And then there's this...which I have a hard time arguing with.

Interesting subject matter you present, ATU.

We’ve seen how amiable the “alliance” lasted (lol). It proved nothing more than a PR gimmick in the wake of UT and OU announcing their departure to the SEC.

The ESPN initiative to have the ACC & PAC under a co-op media arrangement sounds intriguing on the surface; however, implementing and sustaining it will be the challenge. Herding cats will be easier. Yet, it is financially based. Therefore, the amount of money the network disburses to the two conferences shall determine the thickness of the glue for the most part.

Back to the SEC. I don’t know how much brilliance the nerdy human calculators at the SEC and ESPN will further show. However, finding available, prospective new members that can assuredly add a minimum of 30-35 million or so each to the coffers, and sustain and grow such, are quite limited. Clemson and FSU can do it. Notre Dame could as well if that angle ever gets serious. North Carolina and Miami probably would be in the ballpark. Maybe even NCSU and/or UVA if they are the lone ones from their respective states.

We have to note that figures of a school’s value in the ACC, will shoot upwards by several thousand just by having that new SEC labeling. It is also affected by who comes along with them.

Not this time! Stop thinking about valuations. They are mostly off the table this time. The Big 24 is being built for large market reach. The SEC is being Built for Brand and Content value.

FOX and ESPN want a 12-16 member playoff confined to B1G and SEC members and it would worth around 2 billion to them. They want a new independent hoops tourney that makes over 1 billion. They want all members paid essentially 100 million - 120 million. This with NIL will help fix some of the lack of competitiveness we now experience even in the upper echelon of schools. Restricting the upper tier to 48 schools also means more top recruits to fewer schools and that helps with competition as well.

So if ESPN wants UNC and NC State so Duke and Virgina go to FOX it works. If the SEC picks up Miami and FSU it works.

They want a North vs South rivalry so expect geographically sensitive divisions.

It is what it is, the start of a college super bowl between 2 leagues.

I keep coming up with 5 ACC schools to really be interested in: Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC and VT. If UNC, Duke and UVA all go to the Big 10, I like NC State's metrics. I've posted on here before about 21 being a decent number with three 7 team divisions, but it seems like its either 20 or 24, and so that leaves 3 spots. But I don't know if schools like Georgia Tech are worth it (no offense meant!), or if the Big might grab Georgia Tech. If as you say "throw valuations off the table" I guess they are in.

But I don't think valuations are completely off the table or Washington/Oregon would already be gone. Yes the Big needs room for ND, but there would be space for them anyway.

And the PAC hasn't already invited SDSU.

I don't think valuations are completely off the table (obviously, in some cases; i.e, the Big 10 isn't inviting SJSU, for example). They may have been pushed to the side, but they still matter to some degree.

It's intriguing especially for the Big 10, because the SEC does have probably a dozen or so schools they could legitimately go after if needed (especially if you throw in schools like Pitt and WVU, and more if you add Ok St and Texas Tech, Kansas, etc.). But the Big 10 has a more limited number of options. Would Pitt/Syracuse have value to them? If so, they don't have room for UNC and friends, they would need UNC on their own, etc.
07-08-2022 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
McElroy dropping hints? - AllTideUp - 07-06-2022, 10:17 PM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - murrdcu - 07-07-2022, 01:55 AM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - JRsec - 07-07-2022, 02:06 AM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - AllTideUp - 07-07-2022, 06:04 AM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - AllTideUp - 07-07-2022, 06:14 AM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - OdinFrigg - 07-07-2022, 04:43 PM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - JRsec - 07-07-2022, 05:17 PM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - Soobahk40050 - 07-08-2022 11:29 AM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - Nevermoor - 07-07-2022, 08:48 AM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - Soobahk40050 - 07-07-2022, 11:34 AM
RE: McElroy dropping hints? - AllTideUp - 07-10-2022, 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.